PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA To Shut Down

Pages : [1] 2

Daveway
Dec 5, 2007, 11:17 PM
Via Engadget.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/05/rumor-compusa-going-out-of-business-in-january/

Can't say I'm surprised after closing a majority of stores a few months ago and no longer being the exclusive big box retailer for Macs

zakee00
Dec 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
I sure hope not! I love CompUSA!

Best Buy is pure evil :(

hexonxonx
Dec 6, 2007, 03:19 AM

I bought my MBP at BestBuy. Why? BestBuy gave me a credit card, CompUSA didn't.

siurpeeman
Dec 6, 2007, 03:23 AM
a bit sad but hardly surprised. i don't even remember the last time i stepped foot in a compusa.

Cooknn
Dec 6, 2007, 06:39 AM
I go there all the time. It will be a sad day. Also, it always sucks aesthetically when a large store in a nice shopping center boards up.

Lancetx
Dec 6, 2007, 06:52 AM
a bit sad but hardly surprised. i don't even remember the last time i stepped foot in a compusa.

Same here. They haven't had any decent deals there at all since their store contraction started last spring anyway. It's been apparent that the company has been slowly dying now for a good while.

CashGap
Dec 6, 2007, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised.

Best Buy is killing them on price, store locations, depth of stock, and layout. Our CompUSA's (Nashville) haven't been refreshed since the late 90's. They have a very "Slummish" vibe, while the Best Buys are all crisp and clean.

It's also apparent that someone at CompUSA loses a bonus every time they open a cash register line, because they seem to view it as an absolute moral defeat any time they have more than one open! Best Buy seems to staff at a level that keeps checkout quick rather than painful.

Rodimus Prime
Dec 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
I would not be surpise to seem them go. They have been getting pounded by everyone else.. I used the compUSA here in lubbock because it is easy for me to get to but it selection is well crap compared to best buy. Added in the fact you have stores like fry's expanding and building in new location it starting to hurt even worse. Fry's takes all the computer geeks away and Best Buy taking everyone else.

yg17
Dec 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
good riddance....

Eidorian
Dec 6, 2007, 10:15 AM
I've bought a lot of Mac software there over the years.

Tends to be cheaper and with rebates when compared to the Apple Store.

gkarris
Dec 6, 2007, 12:40 PM
CompUSA wasn't it SoftwareHouse then CompUSA, then bought ComputerCity (owned by Tandy). I remember buying my Performa 6100 System from ComputerCity before they were bought out (those were the days...)

They have recently gone down hill and closed all their Chicagoland stores anyways. They're already gone here, everyone's a BestBuy, and most Apple customers are at the Apple Store, popping up all over here now...

Aeolius
Dec 6, 2007, 12:48 PM
Odd. The other day I read about a new Apple Store opening "early next year" in Greensboro NC, my neck of the woods. Now I see this rumor about the remaining CompUSA stores closing.

The Greensboro CompUSA store has maintained its "cozy corner" for Mac users for some time. The resident Apple Solutions Consultant is courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. It seems unclear, whether he would be transitioning from CompUSA to the Apple Store, but I hope that to be the case.

You have to wonder about the timing of it all, though. The Greensboro Apple Store is announced a week prior to news about Greensboro's CompUSA closing? I know CompUSA sells other items other than Apple products, but it makes you wonder if that was serendipity or a well calculated plan.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 6, 2007, 12:58 PM
It's too bad that CompUSA is shuttering its remaining stores, but I suppose this is to be expected given how poorly the one store near me has been doing. I believe it has been closed, now, though I haven't checked.

I liked CompUSA back when they were better at selling Macs. They had a decent Mac section, compared to, say, Best Buy. The people there don't always know what a Mac is, let alone where the Apple section is in their store.

gkarris
Dec 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
Odd. The other day I read about a new Apple Store opening "early next year" in Greensboro NC, my neck of the woods. Now I see this rumor about the remaining CompUSA stores closing.

The Greensboro CompUSA store has maintained its "cozy corner" for Mac users for some time. The resident Apple Solutions Consultant is courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. It seems unclear, whether he would be transitioning from CompUSA to the Apple Store, but I hope that to be the case.

The one at BestBuy is an actual Apple Employee so I would assume he'd go over to BestBuy or the new Apple Store.

Aeolius
Dec 6, 2007, 01:06 PM
The one at BestBuy is an actual Apple Employee so I would assume he'd go over to BestBuy or the new Apple Store.

I don't even know if the local Best Buy carries Mac products. Last time I went in there, more than a year ago, they did not. I loathe that store with a passion. Seems like every time I go in there, some idiot is blaring the car stereos so loud it makes me nauseous. Also, their music selection is pitiful.

maestro55
Dec 7, 2007, 03:24 PM
They shut the CompUSA down in the Waco, Texas area a couple of years ago. It as good for Apple products but the service was poor. They had Best Buy, Circuit City, and my personal favorite Altex Computers & Electronics to compete with. The sad thing is that without CompUSA the Waco area doesn't have any store for Apple computers as our local Best Buy isn't carrying the computers yet. I often wonder if Apple would have a market for a retail store at the new Central Texas Market Place or even our Richland Mall. With three college campuses in the area and a growing economy I have to think it might be possible, though I might be long gone from the area before it happens.

Cheers to CompUSA.

wiz7dome
Dec 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
I have a slightly different take. In the cities I've lived in CompUSA has never been the major Mac retailer. There is a store called MicroCenter that is based in Ohio. These stores have Apple stores in them that go beyond an isle or back section of the store. Perhaps they along with Fry's (which has a complete line of Mac products) has given them a run for their money. I understand the comment about CompUSA's slummy vibe. The overall "look and feel" of the store is largely unkept. Now Fry's is the "Walmart" of electronic stores however they keep their inventory up to date. Best Buy I don't consider an Apple Retailer any more than Guitar Center or Sam Ash. These stores are also places that you could purchase a Mac, but the scope of what they carry is limited to the overall stores focus. You can buy an iMac or Mac Pro with FCS but you cannot buy Aperture because its beyond what a music store would ever need to stock even though its made by Apple.

Then again...............maybe CompUSA just sucked?

FF_productions
Dec 7, 2007, 04:09 PM
CompUSA has been going downhill for years now, now they will finally just be over with.

So what retail stores are left? Circuit City and Best Buy?

wiz7dome
Dec 7, 2007, 04:35 PM
CompUSA has been going downhill for years now, now they will finally just be over with.

So what retail stores are left? Circuit City and Best Buy?

I dont think Circuit City carries Mac's in all of their stores. Best Buy, Fry's, MircoCenter, Music Stores (Sam Ash, Guitar Center etc).

pjarvi
Dec 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
The merger with Good Guys seemed to be the nail in the coffin. The CompUSA store that was near me was larger than most Best Buy stores, but after the merger they closed that store and took over the Good Guys location. The Good Guys store was about 1/10th the size of their previous store, and it was miserable just trying to look at what was on a shelf since everything was so cramped. They not only killed themselves, but Good Guys in the process.

mac-er
Dec 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/07/technology/compusa.ap/index.htm?postversion=2007120719

See ya, CompUSSR. It just took them way to long to get it, if they ever got it. They used to have the most horrendous return policy in retail, and treated you like a criminal if you returned anything. They improved a bit, but it was too little, too late.

And, I know of a handful of cases where people had picked out and were going to buy a computer but walked out because the sales people badgered them about an extended warranty. Like harassment style...literally asking like twelve times.

Their stores were crapholes, and they could never decide what to do with them. Everytime I went in there (maybe 4 times a year), the product categories had been moved or a counter was gone or moved.

Doctor Q
Dec 7, 2007, 09:27 PM
I hope the Leopard rebates will still go through as promised.

jaw04005
Dec 7, 2007, 10:32 PM
Great. CompUSA was the only major Apple reseller in my state. Looks like Apple needs to build a new store.

synth3tik
Dec 7, 2007, 10:37 PM
everyone knew it was coming. For a big box store it was really nice.

todd2000
Dec 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
What exactly does this mean for my CompUSA Credit card bill????

MacRumors
Dec 7, 2007, 11:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

CompUSA announced today (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/12/07/compusa/index.php) that it will sell or shut down its remaining stores. Stores remaining open through the holiday season will feature heavy discounts on products to clear inventory.

CompUSA was once one of Apple's largest resellers until Apple began pilot programs with Best Buy (http://www.macrumors.com/2003/07/27/best-buy-selling-apple-products/) and CompUSA began downsizing earlier this year.

The retail chain had received approximately $2 billion in investment since 1999, however it was unable to return to profitability amongst fierce competition.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/08/compusa-to-shut-down/)

JesterJJZ
Dec 7, 2007, 11:28 PM
Meh...I don't have any where I live anyway so no biggie.

daddywags214
Dec 7, 2007, 11:28 PM
any chance they'll be liquidating their Apple inventory?

edit: changed "inventory" to "Apple inventory"

Aeolius
Dec 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
What a week.

The other day I read about a new Apple Store opening "early next year" in Greensboro, North Carolina. Now I see this rumor about the remaining CompUSA stores closing is true.

The Greensboro CompUSA store has maintained its "cozy corner" for Mac users for some time. The resident Apple Solutions Consultant is courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. It seems unclear, whether he would be transitioning from CompUSA to the Apple Store, but I hope that to be the case. He has maintained an active presence in local Apple user groups and has proven his knowledge of and passion for Apple products on numerous occasions. It would be unfortunate, for the local Macintosh community to lose such an invaluable local resource.

ravenvii
Dec 7, 2007, 11:32 PM
any chance they'll be liquidating their Apple inventory?

edit: changed "inventory" to "Apple inventory"

Yeah, wondering what kinds of discounts we'll be seeing here...

Mydel
Dec 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
Yeah Big Fat Sale??:rolleyes:

kkat69
Dec 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
I knew this would happen when they completely pulled out of Atlanta a while back.

How people can patron BB over them sometimes is beyond me however, with Fry's, Microcenter, BB, and not to mention even office supply stores selling the same things, someone has to end up on the loosing end.

It's unfortunate as I haven't had any issues shopping at CompUsa since they were (at the time) the only place I can get certain PC mod items.

Not to mention it was always nice going in there playing with the Macs. They always had a big selection at the Northpoint store in Alpharetta. BB hasn't got SQUAT for Macs and I do NOT trust anyone that looks like they belong in the "Revenge of the Nerds" movie to work on any piece of electronics I own.

Oh well, wish all the employee's best of luck and my prayers with them.

KiraDouji
Dec 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
The Greensboro CompUSA store has maintained its "cozy corner" for Mac users for some time. The resident Apple Solutions Consultant is courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. It seems unclear, whether he would be transitioning from CompUSA to the Apple Store, but I hope that to be the case. He has maintained an active presence in local Apple user groups and has proven his knowledge of and passion for Apple products on numerous occasions. It would be unfortunate, for the local Macintosh community to lose such an invaluable local resource.

I'm sure he'll be happy to read this. ^_^ As far as I know, though, if there's any way to stay, he will be. Greensboro's been good to him and he likes the area. Given his track record with Apple, they might be more enticed to keep him around.

I certainly hope so at least, because it looks like Apple's my best bet for a new job :o

- Kira

As I said in the other thread, what exactly does this mean for my CompUSA Credit card balance??

CompUSA credit card is handled by HSBC, so nothing's going to change other than you not being able to add anything to it once all the stores who will take it have vanished.

- Kira

applefan69
Dec 7, 2007, 11:37 PM
IMO this is kinda sad. I mean it shows the company was loyal to apple by being one of their biggest retailers. Just a couple years ago apple struggled to get stores to sell Macs. (one of the main reasons apple fell so behind in market shares)

Now, apple is finally getting other stores to support them, and as a result this store is struggling and does apple care? Obviously not.

Im sure im looking at this in the wrong angle but IMO this story is sorta sad.

daddywags214
Dec 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
As I said in the other thread, what exactly does this mean for my CompUSA Credit card balance??

Hopefully the investment firm will be handling them professionally and prompty.

EDIT: Kira had a better answer than me. Thanks, Kira.

Bill Gates
Dec 7, 2007, 11:38 PM
I think we all knew this was coming, especially after the recent closure of half of the retail stores.

LimeiBook86
Dec 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
I had a feeling this was coming eventually. I guess I won't be looking into a job there anymore. :p :D

todd2000
Dec 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
CompUSA credit card is handled by HSBC, so nothing's going to change other than you not being able to add anything to it once all the stores who will take it have vanished.

- Kira

Yeah I kinda figured, but a guy can dream can't he :)

bretm
Dec 7, 2007, 11:44 PM
I knew this would happen when they completely pulled out of Atlanta a while back.

How people can patron BB over them sometimes is beyond me however, with Fry's, Microcenter, BB, and not to mention even office supply stores selling the same things, someone has to end up on the loosing end.

It's unfortunate as I haven't had any issues shopping at CompUsa since they were (at the time) the only place I can get certain PC mod items.

Not to mention it was always nice going in there playing with the Macs. They always had a big selection at the Northpoint store in Alpharetta. BB hasn't got SQUAT for Macs and I do NOT trust anyone that looks like they belong in the "Revenge of the Nerds" movie to work on any piece of electronics I own.

The Apple Store at Northpoint has a pretty decent selection of macs. Maybe you should try playing with Macs there.

The CompUSA in Gwinnett was horrible, dirty, misinformed and outdated. The would sell older mac models refurbished for like $100 less than a brand new NOT refurbished model.

MicroCenter is the PC store with a Mac store in it. And not just an aisle or two. You actually enter through a doorway where there are pretty much just macs and mac peripherals and people that know what they're talking about.

But since we have at least 4 Apple stores in Atl, what's the point?

salvatorereda
Dec 7, 2007, 11:44 PM
so much for my 3 year warranty
I had 1.5 years left on my projector!!
I dont think i would ever by a warranty again from one of these kind of stores.
I also lost the warranty on my good guys stereo!

errrrrrrr

Teddy's
Dec 7, 2007, 11:45 PM

Yeah. You can sleep quietly tonight.

Let the workers who will lose their jobs worry. I guess these holidays will not be happy for many people across the U.S.

------

Rot'nApple
Dec 7, 2007, 11:46 PM

RIP CompUSA... :(

My only hangup is that CompUSA is closer then the Apple store in my area, is in a strip mall as opposed to a closed in Mega Mall with major anchor stores encompassing the numerour botique shops with all those people:eek: and it has free parking to boot!:rolleyes:

gerrycurl
Dec 7, 2007, 11:47 PM
there was a compusa in brighton, ma, i hated the service, there would be four to five compusa emps sitting around chatting doing nothing while i wanted to buy a macbook pro, i just glared at them for about five minutes and finally decided that it was time to scream at them, one of them reluctantly came over to me while rolling his eyes and said, "what do you need?" so i told him that i want a macbook pro, but that i would be going to bestbuy to get it. owned bitches.

ortuno2k
Dec 7, 2007, 11:48 PM
I used to work for CompUSA about 2 years ago... poor folks.
Never shopped there after I left.

The Monkey
Dec 7, 2007, 11:48 PM
The one on Fifth Ave. in Manhattan had lousy service, lousy selection, and lousy prices. Good riddance.

But I do feel bad for the employees. I hate to see people lose their jobs. Apparently, they will at least keep them through the holidays.

mangoarts
Dec 7, 2007, 11:49 PM
CompUSA had the worst customer service (worse then fry's) I ever encountered. They earned this failure. They treated Apple fans like outcasts and could never answer a Mac question.

When I walk into an Apple store I feel as if I will get some help. Sometimes even intelligent.

Ding Dong, the witch is dead.

DMann
Dec 7, 2007, 11:55 PM
I think we all knew this was coming, especially after the recent closure of half of the retail stores.

With Gateway pulling the plug on its retail stores in 2004, everyone laughed at Apple while they started to increase their own. With Comp USA shutting down, one imagines that this reflects badly on the computer retail industry and its ability to turn a profit - yet Apple has been pulling in, on an average, 12 - 15 million per store per year. Although this seems to defy business model trends, Apple continues to prove that quality, style, and innovation can succeed despite internet sales competition which is perpetuated by lack of overhead. Apple has a different take on the function of a retail store - a showcase for their stellar products--and you can even take one home with you, today! On top of that, their customer service is incomparable.

KiraDouji
Dec 7, 2007, 11:56 PM
Opinions on retail stores vary greatly from place to place. I mention this because I'm seeing mainly two types of posts here; "good riddance" and "oh, that's sad". Well, frankly, the type of service you get from any big chain it going to depend on the managers. The CompUSA in Greensboro, NC, for example, has a lot of good people in it because the management doesn't put up with ******** like five employees standing around doing nothing. Likewise, there are ones in which people have had bad service. I could give a reverse example with Best Buy; the one in Newington, NH has excellent customer service and is a clean, easy place to shop, but the one in Greensboro makes me hate people. Literally.

Please keep that in perspective when you go on about "good riddance" and "reaping what you sow". Personally, I sowed customer service and approachability that brought people back to the store; I certainly didn't sow losing my job directly after the holidays.

That being said, I wonder where I will be able to get that one computer component I need the next time someone's pc crashes and they have to get it working omg THAT DAY, considering CC and BB don't sell parts. :rolleyes:

- Kira

Prelude2Tragedy
Dec 7, 2007, 11:57 PM
The warranties you may have are still good you just deal directly with the insurance company compusa goes through.

chr1s60
Dec 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
The Comp USA by me shut down about a year ago so this doesn't bother me. They had an ok Apple section, but the sales staff was never very helpful with anything. They also had crappy sales on Apple stuff when they were closing. Most things in the store had a great discount, but the Apple stuff only went down to about 5-10% off and never went any lower except for one or two software things that dropped to 15% off. I think Apple will do much better with Best Buy since they are a better store than Comp USA ever was.

DMann
Dec 8, 2007, 12:01 AM
That being said, I wonder where I will be able to get that one computer component I need the next time someone's pc crashes and they have to get it working omg THAT DAY, considering CC and BB don't sell parts. :rolleyes:

Great point. Perhaps this will be a good opportunity to start-up a new brand of hardware store - CompParts USA.

corywoolf
Dec 8, 2007, 12:02 AM
"Mark my words: Apple is done with CompUSA and will soon pull out entirely. Best Buy is the new home of the Apple Shop." (08-07-2007) (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4009867&postcount=31)

After working at their flagship store on Fifth Ave in NYC, I knew this was where things were heading. I am glad that Steve Louro (General Manager of Fifth Ave store) is out of a job. A lot of sleezy low llife salespeople I worked with, all the good people I worked with left shortly after me. I hope the Apple Rep. gets a good Best Buy store. Interesting, because Apple knew this was going to happen since about over a year ago. I remember one of the Apple reps from my store not being able to tell my why he was leaving. Then he told me the next week that Apple was doing a trial of having mini Apple shops in a couple Best Buys. Sucks for the few good folks still working at CompUSA, but I am just glad that the sleeze-balls are out of work.

KiraDouji
Dec 8, 2007, 12:06 AM
Sucks for the few good folks still working at CompUSA, but I am just glad that the sleeze-balls are out of work.

Sleeze-balls never die, they just sell different stuff. :p

- Kira

chr1s60
Dec 8, 2007, 12:10 AM

I had a very different experience with Comp USA in my area. Their selection of video games and dvds was not even comparable to BB. The sales Comp USA had were also crappy compared to BB and BB always had more in stock. For me it just came down to BB having a better selection and better prices. If I wanted something Apple, it seemed more worth my time to drive the 30 minutes to the Apple store closest.

Darkroom
Dec 8, 2007, 12:10 AM
there was a compusa in brighton, ma, i hated the service, there would be four to five compusa emps sitting around chatting doing nothing while i wanted to buy a macbook pro, i just glared at them for about five minutes and finally decided that it was time to scream at them, one of them reluctantly came over to me while rolling his eyes and said, "what do you need?" so i told him that i want a macbook pro, but that i would be going to bestbuy to get it. owned bitches.

that sounds exactly like Futureshop here in Canada (which is now owned by Best Buy).... i hope Futureshop closes down, or decides to start hiring people other than high school kids who hang out in the car stereo sections talk like pimps to dumb girlfriends...

iToaster
Dec 8, 2007, 12:19 AM
I can't believe this. I honestly can't believe that CompUSA would just die like that. I need them! They are the only good Apple retailer within 80 miles of my house. I go in there every so often and just chat with the Apple guy... but now... they're going away! :(... this is a sad bit of information. But that silver lining: dirt cheap things I want!

deathshrub
Dec 8, 2007, 12:21 AM
IMO this is kinda sad. I mean it shows the company was loyal to apple by being one of their biggest retailers. Just a couple years ago apple struggled to get stores to sell Macs. (one of the main reasons apple fell so behind in market shares)

Now, apple is finally getting other stores to support them, and as a result this store is struggling and does apple care? Obviously not.

I can see where you're coming from, but apparently the guy who started CompUSA said that it was the biggest mistake of his life because it was costing him so much money. I do agree though it is a bit surreal.

corywoolf
Dec 8, 2007, 12:21 AM
Sleeze-balls never die, they just sell different stuff. :p

- Kira

I know, but for just a little while I can get a little satisfaction knowing some are out of work. If only you saw all the bullying they do to the honest salesmen, my supervisor literally told me to lie to the customer as long as I can make the sale. I once told a guy that the $350 AppleCare he was buying would work in Morocco (where he was from). I have mixed feelings though. I was planning on stopping in when I go back out east to visit my dad. I was going to say hi to the couple decent guys still working there, but now it would be just strange... :(

rkusa
Dec 8, 2007, 12:30 AM
Years ago, not long after Steve Jobs had come back to Apple, and they had started the store-within-a-store program with CompUSA, I had a need to go to one of the stores for an emergency scanner purchase. The first CompUSA I went into here in Phoenix had a shabby Apple section, and the store employees were surly and ignorant about Macs. More than half the Macs weren't operable and had missing parts. Some were stuck in a crashed state. I just left in disgust.

I went to another one in Scottsdale, where the Apple section was clean and in great shape, and the employees there were enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Macs--and all the Macs worked. I bought the scanner there.

I wrote a letter to Mitch Mandich, who was head of Apple retail at the time (or some such position) describing my experience. A week or two later, I got a phone call from Mitch Mandich, and we had a good conversation about the state of the Mac in retail, and we talked about the horrible presentation of their products in the CompUSA. He swore to me that Apple would be making big strides in that department and they'd reverse the trend of being ghetto-ized (my description, not his). True to his words, they did. I have to think they already had the Apple Store plans on the drawing boards. My experience was not uncommon according to him.

I was so impressed that they cared enough that an executive called to apologize for the experience and to assure me things would change. It's been a steady climb back to respectability since.

faroukabad
Dec 8, 2007, 12:31 AM
The Comp USA near me was horrible, after a couple of trips there, I vowed to stay away. I can't say I'm surprised that they're going down. Seems like there were a few good stores, though, but none that I ever went into.

blipper
Dec 8, 2007, 12:43 AM
I saw my first PowerMac in a CompUSA store when I was first getting interested in Macs. Eight months later I had one of the first MacPros. Overall, I think I first went to one in 1994, eons ago in computer time, back when I was using OS/2 on a Gateway.

Otherwise the CUSA store near me was just good as a place to stroll around and figure out what was available; as of now, neither the Apple store or the Best Buy near me have near the same level of merchandise.

Let's hope the clearance sale is a good one!

JesterJJZ
Dec 8, 2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah. You can sleep quietly tonight.

Let the workers who will lose their jobs worry. I guess these holidays will not be happy for many people across the U.S.

------

Another store will take its place and they can find other jobs, possibly better ones. Carlos Slim should just give them all good severance pay.

zama36
Dec 8, 2007, 12:56 AM
:eek: When CompUSA went belly up in the Seattle area, I watched the prices on Apple Displays in three different stores during their fire sales. CompUSA set the discounts in January four months prior to Apple's latest round of price cuts. When speaking to the managers regarding the prices, they wouldn't budge. CompUSA, even in flames, failed to meet market prices. :eek:

Brandonnn
Dec 8, 2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah, wondering what kinds of discounts we'll be seeing here...

It seems theyre going to keep open till holidays and they state:

" Computer and electronics retailer CompUSA announced on Friday that it would start winding down its retail operations after being acquired by an investment firm, which is looking to sell the company's business and assets.

The retail stores that don't sell will be shut down, CompUSA said in a statement. The 103 stores will remain open during the holiday shopping season and provide heavy discounts on products. "

here's the link http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/140419/compusa_closing_up_shop.html

*Looks like a good time to buy there..might get great prices.

sinisterdesign
Dec 8, 2007, 01:15 AM
The Apple Store at Northpoint has a pretty decent selection of macs. Maybe you should try playing with Macs there.

The CompUSA in Gwinnett was horrible, dirty, misinformed and outdated. The would sell older mac models refurbished for like $100 less than a brand new NOT refurbished model.
But since we have at least 4 Apple stores in Atl, what's the point?

i would go miles out of the way not to go to the Cumberland CompUSA. i always called them "inCompitentUSA". any time i was forced into going there for something simple like a cable, it would inevitably take 30 min to get out of there b/c either the sales staff didn't know where something was, what it cost, how to ring it up, etc, etc.

can't say i'm going to shed a tear for CompUSA...

SkyBell
Dec 8, 2007, 01:22 AM
We have one or two near me, and they have decent service, could be better, could be worse.

They didn't have anything special to offer, but it's always sad to see someone go out of business.:(

praetorian909
Dec 8, 2007, 01:24 AM
'Tis a shame it's closing, I'm a bit of a computer junky so any less stores is kinda sad. Just like when CompUSA bought the local Computer City (operated by Tandy, remember them?)

Though customer service at my local CompUSA was never good. I remember once looking for a m-audio external sound card, but couldn't find it in the store. I asked and the guy looked it up on the computer, said they have it in stock according to the inventory. He said "so it must be somewhere in here." Then after a long pause, I came to the realization that it was all he was going to do for me. Might as well been a "self-serve" store...

I've also found employees at other stores--Best Buy, Circuit City--not helpful either, with a CC employee even giving me bad info (for installing a car stereo, told me I had to put the stereo in the trunk which would add an extra $75). Well I knew that was wrong and I ended up doing it myself without having to install to the trunk.

So I don't think CompUSA's employees are any worse than these other stores (Apple Retail store not included of course :))

minik
Dec 8, 2007, 01:29 AM
The local CompUSA store folded months ago. I'm glad! It's getting worse and worse.

BackInTheSaddle
Dec 8, 2007, 01:45 AM
Years ago (say the early 90s) CompUSA was the place to go to find whatever you needed. Things began declining at my local store though and the Mac section was never well tended, and they started hiring some really discourteous and uninformed losers for their floor staff in general. I haven't shopped there in a good eight or nine years.

I've been pretty happy with Micro Center though... dedicated section with a decent selection of Mac hardware, third-party products. Staff is hit-or-miss but it's nice to be able to walk in most of the time and find what you need without a big hassle.

Stridder44
Dec 8, 2007, 01:51 AM

I'm pretty sure he just went back to his buddies and they all laughed about what you said. Store associates could give a rip less, they don't see a penny of that sale (or get paid enough to care).

As for CompUSA, I think I bough my first burnable CD from them once a looong time ago. Come to think of it I think that's the last time I ever saw a CompUSA.

flir67
Dec 8, 2007, 02:04 AM
[QUOTE=KiraDouji;4592093]I'm sure he'll be happy to read this. ^_^ As far as I know, though, if there's any way to stay, he will be. Greensboro's been good to him and he likes the area. Given his track record with Apple, they might be more enticed to keep him around.

I certainly hope so at least, because it looks like Apple's my best bet for a new job :o

- Kira

hay if anyone wanted to do a good deed and try to save the guys job. on craigslist for greensboro,nc is where apple is marketing for the positions.

happen to stumble across yesterday.

good luck

z-man
Dec 8, 2007, 02:05 AM
I was never super impressed with their :apple:Mac dept, but at least they had one when nobody else did. It was the only place to see Macs where I lived at the time.

I remember going to see the very first iPod model at a CompUSA. :)

wongulous
Dec 8, 2007, 02:16 AM
When companies go out of business, especially those with this level of debt, "liquidations" aren't just about clearing out the stores so they can get re-leased. It's about maximizing profit on items that just weren't moving. Expect weeks of 10-20%, and most things will get grabbed up that are large-ticket, then inching up to 25%, 30, then clearing out things more by the time it gets to 40, and by the time it gets to 50, most anything you want will be gone. It'll be odds-n-ends with no organization after 50, and there won't be much past 80% but weird stuff like old tiny HDs, crappy webcams, games nobody wants, empty jewelcases, surge protectors, and floppy drives. Trust me, they're managed by external companies that know exactly how to eke every penny out of a consumer possible to fill the coffers for that Chapter 11 or dissolution of a corporation... few deals will be had, because some consumers are so dumb that they get paranoid and marketed and can't wait a few weeks to save that $80 off of a laptop.

NiteWaves77
Dec 8, 2007, 02:40 AM
Good riddance to a god-awful retail outlet. I can't wait to rape them out of some goods, cheap, as I did when the CompUSA across the street from our Apple store closed their doors.

Take all those salesdweebs, that wouldn't know a Centronics parallel port from a glory hole, and put them to work picking lettuce. Solves the illegal immigrant issue. Speaking of which, I love how the parent company's in Mexico, quoting their losses in pesos. :p

p0intblank
Dec 8, 2007, 02:56 AM
Good. I never really liked CompUSA much... especially ever since they screwed me over with the crap RAM they installed in my PowerBook for me. Although I did get my first Mac from there, it's kind of sad to see them go. But in the end, who really cares?

i make movies
Dec 8, 2007, 03:16 AM
Welcome to consumerism 101. The CompUSA in my home town was close to the crappy mall that is also dying. You know the mall...every city has one...the one that you went to in the early 90s because it was the only good mall around, but 14 shopping centers opened up, all clean and new, and the one that used to be king of the crop is now last decade's harvest. The same thing happened to Media Play/Suncoast/ Sam Goody a while ago. It sucked going into those stores because you knew it was dying. Those old shopping centers are our generation's ghost towns. Big empty boxes littering our cities. I predict as oil gets more expensive, more of these big box stores will shut down. You can't cut costs or reduce overhead when oil is 100 bucks a barrel. You can expect oil costs to double in 5 years.

But what do you expect when the majority of your revenue has no margin whatsoever? Again, the same thing happened to Media Play. There's no margin on cds and dvds...that's why there prices sucked. That's also why Best Buy can afford to sell cds and dvds below cost because they have many other products that have amazing margin, like HDTVs and car stereos.

freediverdude
Dec 8, 2007, 04:22 AM
Well it's sad in a way I guess......CompUSA is where I first saw the lampshade iMac way back when. I remember thinking wow, I wish I could afford that. It looked so much nicer and more futuristic than the other computers. So we ooohed and aaahed over it for a while, thinking maybe some day....... But yeah the last time I was in one, maybe last year, it looked really out of date. Everything did. Gadgets under glass counters old fashion style, wayyyy outdated check-out computers that took forever to get out of there, not enough space to really display things like big screen tvs or lots of choices of computers. It was like a trip back to the 80s. So I guess they decided not to try to re-do everything and just call it quits. Sad.

Analog Kid
Dec 8, 2007, 05:04 AM
Not going to miss these guys at all... It's not that the competition was fierce, its that CompUSA doesn't understand how to do business-- at least not the ones that I've been in.

There are only two reasons to go to a brick and mortar store anymore-- to ask questions, and to get your hands on stuff faster than it can ship. The places I've been in seem to hire they guys that got fired for spilling the oil at Jiffy Lube, and they never seem to carry the stuff I'm looking for at the moment.

Cheffy Dave
Dec 8, 2007, 05:28 AM

oh, I dunno,:cool: they will just chalk it up to a bad debt, since they are no longer in business, and just write you off,you owe nothing:D. Yeah right!

The Bankrupcy judge/Court will sieze all accounts:eek: and you will be billed. What you owe is called an "asset", just as much as alll remaining stock is:eek:
Watch your intrest rate skyrocket:eek:as they "maximise" remaining profits.
Called "bidness" in the game:(

Wild-Bill
Dec 8, 2007, 05:34 AM
Good riddence to CompUSA I say.

How many times were they in trouble for rebate fraud??? They're going out of business because their prices always suck, among other things.

thesdx
Dec 8, 2007, 05:58 AM
I really didn't see this coming. :eek: The one near me is always buzzing, especially the Mac section.

macpro2000
Dec 8, 2007, 06:02 AM
good riddance....

I second that. IncompetenceUSA is more like it.

pcdoctor
Dec 8, 2007, 06:31 AM
CompUSA wasn't it SoftwareHouse then CompUSA, then bought ComputerCity (owned by Tandy). I remember buying my Performa 6100 System from ComputerCity before they were bought out (those were the days...)

They have recently gone down hill and closed all their Chicagoland stores anyways. They're already gone here, everyone's a BestBuy, and most Apple customers are at the Apple Store, popping up all over here now...

Yep, I used to work for SoftwareHouse. I remember when they bought out ComputerCity.

danidoll521
Dec 8, 2007, 06:48 AM
I know we can expect some good discounts, especially as the final closing date nears, but will CompUSA discount Apple products? What kind of discounts can we realistically expect?

KiraDouji
Dec 8, 2007, 07:01 AM
If only you saw all the bullying they do to the honest salesmen, my supervisor literally told me to lie to the customer as long as I can make the sale. I once told a guy that the $350 AppleCare he was buying would work in Morocco (where he was from).

Well, considering I work there... :rolleyes: I don't know, though, apparently I've had a much different experience than anyone else in this thread. My managers were always very strict about making sure we had the right information and giving it out correctly and always bugged us if we weren't helping someone. To be honest, it was a bit exhausting considering the large number of people in my area who'd just come in and have no frellin' clue what they were looking for.

"It's that cord that goes in the back of the PC"... :|

On the up side, maybe I can get hired by the Apple Store moving into town :cool:

Still, anyway you look at it, that's at least 2000 retail emps out of a job come Jan/Feb/however long they have.

- Kira

rdowns
Dec 8, 2007, 07:03 AM
I know we can expect some good discounts, especially as the final closing date nears, but will CompUSA discount Apple products? What kind of discounts can we realistically expect?

As with any going out of business sale, all the good stuff is snapped up during the first 2 weeks when the discounts are only 5-10%.

The discounts go up as the quality of remaining merchandise drops.

Aeolius
Dec 8, 2007, 07:41 AM
On opportunity Apple will be missing, with the closure of the CompUSA stores, will be the influx of curious switchers who wander into the Apple corner of the store.

I enjoyed helping answer people's questions, regarding Apple hardware and software, when Mike wasn't around. It's fun to channel one's passion for Apple products, while rising to the challenge presented by skeptical potential Mac users.

I've helped parents shopping with their kids for their college laptop and I've helped older folks seeking to replace their aging Macs with something new. How many Windows users would happily spend their lunch breaks in such a fashion, I wonder?

I assume the Greensboro Apple store will be in the NW corner of "The Shops at Friendly" ( http://www.friendlycenter.com/theshops/TEXT/map.html ). There is newly finished store, there, while two others are still open structures of girders and bricks. The nearby stores are a Harris Teeter and an REI.

Perhaps Apple will get some curious switchers walking over from nearby stores, or driving by after catching a movie at the nearby theater. Good luck, Apple. :)

Roller
Dec 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
I'll miss CompUSA for their large selection of cables and other accessories. Of course, there's nothing that you can't buy online these days, but CompUSA was always handy if you needed something that day.

I never bought a Mac from CompUSA, and the Apple section at our local store was typically understaffed. But, until we got our Apple store, there was nowhere else to go to get some hands-on with the latest Apple hardware.

alec
Dec 8, 2007, 07:56 AM
Good riddance.

Diversion
Dec 8, 2007, 07:58 AM
Here in my city, CompUSA usually undercut the competition by $10 or so.. Usually saved me tax on the same items. I heard about CompUSA shutting down about a year ago, I thought it was some kind of silly rumour.. Guess they were shutting down in other areas first. Oh well, I can't wait to get a stab at their close out prices.

jagolden
Dec 8, 2007, 08:08 AM

I frequent them for inks and paper.
They're the only place you can walk in to and purchase
quality photo and specialty papers in 13" x 19" sizes.

Always great deals on HD storage and bank cd/dvd media.

Stang68
Dec 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
good...that store sucked.

MrMoore
Dec 8, 2007, 08:29 AM
CompUSA closed in the Chicagoland area earlier this year, so I guess it was no surprise. I went there time to time and their Mac sections weren't bad and I like looking for an item on their website and seeing if it was available in-store. Always a trip saver. After the stores closed here, it will tell me the nearest store was in Rockford. Only 66 miles ;)

I go to the Apple store now to get Mac specific. If I need a keyboard or other non-Mac stuff, there is still MicroCenter or that massive behemoth Frye. And if I am desperate, Best Buy :eek:

AudiA4
Dec 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
In spite of everyone else's comments, I've always like CompUSA...they've always been a friend to Apple and the "Mac" store within was always buzzing. So, I'm sad to see the store close, but the silver lining is that a new Apple Store is coming to Little Rock!

MacAddict1978
Dec 8, 2007, 08:41 AM

Mac sales is a very small percentage of compusa's total sales. Apple has nothing to do with this.

CompuUSA never had a great customer focus nor customer friendly policies (return, warranty, etc.)

I always liked their selection though, and they did often have good deals on blank media and often printers and such. Their selection has shrunk quite a bit.

Here in Pittsburgh we had 2. One closed this past Spring with the other staying open. Both were recently remodeled and looked pretty good.

diamond.g
Dec 8, 2007, 08:43 AM

- Kira

I am unexcited about losing a place I can go to to buy a new motherboard or processor or high end video card same day. This is depressing. I wonder if the Hawaii store is going to close. They seemed to be doing pretty well when I lived there.

davebarnes
Dec 8, 2007, 08:53 AM
Greensboro CompUSA store ... resident Apple Solutions Consultant is courteous, knowledgeable, and professional. It seems unclear, whether he would be transitioning from CompUSA to the Apple Store

BestBuy is his most likely landing place. Apple is getting in bed with BestBuy in a big time manner. My local Apple rep literally walked across the parking lot. Saturday at CompUSA and Sunday at BestBuy.

I hate WorstBuy, but they are doing a much better job for Apple. The Apple display is better (similar in design to the Apple Store) and much more prominently located (it was in a dingy corner at CompUSA).

wattage
Dec 8, 2007, 08:53 AM
Great. CompUSA was the only major Apple reseller in my state. Looks like Apple needs to build a new store.
In Little Rock, Arkansas myself and thought the same thing. I don't trust the Mac people at Best Buy as it is a new venture for them.

We NEED an Apple store, maybe over by the Lewis and Clark or Pottery Barn.

uzi
Dec 8, 2007, 08:54 AM
CompUSA left our town about a year ago. They failed becuase their service was very poor...

thestaton
Dec 8, 2007, 09:10 AM
CompUSA had the worst customer service (worse then fry's) I ever encountered. They earned this failure. They treated Apple fans like outcasts and could never answer a Mac question.

When I walk into an Apple store I feel as if I will get some help. Sometimes even intelligent.

Ding Dong, the witch is dead.

My thoughts exactly!

slinky0390
Dec 8, 2007, 09:13 AM
the compUSA near my house shut down about 8 months ago.. i never really bought big stuff there, besides my printer, and router.. but i always turned to them for writable media. i make movies, many of which are distributed throughout my school and they always had the printable dvds that went on sale almost every week, which i cannot find anywhere else.. kinda sucks but it goes to show how our economy works, big convenience with little prices equals success. all the large retailers beat out compUSA big time. kinda like Jamesway, a thing of the past.

egsaxy
Dec 8, 2007, 09:14 AM
this happened in chicago this past summer. it was only a matter of time. the store within a store will not be forgotten.

Beefeater
Dec 8, 2007, 09:24 AM
Good, they were worthless anyway...

AJ Muni
Dec 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
they had horrible service, horrible rebate program... newegg ftw

dgb2n
Dec 8, 2007, 09:43 AM

Most likely nothing. Compusa uses Fifth Third Bank as their processor. They'll continue to bill you under your current terms of service for any promotional deals and but if you default, all bets are probably off. Good opportunity to rid yourself of a credit card.

jsado13
Dec 8, 2007, 09:44 AM
can't say that I'm surprised. My local comp usa was awful. You could walk around for 15 minutes trying to get someone to help you. Then after finally finding someone, they'd act as if you just caused a major problem in their day. I'm glad comp usa is closing.

twoodcc
Dec 8, 2007, 09:48 AM
well i'm sad to hear this, but all the stores around me already closed down. at least i still have a fry's near me though :cool:

Morky
Dec 8, 2007, 09:50 AM
I can't believe this. I honestly can't believe that CompUSA would just die like that. I need them! They are the only good Apple retailer within 80 miles of my house. I go in there every so often and just chat with the Apple guy... but now... they're going away! :(... this is a sad bit of information. But that silver lining: dirt cheap things I want!

Someone should open an nice little Apple wholesale and service store in your area. They'd have a temporary monopoly. This would go for a lot of smaller markets that won't have an Apple store anytime soon.

dwl017
Dec 8, 2007, 09:52 AM

Credit card debt never goes away even in death, your balance will be transfered to a new company which will do everything in there power to collect the balance.

My local Comp USA was recently replaced by a Micro Center, the new Micro Center store is mind blowing!!! the Apple section in the new Micro Center is larger then my local Apple store and better stocked!

You could littera;y spend hours in Micro Center and not be bored at all, I spend an hour in the Apple section alone.

Bravo! Micro Center well done!!!

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layout=articlePrint&articleID=CA6434659

PS. My local Micro Center is in Rockville, Maryland same store where the piece of trash Comp USA was, the gutted the store and remolded it into a state of the art high tech center!

dwl017
Dec 8, 2007, 10:04 AM
Here are photos of the store.

http://www.ctbarker.info/2007/10/new-micro-center-opens-in-rockville-md.html

Teh Don Ditty
Dec 8, 2007, 10:21 AM
CompUSA was good during the 90s, but since nothing was done to bring it into the new millennium it died. Not at all surprised by this. They probably should've done this sooner.

Peace out CompUSA

corywoolf
Dec 8, 2007, 10:35 AM
Well, considering I work there... :rolleyes: I don't know, though, apparently I've had a much different experience than anyone else in this thread. My managers were always very strict about making sure we had the right information and giving it out correctly and always bugged us if we weren't helping someone. To be honest, it was a bit exhausting considering the large number of people in my area who'd just come in and have no frellin' clue what they were looking for.

"It's that cord that goes in the back of the PC"... :|

On the up side, maybe I can get hired by the Apple Store moving into town :cool:

Still, anyway you look at it, that's at least 2000 retail emps out of a job come Jan/Feb/however long they have.

- Kira
You work at the Fifth Ave. store in NYC? You must have started there sometime in the last year then. Steve Louro was a piece of **** general manager. When we got our first shipment of PS3s, guess where they stayed ? Under his desk. He sold them all to his friends. Most of the time he would just sit on the leather couch in front of the 60" DLP TV and watch movies. And a lot of those people from Dallas were clueless, they would come in and think everything was fine and dandy. I remember my Louro resistantly putting on his red CompUSA shirt (that he was always supposed to be wearing) the few days when he would get visits from Carlos or the Dallas guys. CompUSA just didn't understand the market and wasn't willing to make necessary changes. The management really needed to improve.

daddywags214
Dec 8, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hopefully Best Buy will be getting better with Apple stuff. I worked there for two years, and I got in trouble for recommending Macs to people (because they could only buy them from Best Buy online, which meant the revenue didn't come directly to our store). The managers I had were concerned about their own numbers, not always the customer's best solution.

After two years bouncing from home theater to cameras to computers, I'm glad I don't work there. But I still shop there occasionally, seeing as how I can translate their BS into what I need to know, and I can usually haggle a deal since I know their costs.

SBG88
Dec 8, 2007, 11:12 AM
good riddance....

I agree. You can't return anything there without paying a 15% restock fee.

Consultant
Dec 8, 2007, 11:13 AM
Well I love to shop at CompUSA when there was one near by, because their frequent sales, often the lowest price around after rebate...

I guess we now know why they have the lowest price around. Oh well, too bad...

evilgEEk
Dec 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
Just like many other areas, CompUSA is the only decent Apple Reseller in my town. We have a place called MacLife, but they jack all their prices up and it feels like a used car lot in there. And I don't particularly care for Best Buy.

I used to pop in to CompUSA frequently to check out all the new Mac products, but I honestly can't remember the last time I actually spent money there.

Time for Apple to step up their retail presence in more than just a handful of states! :)

CHess
Dec 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm sure there are good CompUSAs out there, but the ones closest to me have always had some of the worst service and poorest knowledge of Apple products. They got a little better when Tiger was released. They actually seemed to make an attempt to support Apple sales.

It helped that the Apple employee they had there was cute - I mean that she got a fair amount of attention from the employees and she could convince them to learn about Macs and all. But she never had much to do. Only the occasional sale.

Funny, but when that CompUSA closed earlier this year, Apple moved her to Best Buy and she now complains that she is always SO busy. She's had to put in extra hours, even before the holiday rush began.

At CompUSA, the employees seemed to outnumber the customers on an average day.

Guess it doesn't help that Fry's Electronics opened up about 1/2 mile away.

Oh, also, the IT Service manager at the other CompUSA store (still open, so far) is a sleaze ball. I mean, the older fat guy who would sit in his office in back and make lewd comments about female customers. I was looking into doing some of their outsourced Mac work for them until I met him.

law guy
Dec 8, 2007, 11:31 AM
Too bad. CompUSA was here in western MA selling Macs and Apple software when there was no other in-person source. Even now with an Apple store here, it's still the place to go for selection of all things computer when the few select items at the Apple store don't cover what your looking for. There is no other place around here that has whole aisles just of mice or web cams or all sorts of internal and external drives.

nostaws
Dec 8, 2007, 11:40 AM
I quit shopping at CompUSA when over about 6 months time I had several terrible customer service experiences there.

I would often go in and ask for help or a product, and the employees would tell me completely wrong information. They would sometimes tell me "such a product doesn't exist," then I would go find it on their shelves.

Though I am disappointed when any store closes down, because I like choice and competition in the market place. I don't see CompuUSA as a great loss.

ajhill
Dec 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
Circuit City fired their key employees and hired them back at half the pay rate. With moral like this, plus the fact that their stores have never been that great, they will be the next shop to close its doors.

Look for them not to make it to Christmas '08

For those who don't like Best Buy, don't worry. If enough people dislike them, someone else will come along and fill the need. That's the beauty of Capitalism.

Al

CANEHDN
Dec 8, 2007, 11:44 AM
CompUSA will definitely receive some business from me this holiday season.

JobsRules
Dec 8, 2007, 12:07 PM
If any retail sector has been hit by the rise and rise of online shopping it's stores like CompUSA. 95% of anything I buy that's computer-related I buy online.

In the UK, PC World - a similar store - hasn't closed branches but they have really slimmed down product lines now and seem to have bulked up on stationary and cheap impulse buys.

By coincidence, the rise of online retailing happened alongside a massive credit expansion meaning both online and offline retail could grow at pace. Now that there's a credit tightening, that's only in it's early days, we'll see exactly how far retail has shifted to online. I suspect, when the supply of credit dries up we'll see more trade has 'gone online' than people realise.

gugy
Dec 8, 2007, 12:19 PM
All those retailers will eventually shut. Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.
I think Fry's might survive because the incredible amount of things they sell.

If they want to survive they have to be creative and amazing CS in order to make it.
CompUSA was gone few months ago from where I live.

Too bad, but the internet prices are hard to beat and the convenience too.

WillGonz
Dec 8, 2007, 12:22 PM
Once upon a time I lived in San Jose, California. I never went to Compusa or Best Buy. I only went to Fry's. Then I moved to a little town called Spokane. They only have Compusa and Best Buy. Compusa is 500 feet from my work. I bought many Mac things from there. But, now we only have Best Buy. I hope they bring an Apple Store to my area.

mgauss
Dec 8, 2007, 12:23 PM
Now that they have hundreds of stores, Apple should not use other chains. The Apple counter at Best Buy here in Aventura manages to be empty, with no attendant. The Apple Store at the mall usually has 10 to 100 customers at all times. It cheapens Apple to be in the same roof as discounted cameras that have been abused by customers with stolen batteries and twisted parts and nobody cares.

danny_w
Dec 8, 2007, 12:29 PM
Now that they have hundreds of stores, Apple should not use other chains. The Apple counter at Best Buy here in Aventura manages to be empty, with no attendant. The Apple Store at the mall usually has 10 to 100 customers at all times. It cheapens Apple to be in the same roof as discounted cameras that have been abused by customers with stolen batteries and twisted parts and nobody cares.
At least if I buy an Apple product from Best Buy and it doesn't work for me I can take it back for a full refund. Try doing that at an Apple store and you get hit with a restock fee. I never buy at an Apple store unless I have to, and there is one right close to my work.

CubaTBird
Dec 8, 2007, 12:34 PM
How's RadioShack doing?

carlgo
Dec 8, 2007, 12:37 PM

You will want to go into hiding to elude the collection thugs the executives hired. They have payments to make on their jets, trophy wives and illuminated-glass kitchens.

SolRayz
Dec 8, 2007, 12:37 PM

And that is a good thing?

easymac800g4
Dec 8, 2007, 12:38 PM
i work at the birmingham,al compusa. not sure what ill do yet but i know things are gonna get really interesting

you will pobably still make payments to HSBC, the company tat actually gives the credit. im not sure how the no interest deals will hold up

SthrnCmfrtr
Dec 8, 2007, 12:45 PM
they had horrible service, horrible rebate program... newegg ftw

Yep. I don't think I've bought anything from CompUSA since I found Newegg some years ago. I'll walk in occasionally... and be like "WTF, $16 for an CAT5E cable?" and leave.

shecky
Dec 8, 2007, 12:45 PM
i worked at compusa in the late 90's and even then i was surprised that they were able to stay open. one of my managers told me on day 1 of my job that CUSA was the "wild wild west" of electronics retail; meaning wheeling and dealing, pricedrops and addons to get sales, freebies to get warranty sales, "creative" inventory management, staffing rollercoasters, etc.. were all par for the course there. so while i feel bad for those about to loose their jobs, it should not be a surprise to anyone, especially with the round of closings recently.

when i buy consumer electronics, i will research what i want on the internet, learn about the options of various products, then go into a bigbox store and look at one in person, and then go order it online where i will get it cheaper even with shipping, and not have to deal with saying "no" to an extended warranty 20 times before i can leave. when i am approached by an employee of such a bigbox store, i tell them i am all set. if they insist, i tell them i am going to buy product X online and if they can match it i would buy from them instead. they are never able to, so i get it online. one thing i do not do is waste thier time pretending to buy only to walk out.

i am not the only one who does that, which is why a place with expensive, low margin items like CUSA are hard to keep in business. thats also the reason why their cables and such are INSANELY overpriced.

boss1
Dec 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
How's RadioShack doing?

Radio shack doesn't have much competition to it's core business. I really don't see Radio Shack disappearing any time soon.

I will say however that for a company that sells technology I've never really seen them apply it well throughout their own company. Nothing really brilliant in inventory control, or POS solutions.

What they have in place is something that is very functional yet fails to get the consumer excited about using it.

hexonxonx
Dec 8, 2007, 01:00 PM
Not going to miss these guys at all... It's not that the competition was fierce, its that CompUSA doesn't understand how to do business-- at least not the ones that I've been in.

There are only two reasons to go to a brick and mortar store anymore-- to ask questions, and to get your hands on stuff faster than it can ship. The places I've been in seem to hire they guys that got fired for spilling the oil at Jiffy Lube, and they never seem to carry the stuff I'm looking for at the moment.

But then this describes BestBuy and CircuitCity as well. Last July, I bought my MBP at BestBuy. They had them locked in the display case and didn't have any Macs on display. The guy who got mine out of the locked display had no knowledge about Macs whatsoever and so I just paid for it and left.

CircuitCity is the same way. A few years back I was buying a portable XM satellite radio. I had two others already and so I knew how the subscription worked. This idiot who brought me the radio from the storage asked me if I wanted the extended warranty. I told him no because I never ever buy extended warrantys and never needed one on anything electronic. He told me that even if the radio broke I would still have to pay XM for my subscription. I laughed at him and paid for the radio.

They all hire idiots in some way.

FoxyKaye
Dec 8, 2007, 01:01 PM
How I wish it were Best Buy shutting down instead of CompUSA. I don't shop in either very often (NewEgg, Amazon, MacSales/OWC have been my usual suspects), but when I do I inevitably leave Best Buy in disgust; not because their pricing is all that bad, but their staff, customer service and business practices are one bus stop shy of arriving at Feebletown.

Oh well, I suppose it's the end of an era.

hexonxonx
Dec 8, 2007, 01:08 PM
And that is a good thing?

Of course it is. It kept me out of CompUSA and brought me into BestBuy to buy my MacBook Pro. I would have bought the computer at CompUSA if they had approved me.

iRachel
Dec 8, 2007, 01:14 PM
Not sad to see them go - both of the CompUSAs I've had the displeasure of shopping at had some of the worst costumer service I have ever experienced, in any industry.

Yankees 4 Life
Dec 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'm not shocked, Cusa never did a great job of adapting to the new millenium.

OldSkoolNJ
Dec 8, 2007, 01:49 PM
BestBuy is his most likely landing place. Apple is getting in bed with BestBuy in a big time manner. My local Apple rep literally walked across the parking lot. Saturday at CompUSA and Sunday at BestBuy.

I hate WorstBuy, but they are doing a much better job for Apple. The Apple display is better (similar in design to the Apple Store) and much more prominently located (it was in a dingy corner at CompUSA).

Yes that is where Apple Soltuions Consultants would end up. They would not find a home for them in Apple Retail. They work directly for Corporate in a different channel then retail. A lot of Best Buys a;ready have a direct Apple EMployee working in it full time. SOme of these guys have been doing this job for Apple for close to 7 years in various markets. Best Buy seems to be the place they will all end up. There are a few Apple Shops that went up in best Buys that will not have a rep but most will. You can find a list here http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat137100050004&type=category or a lot of info on the presence in Best Buy here http://www.bestbuy.com/apple

Kevin

happydude
Dec 8, 2007, 02:07 PM
yeah, the good ol' days before the apple stores is long gone. i used to love going to comp usa and bumming around the apple store. some of my friends and i would go in and try to stump the salesperson in the apple area and go one up the pc guys with the greatness of mac. however, haven't set foot in one since the apple stores opened. kind of a nostalgic loss, other than that, oh well. i do in every regard HATE best buy. nothing but a bunch of no-nothing pimply teenagers trying harder to look cool in their blue and yellow than actually serve any customers. now if best buy bit it, i'd be one happy customer. prob not going to happen . . .

dwl017
Dec 8, 2007, 02:14 PM

Your statement is totally absurd! Unless you are very young and don't know any better or maybe you are just plain old stupid! Apple is a business not a religion get over your obsession with Apple products.

Its scary to think that you are so in love with Apple that it upsets you to see there products on the shelf with something else, scary! its a computer for God sake, kids have them in kindergarten now days 5 - 6 year olds but it really shocks me to see adults treat Apple products like a God with little shrines instead of a desk.

Oneness
Dec 8, 2007, 02:36 PM
They shut the CompUSA down in the Waco, Texas area a couple of years ago. It as good for Apple products but the service was poor. They had Best Buy, Circuit City, and my personal favorite Altex Computers & Electronics to compete with. The sad thing is that without CompUSA the Waco area doesn't have any store for Apple computers as our local Best Buy isn't carrying the computers yet. I often wonder if Apple would have a market for a retail store at the new Central Texas Market Place or even our Richland Mall. With three college campuses in the area and a growing economy I have to think it might be possible, though I might be long gone from the area before it happens.

Cheers to CompUSA.

I think you're wishin' upon a star if you think an Apple Store is going to come to Waco anytime soon.

Yes that is where Apple Soltuions Consultants would end up. They would not find a home for them in Apple Retail. They work directly for Corporate in a different channel then retail. A lot of Best Buys a;ready have a direct Apple EMployee working in it full time. SOme of these guys have been doing this job for Apple for close to 7 years in various markets. Best Buy seems to be the place they will all end up. There are a few Apple Shops that went up in best Buys that will not have a rep but most will. You can find a list here http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat137100050004&type=category or a lot of info on the presence in Best Buy here http://www.bestbuy.com/apple

Kevin

Our CompUSA store closed last year then CompUSA downsized here in Texas. The Apple Consultant there left CompUSA and opened his own authorized Apple reseller booth/store in a local camera shop. I don't know how he managed it but he has small sampling of hardware/software and of course he can order anything else. He's a good resource and I still go to him to support his business.

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 03:00 PM
Man those were the good days, CompUSA was the only place you could really go in case of a computer emergency... if you needed a part etc... *sigh* yea they didn't do a great job keeping up to Best Buy I suppose... stupid best buy...

KingYaba
Dec 8, 2007, 03:48 PM
The one retail store I liked to set foot in is closing down for good. Maybe I should drive into Dallas and plead with the CEO. :p

krye
Dec 8, 2007, 03:49 PM
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that their selection sucks and their prices are ridiculous?

AudiA4
Dec 8, 2007, 04:04 PM
In Little Rock, Arkansas myself and thought the same thing. I don't trust the Mac people at Best Buy as it is a new venture for them.

We NEED an Apple store, maybe over by the Lewis and Clark or Pottery Barn.
There IS an Apple store being built in Little Rock at the new Promenade at Chenal. I know it is confirmed because they've applied for a plumbing permit for construction.

I agree though, it would have been much better at Midtown...

hugodrax
Dec 8, 2007, 04:09 PM

Your Mac Pro is free. Congrats.

Durendal
Dec 8, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not shedding any tears over this. ChumpUSA hired a lot of flunkies and a few guys who knew their stuff. Unfortunately, the guys who knew their stuff would be out of there pretty quickly with better jobs, leaving the flunkies. Poor guys. Don't expect great service if you go there for deals. They're just gonna be running out the clock at that point.

chatin
Dec 8, 2007, 04:50 PM
The decrepit shelves were a look into Apple's past. Broken and outdated demo machines. Uninformed salespeople. Apple tried the in-store genius, but the culture was all wrong.

Those red-shirted twerps gave tech a bad name. I wouldn't go in there, for a final goodbye, as a matter of principle.

dannychang
Dec 8, 2007, 05:19 PM
What a week.

The other day I read about a new Apple Store opening "early next year" in Greensboro, North Carolina. Now I see this rumor about the remaining CompUSA stores closing is true.

Clearly... It's not a big deal. Apple stores have many people can easily replace that CompUSA guy.

briansolomon
Dec 8, 2007, 05:20 PM

Apple's success is hardly the reason CompUSA is closing it's stores.

What do you suggest Apple doing to help them out? Put some cash into a dying company?

Brilliant.

MikeTheC
Dec 8, 2007, 05:37 PM
Opinions on retail stores vary greatly from place to place. I mention this because I'm seeing mainly two types of posts here; "good riddance" and "oh, that's sad". Well, frankly, the type of service you get from any big chain it going to depend on the managers... <snip> ... Personally, I sowed customer service and approachability that brought people back to the store; I certainly didn't sow losing my job directly after the holidays.
Ding ding ding! You get the gold star for that one, Kira. You're absolutely right. It's like the old saw about "the head of the fish rots first". I've worked for several big-box retailers over the years, and I can tell you that, all things being equal, management sets the pace for the store.

That being said, I wonder where I will be able to get that one computer component I need the next time someone's pc crashes and they have to get it working omg THAT DAY, considering CC and BB don't sell parts.
Well, I really have so little patience left at this point for computer owners this is one of those things which I could care less about. If someone doesn't back up their data, or have a spare computer from which to continue conducting their business, then as far as I'm concerned, it just sucks to be them. Any compassion I've ever had has long since been burned away (incinerated, actually).

Cinch
Dec 8, 2007, 05:42 PM

Welcome to serfdomhood, Hexonxonx my boy!:eek:

Claytoniss
Dec 8, 2007, 06:11 PM
Cr@p! I just made my parents buy a mini @ a compusa because it was the closest place to buy a mini. And got a year contract instead of applecare, since there was no :apple: store within 250 miles!!! So are they closing down all stores or what?

heisetax
Dec 8, 2007, 06:13 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/07/technology/compusa.ap/index.htm?postversion=2007120719

See ya, CompUSSR. It just took them way to long to get it, if they ever got it. They used to have the most horrendous return policy in retail, and treated you like a criminal if you returned anything. They improved a bit, but it was too little, too late.

And, I know of a handful of cases where people had picked out and were going to buy a computer but walked out because the sales people badgered them about an extended warranty. Like harassment style...literally asking like twelve times.

Their stores were crapholes, and they could never decide what to do with them. Everytime I went in there (maybe 4 times a year), the product categories had been moved or a counter was gone or moved.

That's because the store makes much more on the extended warranty that they make on the computer sale, even if you also purchase a printer & display. That's the sad thing about how prices work at computer stores. Many salespeople loose their jobs because their rate o selling the extended warranty was too low.

Bill the TaxMan

olegandbuster25
Dec 8, 2007, 06:22 PM
i idnt know such a place existed, lol
so i guess i dont really care
i will look for a store though to take advantage of their discounts!

dwl017
Dec 8, 2007, 06:30 PM
i idnt know such a place existed, lol
so i guess i dont really care
i will look for a store though to take advantage of their discounts!

Don't waste your time, when my local CUSA in Rockville, MD shut down back in the summer I stopped by just to take a look and there was nothing but junk!

Micro Center gutted the building and set up shop, the new store is mind blowing with an Apple department larger than my local Apple store and better stocked I spent over an hour in the Apple section last weekend and the customer service is A++++

bloodycape
Dec 8, 2007, 06:31 PM
I dont think Circuit City carries Mac's in all of their stores. Best Buy, Fry's, MircoCenter, Music Stores (Sam Ash, Guitar Center etc).

J and R in NY.

Cooknn
Dec 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'll miss their 20 day no questions asked return policy. Apple displays and laptops are notorious for stuck and dead pixels. CompUSA was always my safeguard against getting stuck with a defective product. I don't think it's so easy when buying from an Apple store.

Kwill
Dec 8, 2007, 07:07 PM
We are fast approaching the time when the only computer stores in existence will be Gateway, Fry's, and the Apple Store. :rolleyes:

(oversimplification)

jayducharme
Dec 8, 2007, 07:21 PM

My one and only experience with CrampUSA was when I bought my first Mac, a PowerMac G4 with mirror drives. It was a gorgeous computer, but the salesman gave me lots of erroneous information. The machine never worked properly. It was crashing all the time. I brought it back to the store (I had the CrampUSA extended warranty) and they couldn't (or wouldn't) fix the machine. I asked if I could trade it up to the new PowerMac G5 -- and they refused! I couldn't even give them more money!

I wrote Apple a long letter documenting my dissatisfaction with the company. Then I went to a locally-owned computer store that sold Macs. They took my G4 as a trade-in for a new dual-processor PowerMac G5, which has been working flawlessly for over five years. And I swore I wouldn't shop in CrampUSA ever again. I'm surprised it took them so long to go under.

Rizzo72
Dec 8, 2007, 07:25 PM
CompUSA was such a theif pit. I lived near one. Everytime I went to buy something there it was more money than everywhere else. The store was only good for selling CDRW's and DVDRW's thats about it.

No love lost here!!

Analog Kid
Dec 8, 2007, 07:29 PM
But then this describes BestBuy and CircuitCity as well. Last July, I bought my MBP at BestBuy. They had them locked in the display case and didn't have any Macs on display. The guy who got mine out of the locked display had no knowledge about Macs whatsoever and so I just paid for it and left.

They all hire idiots in some way.
That's exactly what I meant by "the competition isn't fierce".
Don't waste your time, when my local CUSA in Rockville, MD shut down back in the summer I stopped by just to take a look and there was nothing but junk!

Micro Center gutted the building and set up shop, the new store is mind blowing with an Apple department larger than my local Apple store and better stocked I spent over an hour in the Apple section last weekend and the customer service is A++++

Yeah, Micro Center is my physical store of choice as well. Someone needs to talk to their buyer and explain that they need to get new products into the store faster, but I've always been pleasantly surprised by their staff. Helpful, knowledgeable, low pressure. It's where I tend to go first when I'm looking for things.

Unfortunately they're getting clobbered here by Fry's, where the staff is unhelpful, clueless and annoyingly persistent, and where it seems every product on the shelf has been returned at least once.

jellomizer
Dec 8, 2007, 07:43 PM
I am not sure but the CompUSA in Latham, NY has been going downhill for years. When it was new it was great. A large supply of software, different hardware and cables to fit your needs, Serial, Parallel, Null Modem Adapters. Wide supply of accessaries, from cheap low quality to high quality products. It was a good spot to get stuff for your computer, even though the apple section was still in the ghetto section of the far right back. Now The apple section is still in the ghetto section in the same spot even though it had increased it popularity. The software section is about 1/4 of the original size replaced with TVs and a huge section dedicated to digital cameras and pda's much larger then what is needed.
What seems like that happened was they made the same mistake that a lot of companies do. They went towards selling a lot of high priced items at the expense of lower priced items that people will come back for again and again. They should have made it easy for us to find cheap USB and Firewire Cables, Not the high quality extremely long and expensive ones. Replacement parts should be easy to get, a wide verity of good software. But they moved away from that to compete with Best Buy and Circuit City, they had a good nitch market bigger then Radio Shack (And don't get me on Radio Shack) then they sold out and have a bunch of stuff that are to expensive for impulse buys and not high enough quality for researched purchases.

Cashaw
Dec 8, 2007, 08:43 PM
I used CompUsa to obtain new clients once the sales people had annoyed potential customers enough for them to leave. My sister worked at CompUsa, and she informed me sales of extended warranties was the name of the game. Not selling enough was grounds for slow termination. Meaning they would give you less and less hours until you found another job, thereby quitting. The Apple guy at this store really knew his stuff, and I hope he landed on his feet okay.

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
I used CompUsa to obtain new clients once the sales people had annoyed potential customers enough for them to leave. My sister worked at CompUsa, and she informed me sales of extended warranties was the name of the game. Not selling enough was grounds for slow termination. Meaning they would give you less and less hours until you found another job, thereby quitting. The Apple guy at this store really knew his stuff, and I hope he landed on his feet okay.

HAHAH, that just reminds me of the time I went in to CompUSA and they had a special where they would install your modem for you for $29.99... lol what a joke... Their service department was pretty crappy come to think of it. I always went there for PC games though, this was back before all the EB / Gamestops starting popping up everywhere.

neoelectronaut
Dec 8, 2007, 09:15 PM
Well, I work for CompUSA. The Metairie, LA location.

I can't speak for the company because I frankly don't give a **** but as far as my store, I'll be sad to leave. My managers have always been awesome. They don't pressure you into selling and frankly become a good friend. My coworkers have been awesome, and with a few exceptions have all been very knowledgable about what they know. Everyone I work with is friendly and in general it's just a great atmosphere. It sometimes has the feeling of an old mom 'n pop computer store sometimes.

Back when I started in '05 I was the only person that knew anything Apple outside of our Apple Rep, Shawn Ritner, so when he wasn't here I was a one-man genius bar, and in many ways still are. When customers come in they're frankly shocked that there is an employee in the store that knows Apple as well as I do. I've made quite a few PC people Apple people as well, by just parking them in front of the machine and showing off Expose, Dashboard, and Spotlight. Recently, Time Machine has been the wower. I'll miss the familiar, repeat customers.

But hey, CompUSA is going down the *******. Life goes on. I could care less about CompUSA the company, but the store I work in I'll definitely miss.

If anyone has been by the Metairie store let me know.

akadmon
Dec 8, 2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I feel sorry for the folks like the guy above, not for the company. Having gotten that out of the way, I plan to be swooping down regularly on my local CompUSA store in the next few weeks to check out the going out of biddness deals :D

bytethese
Dec 8, 2007, 09:31 PM
I am not sure but the CompUSA in Latham, NY has been going downhill for years. When it was new it was great. A large supply of software, different hardware and cables to fit your needs, Serial, Parallel, Null Modem Adapters. Wide supply of accessaries, from cheap low quality to high quality products. It was a good spot to get stuff for your computer, even though the apple section was still in the ghetto section of the far right back. Now The apple section is still in the ghetto section in the same spot even though it had increased it popularity. The software section is about 1/4 of the original size replaced with TVs and a huge section dedicated to digital cameras and pda's much larger then what is needed.
What seems like that happened was they made the same mistake that a lot of companies do. They went towards selling a lot of high priced items at the expense of lower priced items that people will come back for again and again. They should have made it easy for us to find cheap USB and Firewire Cables, Not the high quality extremely long and expensive ones. Replacement parts should be easy to get, a wide verity of good software. But they moved away from that to compete with Best Buy and Circuit City, they had a good nitch market bigger then Radio Shack (And don't get me on Radio Shack) then they sold out and have a bunch of stuff that are to expensive for impulse buys and not high enough quality for researched purchases.

Heh, I used to work at that store while I was in college. For that reason alone, I know why the company is going down hill. Shaddy business practices and even shaddier managers there. Prices were expensive, people that worked there were mostly clueless. Ugh.

I like J&R, Apple Stores and if I need something else, Circuit City and Worst Buy round it out. :)

coolant113
Dec 8, 2007, 09:32 PM
Do you guys know if the online prices are going to be discounted?? if so when?
:apple::apple:

neoelectronaut
Dec 8, 2007, 09:40 PM
No idea as far as online prices, but I do know that the first round of discounts (Between 5% and 30%) will start Wednesday here.

aceducy
Dec 8, 2007, 09:58 PM
It was common knowledge that CompUSA did themselves in. They introduced a horrible upper mangement team a while back, failures that came over from the Sears realm. Once they drove that company into the ground they proceeded to "teach all the customers a lesson" at CompUSA.

Wall St. analysts point to the company's basic numbers resulting from simple operational grudges of CompUSAs approach to store returns. To paraphrase:

There were serious penalties for bring-backs, even if unopened, usually about 20%. Corporate policy. The management insisted merchandise was to move OUT the door and not IN, but the damage it did to the customer base was irreparable. Upper management didn't want to hear about these "whining" customers, after all they had a business to run.

For instance, the penalty to bring back a mouse (maybe you mistakenly had 2) was about $25.00. As soon as they finished gloating over their "win", the customer (of course) would promise never to shop there again. So say you shopped there once a month, and purchased like $100 or so each visit. So if they socked you once for $25.00 and promptly pissed you off, they lose $1200/yr in sales, or about $700 in profits/yr. Quick math multiplied by the each store doing this 10 times a day for 8 years results in multi million dollar losses. And it happened. Investors wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole.

Yes, the board not only allowed it to happen, they condoned it. It filtered all the way down from senior management to the cash register clerk. And now, most of these management idiots have moved to New York and have opened no-return stores on-line such as Amazon and even Ebay.

sine-nomine
Dec 8, 2007, 10:10 PM
Hmm, I'm not entirely sad to see them go, but then again, they do have a better selection than Best Buy or Circuit City on some items like hard drive enclosures.

They had poor service, and the sales people usually didn't know what they were talking about, but that's about par for all stores like this, including Best Buy and Circuit City. I decided I really don't like them when they wanted $900 to replace the reed switch and inverter cable in my iBook. Of course, the repair guy insisted he would have to replace the panel, logic board, and top case, and that I should just get a salesman and buy a new MacBook instead. I bought the $25 cable and fixed my machine myself, but I had to have them loosen one of the little bolts on the lid, for which they charged me $30 for less than a minute of work. Oh well.

Anyway, I went into CompUSA tonight and was told that there would be no discounts on Apple products, which they say they are just going to send back to Apple rather than liquidate. But, I was told I might get up to 5% off on PCs and other products if I wait until after the holidays. I don't think I'm really going to miss them much.

eric55lv
Dec 8, 2007, 10:14 PM

yep i have bb i like CompUSA better anyways theres one by my house

pianodude123
Dec 8, 2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I work for CompUSA. The Metairie, LA location.

I can't speak for the company because I frankly don't give a **** but as far as my store, I'll be sad to leave. My managers have always been awesome. They don't pressure you into selling and frankly become a good friend. My coworkers have been awesome, and with a few exceptions have all been very knowledgable about what they know. Everyone I work with is friendly and in general it's just a great atmosphere. It sometimes has the feeling of an old mom 'n pop computer store sometimes.

Back when I started in '05 I was the only person that knew anything Apple outside of our Apple Rep, Shawn Ritner, so when he wasn't here I was a one-man genius bar, and in many ways still are. When customers come in they're frankly shocked that there is an employee in the store that knows Apple as well as I do. I've made quite a few PC people Apple people as well, by just parking them in front of the machine and showing off Expose, Dashboard, and Spotlight. Recently, Time Machine has been the wower. I'll miss the familiar, repeat customers.

But hey, CompUSA is going down the *******. Life goes on. I could care less about CompUSA the company, but the store I work in I'll definitely miss.

If anyone has been by the Metairie store let me know.

Stuff like this is just sad to hear. I really hope you don't transfer to a Best Buy. I hate best buy with a passion.

GoKyu
Dec 8, 2007, 10:35 PM
I have to agree with neo, as I happen to work at the same store :)

Our manager has taken on a pretty heavy burden lately with all this crap going on, but he remains cool about everything.

I had a customer today looking at an iMac for some "video editing" projects, and ended up showing him a Mac Pro, and he's now seriously considering going that route instead....very good stuff! (I'm still waiting till Macworld to get mine though ;))

TurboSC
Dec 8, 2007, 10:53 PM
I have to agree with neo, as I happen to work at the same store :)

Our manager has taken on a pretty heavy burden lately with all this crap going on, but he remains cool about everything.

I had a customer today looking at an iMac for some "video editing" projects, and ended up showing him a Mac Pro, and he's now seriously considering going that route instead....very good stuff! (I'm still waiting till Macworld to get mine though ;))

Do you guys get good discounts on hardware there? :) You better use it before the doors close hehe.

ReanimationLP
Dec 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
How's RadioShack doing?

Well, I cant speak for the entire company, but my Radioshack that I work for is booming. We always have a ton of customers packing our store, and we're no less than 200 feet from a Best Buy.

Radio shack doesn't have much competition to it's core business. I really don't see Radio Shack disappearing any time soon.

I will say however that for a company that sells technology I've never really seen them apply it well throughout their own company. Nothing really brilliant in inventory control, or POS solutions.

What they have in place is something that is very functional yet fails to get the consumer excited about using it.

Like I said, I cant speak for everyone, but I enjoy my job, my coworkers, and all my coworkers are rather knowledgeable, and we enjoy assisting our customers, showing them all the stuff we have and getting them excited about it.

Our inventory control isnt nowhere near as great as Best Buy, but we do keep all the valuable stuff locked up.

Our POS systems. My god, I hate our POS systems.

Imagine running Windows XP Pro, on a 256MB Dell Optiplex that has a 2.0GHz Celeron and everything built on the mobo, and only being allowed to use Internet Explorer 6, tied to the world's slowest Comcast connection.

Actually, I think some of them have 128MB. :eek:

Gizmotoy
Dec 9, 2007, 12:43 AM
Do you guys get good discounts on hardware there? :) You better use it before the doors close hehe.
The word from employees on some other sites was that since the liquidators took over they ended all employee discounts on the day the closing was officially announced.

I remember going to CompUSA when I was just a kid. I'll be a little sad, but not surprised, to see it go. Their prices were always high, even way back then, and they're recently gotten hostile with customers which obviously worked out well.

MacNoobie
Dec 9, 2007, 12:53 AM
I say good riddance, after firing what 3000 of their top employee's and replacing them with cheaper labor in order to "cost save" instead of say key executives taking cuts on their end I said down with CompUSA.. I cant say I'm sad they're going and I cant say I'm surprised their parent company was bleeding cash.

adlos
Dec 9, 2007, 12:59 AM
Is just plain sad really. And even worse to see (or read) that Apple may be going to Best Buy!! After what they did to me! They sold me 2 used and defectives Macbook Pro's as new!! (I returned them, of course) I'm even still raged about it. I went to CompUSA and bought my macbook pro there and it's been perfect , and it was sealed and new!

Best-Buy is definitely in my store's black list. I just don't like how they treated me , don't like how they handle everything and I just don't wanna buy there anymore, specially not after spending almost 4 thousands dollars and then finding out the product I bought was used and defective. So I guess my only choice is to find an alternative to CompUsa or buy only online. :(

aLoC
Dec 9, 2007, 01:25 AM
C U later CompUSA.

6 years ago you searched my bag in your NJ store and ever since I have worked silently and vigilantly behind the scenes in the financial markets to bring you down. Today the final piece fell in to place. ;)

shadowfax
Dec 9, 2007, 03:07 AM

Downtown Little Rock is really crying for one. Arkansas is so strange... lots of backwoods people, such a gorgeous--really gorgeous--state. Little Rock has some really great areas. I think an apple store would fit right in downtown.

Cheffy Dave
Dec 9, 2007, 05:34 AM
Ding ding ding! You get the gold star for that one, Kira. You're absolutely right. It's like the old saw about "the head of the fish rots first". I've worked for several big-box retailers over the years, and I can tell you that, all things being equal, management sets the pace for the store.

Well, I really have so little patience left at this point for computer owners this is one of those things which I could care less about. If someone doesn't back up their data, or have a spare computer from which to continue conducting their business, then as far as I'm concerned, it just sucks to be them. Any compassion I've ever had has long since been burned away (incinerated, actually).

:eek:nice to know I'm not the only one burned out of PC owner stupidity:cool:

Buran
Dec 9, 2007, 09:00 AM
And now, most of these management idiots have moved to New York and have opened no-return stores on-line such as Amazon and even Ebay.

You can return things at Amazon -- I've done it several times, mostly for things that were their fault (rare, but happens: damaged/incomplete goods) and once for something that was mine -- but you can return things there.

Don't blame ebay for whether or not you can return things -- that's up to the seller you buy from. I sell things "as is" when I sell there, and blaming ebay for the fact that I don't take returns (which I disclose in the listings ahead of time) is silly.

I don't, and won't, miss CompUSA. I build PCs now from parts bought from newegg (no BS, better selection, and good prices) and Mac stuff I buy either from Amazon or from Apple direct. CompUSA is a joke -- dirty stores, ignorant staff, warranty harassment, and bad selection. I once went in to buy something simple, and the PDA section was gone and the racks were covered with, I kid you not, 50 different ipod cases. While I like ipods and I have a few, I don't need 50 cases, I just wanted a PDA stylus. I bought my Macbook Pro direct from Apple, and I've bought a lot of computers, or influenced purchase of them, direct from Apple. Who wouldn't go to a clean, pleasant place that doesn't push extended warranties when the alternative is a slum dirthole that harasses you to buy one?

The last thing I ever bought at a CompUSA was a pack of stuffbak.com stickers. I'll be buying those from stuffbak.com in the future -- the ones that CompUSA had started flaking and peeling within months. They couldn't be bothered to stock the real-metal type that can actually stand up to hard use.

dwl017
Dec 9, 2007, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I feel sorry for the folks like the guy above, not for the company. Having gotten that out of the way, I plan to be swooping down regularly on my local CompUSA store in the next few weeks to check out the going out of biddness deals :D

Don't waste your time they will have nothing but junk.

KiraDouji
Dec 9, 2007, 10:02 AM
:eek:nice to know I'm not the only one burned out of PC owner stupidity:cool:
I third that.

Me: "What operating system do you have?"
Guy: (With a heavy southern accent) "Ex-Ell?"
Wife: (From a short distance away also with a heavy southern accent) "Ex-pee!"
Guy: "Eex-pee."

Apple customers are so much nicer (most of the time). Either they know what they want, or they freely admit they have no frellin' clue what they're doing and actually listen to me when I explain things to them. It's horribly biased, but whatever, I basically acted as an Apple employee for the last month or so anyway.

- Kira

nxent
Dec 9, 2007, 10:52 AM
this is unfortunate. where else am i going to impulse buy my computer equipment. i liked compusa as a non shady, reliable alternative to the apple store for my upgrades.

evilted
Dec 9, 2007, 11:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised.

Best Buy is killing them on price, store locations, depth of stock, and layout. Our CompUSA's (Nashville) haven't been refreshed since the late 90's. They have a very "Slummish" vibe, while the Best Buys are all crisp and clean.

It's also apparent that someone at CompUSA loses a bonus every time they open a cash register line, because they seem to view it as an absolute moral defeat any time they have more than one open! Best Buy seems to staff at a level that keeps checkout quick rather than painful.

Man, I agree with just about everything you said. I've noticed this strange one-register-open behavior since I started going into a CompUSA in Concord, CA back in 1999, and it was the same in the now-closed stores here in Georgia as well. That plus the fact that they never seemed to have correct pricing on large amounts of stock (like PC games) and occasionally offered "Manager's Special" discounts of maybe $300 on year old $2500 laptops. Prior to that I had (99 -> 95 or 96?) been to the CompUSA on 5th Avenue in NYC, and thought that was a pretty well run store.

But excepting the NYC store, they had, as you said, a slum-like quality to them.

They did, however, carry a much deeper selection of product, mostly accessories, than Best Buy, and you could even get a good deal on something there occasionally. At least we have a couple of Fry's Electronics in the area now, and they stock even more parts and accessories than CompUSA ever did. Plus the customer service is, from what I've seen in both CA and GA, a lot better.

Oh, and the help at the CompUSA stores was generally not helpful. Either they were not too interested in helping, or -- more often the case-- they were just not very knowledgeable about the products they were supposed to be selling. Same thing can be said of Best Buy though. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a sales associate at either CompUSA or Best Buy give a customer flat-out wrong advice on a purchase, I might be wealthier than Carlos Slim. ;)

My $.02.

chameleon81
Dec 9, 2007, 12:17 PM
during my 15 months long stay in USA. I bought close to 10 computers - and sold them back in my country of course- none of them was from CompUSA. COmpUSA was always more expensive than circuity city and bestbuy.

elgruga
Dec 9, 2007, 12:34 PM

You dont have to pay it. When a store closes all debts are wiped out.

Another horrible retail outfit goes down. Who cares?
The history and background of these places is always shady and ugly.
Computer City, Best Buy, Future Shop and others HATE customers, only want to sell you the dreaded, and in Apple's case totally unnecessary, 'extended warranty'.
I bought a $9 item that happened to run on batteries in one of these stores and the idiot at the till asks me 'do you want extended warranty?" WTF?
On $9? Are you insane?

Fantasy Crappy Big Retail Store revenge scenario:
"Do you need any help, Sir?"
"Yeah, my car is filthy - can you guys wash it while I aimlessly browse your crappy store and turn all the stereo's to max. volume?"
"Oh, and hey, is there a Foozball table setup somewhere?"

EagerDragon
Dec 9, 2007, 01:09 PM
Cr@p! I just made my parents buy a mini @ a compusa because it was the closest place to buy a mini. And got a year contract instead of applecare, since there was no :apple: store within 250 miles!!! So are they closing down all stores or what?

I hate to tell you this.... but the one year contract was a rip off, see if you can get your money back. As the device is still under warranty, technically the new warranty is not yet active. Good luck with that.

For the next time...... You do not need a store close to you. You can buy applecare from the Apple Online store and you can wait until you are close to runniong out of warranty before you purchase the Apple care. Just don't cut it to close.

Apple will let you mail in the equipment if there is no store close by.

EagerDragon
Dec 9, 2007, 01:21 PM

You could be right, but I highly dough it.
Most credit cards are issued by a bank not the store, the store is just a front to push the card. Also the store may get a cut of you monthly payments or a flat "finders" fee equivalent to n % of the initial charge. Have you notice how most of these cards have 18% to 22% interest. Just for laughts ... see the fine print interest on the card offered by Apple.

evilted
Dec 9, 2007, 01:23 PM

That advice is patently absurd.

Debts are not just wiped out when a store closes. Maybe if Ma & Pa's Computer repair closes nobody will come looking for the $75 you owed them, but outstanding debts accrued on the CompUSA card will undoubtedly be assigned to creditors, who will likely collect through the CompUSA card issuer (which is not CompUSA) as per normal. The debt doesn't just magically disappear in the consumer's favor.

Sure, you can decide not to pay, but you put your credit report at risk and they can always take you to court if they think it's worth their time.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Dec 9, 2007, 02:00 PM
I've never bought from them but I hear their service and prices suck; almost at the Best Buy level.

Ibjr
Dec 9, 2007, 02:22 PM
I didn't have team to read all the posts but posters need to realize this is bad news.

CompUSA was the only source of Apple computers and laptops in some areas. A few years ago when a power adapter broke (just think how often that happens) while on the road, we had to run by a CompUSA. The service was terrible but I got what I needed. Without a CompUSA, we would have had to overnight one from a mail order or Apple.... That just doesn't work.

CompUSA provided a venue for potential switchers to play with OSX -- not everyone lives by an Applestore.

This is bad news.

-- IBJR

compuguy1088
Dec 9, 2007, 03:29 PM
I have a slightly different take. In the cities I've lived in CompUSA has never been the major Mac retailer. There is a store called MicroCenter that is based in Ohio. These stores have Apple stores in them that go beyond an isle or back section of the store. Perhaps they along with Fry's (which has a complete line of Mac products) has given them a run for their money. I understand the comment about CompUSA's slummy vibe. The overall "look and feel" of the store is largely unkept. Now Fry's is the "Walmart" of electronic stores however they keep their inventory up to date. Best Buy I don't consider an Apple Retailer any more than Guitar Center or Sam Ash. These stores are also places that you could purchase a Mac, but the scope of what they carry is limited to the overall stores focus. You can buy an iMac or Mac Pro with FCS but you cannot buy Aperture because its beyond what a music store would ever need to stock even though its made by Apple.

CompUSA's in my area were closed in the first set of closings (NoVA area). Lucky for me we still have a Microcenter in Vienna. Though, with the closing of CompUSA there is one less competitor. It would be nice if Frys would come to the East Cost.....but that will never happen :(.

timclarke07
Dec 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
Only one left in Cincinnati. In the last year I have been there only 4 times.

The reason I stopped shopping there was that during those last 4 visits most of the store employees were up at the service desk or managers office BSing and not on the floor helping customers who just would walk out of the store.

Today was the last day. I walk in the store 7 employees at the service desk just BSing while 8 customers were on the floor trying to find product. You actually had to walk up to the service desk to ask a question and get help!

No way to run a business!

DiamondMac
Dec 9, 2007, 03:43 PM
CompUSA used to have 1-2 more stores down here and we would go to them.

When they shut down, we just stopped going since the only other store is extremely out of the way (and really out of the way for anyone in New Orleans)

jkeithh
Dec 9, 2007, 04:18 PM

Same here in the New Orleans area because the Best Buys here are a joke.

trevorlsciact
Dec 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
I bought an organizer there when I was really young, and a PDA a year or so after that. In 2002 I think. I would have been 11. It was a viewsonic windows mobile pda. it broke like a month after the warranty was up. I liked it though. :rolleyes: *reminisces*

Anyway, here's to you, CompUSA. I'll miss ya!

Hugh
Dec 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
This will not cause much to your CompUSA Credit Card, other then not be able to buy any thing new. Same thing happened to me with another store, and I just had to pay it off then close it out.

Hugh

pale9
Dec 9, 2007, 05:46 PM
i spent countless great hours over the years in compusa. sometimes shopping, often just checking out the newest stuff.

its a real shame....

penter
Dec 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
Finally!
They ripped me off on my first iMac, but that didn't keep me from loving macs thenceforth.

Hugh
Dec 9, 2007, 06:23 PM
Not all store associates in retail stores are bad? I worked in retail for 7 years. I wouldn't lie to a customer and I always gave them my 100%. When I was a store manager I made my staff to be the same. However every now and then you are going to get some bad sales staff, but don't think they all bad.

BTW: I have never worked for commission sales so I don't know what's that like. :confused:

Hugh

I'm pretty sure he just went back to his buddies and they all laughed about what you said. Store associates could give a rip less, they don't see a penny of that sale (or get paid enough to care).

As for CompUSA, I think I bough my first burnable CD from them once a looong time ago. Come to think of it I think that's the last time I ever saw a CompUSA.

Wayfarer
Dec 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
Excuse me, while I bawl my poor eyes out and cry myself to sleep. :(

Ay me, what a grave travesty!

Steven Ballmer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:18 PM
Apple controls mac profit margins, if you sell pc's you can have 500% markup and still be competitive!

Teh Don Ditty
Dec 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
Apple controls mac profit margins, if you sell pc's you can have 500% markup and still be competitive!

Having worked at Best Buy for the holiday season back in '03 I can tell ya, the computers aren't marked up that much, if at all. Biggest markups were on TVs

Steven Ballmer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:31 PM
Having worked at Best Buy for the holiday season back in '03 I can tell ya, the computers aren't marked up that much, if at all. Biggest markups were on TVs

A $1000 Dell only cost the store $200, that's 500%

Teh Don Ditty
Dec 9, 2007, 09:33 PM

$1000 Dell is what DELL is charging, not Best Buy. Come on now, we all know that it's cheaper to build your own computer then to buy from Dell (or any other PC manufacturer)

Steven Ballmer
Dec 9, 2007, 09:49 PM
$1000 Dell is what DELL is charging, not Best Buy. Come on now, we all know that it's cheaper to build your own computer then to buy from Dell (or any other PC manufacturer)

The store must charge the highest margin they cah get away with!

Teh Don Ditty
Dec 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
The store must charge the highest margin they can get away with!

fixed that for ya.

Really? I didn't know that!

:rolleyes:

alljunks
Dec 9, 2007, 10:00 PM
i always thought someone would buy all the retail....

stoutboy1
Dec 9, 2007, 11:09 PM
Okay, So I get that most are in agreement that CompUSA sucks and are over priced. Yes you will have to pay your bill... and it sucks that you bought the optional warranty. That Out of the way we should focus all our posts here on the great deals that they are or will be having... I could use some cheap apple accessories. The website still has over priced stuff so as soon as anyone hears or sees anything post it up.:D

elgruga
Dec 10, 2007, 12:35 AM
That advice is patently absurd.

Er..No its not - its called a JOKE. Guys, I made a joke!

BUT - if you dont want to pay the bill, simply change your telephone number and forget all about it.
The worst thing that can happen is your credit rating will go into the toilet.

Some more sensible retail advice:

Sears has a 10 year return policy, and its linked to inflation, so if you buy a computer for $1000, you can take it back in 10 years, less a day, and you will get $1000 plus compounded interest at the inflation rate for all of those years!
If the rate was 3% every year, for example, you will get:

$8,000,000.98 back!

weezer160
Dec 10, 2007, 12:43 AM
It doesn't take an expert to realize that because of ever shrinking margins of PCs, most computer stores are relying on the services that they provide to keep them afloat.

I worked at CompUSA. The largest margin I saw on PCs (HP, Gateway), was around $100. The margin on services was typically $65-300. Without any services, the store was not making squat, which is pretty sad. Accessorizing without services could keep them afloat, because of the markup (USB cables are still the most expensive: cost is $1.75 and retail was $17.24). So many accessories are marked up beyond anything that you could imagine (most surge protectors are almost 2x retail than cost).

Apple makes wonderful margins, as I've heard. I remember at one point reading many years ago that a power mac had a $450 margin, not to mention AppleCare, and all the other services Apple has to offer. It's quite obvious that the companies that survive are the ones that not only design and sell, but it's the companies that choose the premium hardware, brining down the cost for consumers. The ideology of "stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap," is a thing of the past. Companies such as CompUSA relied too heavily on volume than on quality. Forget customer service and deals, a company that even sells tons of cheap stuff at low margin is doomed to fail in any market. Creating a large margin and loyal fan base, which not everybody can manage, is a speciality of Apple.

Pandaboots
Dec 10, 2007, 12:51 AM

Well actually thats a 400% increase. They are charging 5x as much as the cost and making a 400% gross profit.

Scottgfx
Dec 10, 2007, 02:17 AM
Last Christmas I went into my local CompUSA to buy a simple "Secret Santa" gift for a fellow employee. While looking around at some products for myself, a salesperson jumped in front of me to get to a computer terminal. No "Excuse Me" or "Sorry". He just acted like he didn't have any social graces whatsoever! OK, whatever. I finally picked up my gift and headed for the checkout. There was one lady in front of me. She and I stood there while the checkout dweeb attempted to figure out "something" with the customer he was dealing with. We stood there, and stood there and we exchanged comments on how long this was taking. I finally walked over to the office a few feet away where the manager was engrossed in conversation with what appeared to be his friends. After standing there for a minute or so, he finally acknowledged me and asked me what I wanted. I believe I had to interrupt the conversation to get that response. I complained about the situation of a slow checkout and the manager finally got up and opened another register over at the support area.

The guy that checked me out was shooting daggers at me. It was obvious that my business was not wanted there. I have had bad retail experiences elsewhere, but this one was easily the worst.

F-U CompUSA! You deserve it!

BTW, This was at the Fort Myers, Florida store. It was only opened just a few years ago.

PrintThis
Dec 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
But that silver lining: dirt cheap things I want!

Don't count on that. The "discounts" were a total joke during the last round of closings. I mean, like jacking the prices up above what they had been (which was already too high), then taking percents off the new price to put it back at the old prices. Wow! Look at the discount.... um... yeah.

It went on like that until the very end of the closing sale. If they do that again, save your gas money and skip it.

Scottgfx
Dec 10, 2007, 02:53 AM
The store must charge the highest margin they cah get away with!

I go to retail stores, not looking for the best price, but looking for at least a decent selection and sales staff with a modicum of respect. I've never asked for much beyond that.

Now Best Buy has actually gotten a bit better over the years. Yeah, it's still crap, but at least the salespeople are more courteous.

The funniest thing I've seen in Best Buy, is the guy trying to tell me that the gold-plated connectors were better for various reasons. I had to tell him that I worked in broadcast television and hardly ever see gold plated anything. The signals still made it from point A-to-B just fine. I was recently in a Target store where the salesperson in the next isle was telling this group that the gold-plated USB cables transfered data faster. I couldn't let that slide.

Yes there are places where gold-plated connectors are important, but unless everything is gold plated, you can run into problem where dissimilar metals can cause electrolytic corrosion and make things worse. Believe me, I've seen it!

Dec 10, 2007, 05:12 AM
I have mixed feelings. Yeah, their service stunk and I knew more than most of their employees, but they were in a good location and always had a large selection of stuff that was usually in stock. I never had to run around looking for stuff because it was out of stock (like I end up doing at say OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc).

The Apple guy at the Greensboro, NC location was very friendly and the best employee that store ever had (in fact he is probably the only person left on earth to provide good customer service).

The thing I hated about CompUSA was the fact that if their employees were getting off shift and were purchasing something, they got to jump ahead of everyone in line.

I went in their this weekend after the announcement. They still had the "Now Hiring" signs up. The guy at the camera counter said, "yeah it sucks - I just started this job this week". Most everyone at the store said it would be closed by January, but they knew nothing about any sales or if they would have any sales. Nothing was marked down when I went in, but I did notice some shelves were empty as it appears they were not going to restock any inventory. One guy said "to prevent a flood of customers, they would probably have silent sales, where the employees would know first and you would only see a sale if you walked in the store - no advertising." One checkout girl said she was saving her money for when all the games go on sale, because they would still get to use their employee discounts.

So much for my new Apple or upgrading my home wireless network this weekend..... I was not paying $100 for a new router when I can get it online cheaper.

One tactic I do not think was fair was a white-board outside the store that said - "Buy your Apple here, why drive to Durham - we have them and better service too." I really hope they open an Apple store in Greensboro and they hire the Apple Guy from Compusa. It would be funny if the location they choose would be the former CompUSA store. They have a good location.

Why would I want to buy my Apple from a store that is closing?? At least Apple is Apple and I could probably get my warranties honored in Durham. But one thing I noticed about store closings is usually if the store closes the manufacturer does not honor the warranty and say "well you have to go through the store you bought it from".

We'll see about any sales, but I noticed the Apple stock is rather slim already...

chameleon81
Dec 10, 2007, 05:48 AM
99% not correct. Your debt is yours.

wattage
Dec 10, 2007, 05:50 AM
There IS an Apple store being built in Little Rock at the new Promenade at Chenal. I know it is confirmed because they've applied for a plumbing permit for construction.

I agree though, it would have been much better at Midtown...
I am so glad you mention that. I was wondering which stores were going in there and am really glad to hear that!!! Finally we get an Apple Store!!

WhoooHooo

Dec 10, 2007, 05:51 AM
One question about Greensboro, NC with CompUSA closing.... Most of the little guys are gone and Greensboro/Burlington is not really an I/T Mecca (hence why it is hard to find a job if you are an I/T person)... Where can I get the same selection of Parts?? I really do not build computers anymore, but I am forever being asked to repair someone's PC. Most people I know are not really that Computer Saavy and cannot afford to buy an off the shelf computer every time their's break. Nor do they want the charges of say "Geek Squad". What if I need to buy just a fan or a cable, or some small part?

I also bet now that CompUsa will be gone and the office stores have limited selection, most of the computers in NC will probably be Dell or Apple. CompUsa was the really only big seller of other brands. BestBuy is usually too crowded and you cannot really play with a computer before buying it (plus their return policy stinks).

Hmm... I see the PC/Windows market share really sliding downward -especially here in NC. As for Circuit City - I heard rumors they are closing stores also, and I really do not want to drive to the one in Durham or Raleigh - way out of my way - and I work in Durham. Their location stinks and is not the safest of areas to shop in.

I could buy online - but North Carolina makes you pay a tax at income tax time for online purchases (to compensate for the list sales tax). Plus the people I know cannot wait for 3-5 days for a UPS shipment for their part to come in.

99% not correct. Your debt is yours.

chamleon you are correct. Especially if the card is underwritten by a larger bank. I know people who are still paying off balances from when Tweeter closed.

Dec 10, 2007, 06:18 AM
To the person who said it is cheaper to build your own PC. Yes that is true. The last one I built was a few years ago. I had to buy everything (case, etc) as I wanted the latest and my parts I had laying around were really too old. It cost $400. What killed the price was the $300 for the Windows Operating system at the time...

That is funny, since the price of the PC is 50%-70% the cost of the operating system. When you buy an off the shelf product, you do not even get the restore disks. Now, for Apple, you get the disks and top-of-the-line hardware the OS is only $79 and they give you freebies like iLife.

However, if you build your own PC, you run into problems like incompatibilities and Windows not recognizing the parts. CompUSA - gonna miss you for the convience, but not the over priced selection because you are the only ones to sell it.

GVegasMac
Dec 10, 2007, 06:54 AM
I actually liked the local CompUSA for one main reason: the Apple shop in the back of the store - it is almost always packed & they usually had what I was looking for... the Apple rep that works there is always nice & cordial and always could answer any question that I might have. I just hope that Apple can keep him in the Greenville area - I don't want to have to go to Atlanta or Charlotte for my Mac help - the Apple retail employees are no where near as helpful or knowledgeable as the Apple reps @ CompUSA....

Iso79
Dec 10, 2007, 07:44 AM
Awesome. I can't wait for Best Buy and Circuit City to go out of business.

akadmon
Dec 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
Awesome. I can't wait for Best Buy and Circuit City to go out of business.

I suppose you think you'll be able to buy your next fridge from Newegg? :eek:

diamond.g
Dec 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
I suppose you think you'll be able to buy your next fridge from Newegg? :eek:

Amazon FTW (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=refrigerator&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arefrigerator&page=1)!!! :D

Asar
Dec 10, 2007, 09:39 AM
i bought my first mac from this store, sucks :(

egwiley
Dec 10, 2007, 10:00 AM
I visited the CompUSA store in Fairlawn, OH yesterday to do a little stocking-stuffer shopping & check the in-store prices.

All the discounts in place were normal holiday level discounts. I asked the clerk if/when some deeper discounts would kick in and he said it should start happening this Wednesday, Dec. 12.

barefeats
Dec 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
CompUSA was the best Mac reseller in Honolulu back in the early 2000s. There was no Apple Retail Store in existence when I lived there. CompUSA sold more Macs than any other store in America. Apple's market share in Hawaii was higher than other states.

Then in 2003 I moved to San Diego and discovered Frys Electronics. Between that and the Apple Retail Stores, I never returned to CompUSA again. Though Frys' Mac department was wimpy, they did have all models of Mac and iPod in stock. And they took returns without restocking fees.

Though Apple's Retail Store is great at what it does, I think the Frys chain had a more to do with its demise on the West Coast. Especially when you consider Frys (like CompUSA) sells PCs, PC components, LCD/Plasma TVs, office supplies, books, etc., -- but has larger inventory and more variety.

jasper fink
Dec 10, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have had nightmare experiences with Comp USA in NYC! When waiting forever for the dual processor G-5's to launch, A salesperson at Comp USA said "hey, why wait for the duals you can now replace or upgrade your processors by yourself". I fell for this line of bull and bought it. Of course a week later the duals came out. And when I asked the tech support at apple about upgrading, he put me on hold and had me repeat what the sales guy at Comp USA had told me. The all I heard was the kind of laughter that beer comes out of your nose.
When I went to the store and spoke with the Manager he said the employee had been fired and he was sorry I listened to him.
When I bought my laptop from these crooks I was told I would receive the 23 month no interest no payment plan that was being offered. Well the salesperson wrote it up wrong as a 90 day plan and it took me almost 6 months of phone calls, letters to the Department of Consumer affairs, The BBB and The Chamber of Commerce. At last they came through and gave me what I had asked for. This is a classic bait and switch company that has no right doing business in the USA. I am sure they would be considered professional in Mexico though.

JuicyGoo
Dec 10, 2007, 12:41 PM
No idea as far as online prices, but I do know that the first round of discounts (Between 5% and 30%) will start Wednesday here.

So is Wednesday the day all of the stores will start offering discounts?

I went into the NYC store this Sat and there were no indications of any price cuts. And as of now the website looks the same.

evillageprowler
Dec 10, 2007, 01:04 PM
Where I live, I had two CompUSA stores (Edison + Princeton, NJ). I also have several BestBuy, CircuitCity, OfficeDeport, Staples, etc., stores in the area. And, one Apple store.

The two CompUSA stores closed in the first round. I was actually disappointed. I liked walking the aisles there. I didn't care that no staff member approached to ask me if I needed help. I really liked looking at all the PC accessories they had. I build Linux boxes at home, and they run MythTV. I was (and am) a serious consumer of specific Hauppauge WinTV cards (with the Conexant chipset). Sure, I could buy from Newegg, but sometimes I just needed the darn cards quickly. Add shipping to the cost, and the cards from CompUSA only costed ~ $5 more...

Basically... I liked being able to browse at the extensive and varied inventory -- including Macs -- all in a single store. And, best of all, not a single employee bothered me by asking if I needed any help.

Finally, my worst experience with warranty was with BestBuy. Ughhhh... The salesperson tried to sell me the warranty before making sure he had the laptop I wanted. Turned out that they were out of stock on that model -- but realized that ~ 20 minutes after pressuring me to buy the warranty for the battery. I eventually went across the street to CircuitCity and bought a laptop from an extremely clueless salesman. This was 2004, I think. Still have my laptop with the original battery. Never needed the warranty.

I am sorry for all the good folks who will lose their jobs. Luckily, I have never experienced any of the nightmare stories regarding CompUSA.

Since this is a Mac forum, I'll say that my best experiences at these types of stores have been at the Apple store in Edison, NJ. (The only other Apple store I've been to is the Cube at Central Park South -- that one was a bloody madhouse!)

EVP

phgreer
Dec 10, 2007, 01:37 PM
I actually liked the local CompUSA for one main reason: the Apple shop in the back of the store - it is almost always packed & they usually had what I was looking for... the Apple rep that works there is always nice & cordial and always could answer any question that I might have. I just hope that Apple can keep him in the Greenville area - I don't want to have to go to Atlanta or Charlotte for my Mac help - the Apple retail employees are no where near as helpful or knowledgeable as the Apple reps @ CompUSA....

it's rumored and I stress rumored that Apple is going to be setting up a real Apple Store in Greenville, SC. (This info is not from an Apple rep. but from links posted on the Urban Planet Forums) More than likely it will be in the new shopping they will be building near the the current CompUSA called Magnolia Place. If that is the case it would be great if Apple could at least rent out the CompUSA Greenville store until they get the penament place build. Normally I would say just remodel the CompUSA but it's stuck in the far corner of a parking lot with low visibility from the main highway. If Apple doesn't located their I would love to see a really nice Apple Store in downtown Greenville.

For those in the Greenville area who are interested the local Mac User's Group (of which I am a member) is meeting tonight for Christmas party and other Apple fun. The Apple rep. will probably be there as well.

http://www.greenvillemug.org

Ryan5505
Dec 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
Opinions on retail stores vary greatly from place to place. I mention this because I'm seeing mainly two types of posts here; "good riddance" and "oh, that's sad". Well, frankly, the type of service you get from any big chain it going to depend on the managers. The CompUSA in Greensboro, NC, for example, has a lot of good people in it because the management doesn't put up with ******** like five employees standing around doing nothing. Likewise, there are ones in which people have had bad service. I could give a reverse example with Best Buy; the one in Newington, NH has excellent customer service and is a clean, easy place to shop, but the one in Greensboro makes me hate people. Literally.

Please keep that in perspective when you go on about "good riddance" and "reaping what you sow". Personally, I sowed customer service and approachability that brought people back to the store; I certainly didn't sow losing my job directly after the holidays.

- Kira

It is astonishing to me that two of you think so highly of Comp USA in Greensboro. My company is 80/30 Macs/PCs and we never go to Comp USA b/c of the poor service.

Last Friday we went to pick up a 24 iMac, after about 20 minutes we were told there were none on hand.
Hopefully there will be a sale on the 50 iMac 20inch machines they have.

I have seen the Comp USA apple rep at the Southpark store, I'm sure he can transfer to friendly center once it opens.

Ryan5505
Dec 10, 2007, 02:43 PM
I have mixed feelings. Yeah, their service stunk and I knew more than most of their employees, but they were in a good location and always had a large selection of stuff that was usually in stock. I never had to run around looking for stuff because it was out of stock (like I end up doing at say OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc).

The Apple guy at the Greensboro, NC location was very friendly and the best employee that store ever had (in fact he is probably the only person left on earth to provide good customer service).

The thing I hated about CompUSA was the fact that if their employees were getting off shift and were purchasing something, they got to jump ahead of everyone in line.

I went in their this weekend after the announcement. They still had the "Now Hiring" signs up. The guy at the camera counter said, "yeah it sucks - I just started this job this week". Most everyone at the store said it would be closed by January, but they knew nothing about any sales or if they would have any sales. Nothing was marked down when I went in, but I did notice some shelves were empty as it appears they were not going to restock any inventory. One guy said "to prevent a flood of customers, they would probably have silent sales, where the employees would know first and you would only see a sale if you walked in the store - no advertising." One checkout girl said she was saving her money for when all the games go on sale, because they would still get to use their employee discounts.

So much for my new Apple or upgrading my home wireless network this weekend..... I was not paying $100 for a new router when I can get it online cheaper.

One tactic I do not think was fair was a white-board outside the store that said - "Buy your Apple here, why drive to Durham - we have them and better service too." I really hope they open an Apple store in Greensboro and they hire the Apple Guy from Compusa. It would be funny if the location they choose would be the former CompUSA store. They have a good location.

Why would I want to buy my Apple from a store that is closing?? At least Apple is Apple and I could probably get my warranties honored in Durham. But one thing I noticed about store closings is usually if the store closes the manufacturer does not honor the warranty and say "well you have to go through the store you bought it from".

We'll see about any sales, but I noticed the Apple stock is rather slim already...
We drove to Durham after we were told there were no 24 inch iMacs in stock. If you look to the left wall above the apple area you will see about 30 20 inch iMac boxes.

The Apple store will be in Friendly Center:
The Apple store will actually be located at Friendly Center, adjcent to yet not in The Shops at Friendly Center. [IFO - Thanks, correction made.]

Thank you,
Ginny Olson
Retail Marketing Director
Starmount Company

WhiteShadow
Dec 10, 2007, 03:28 PM
honestly I'm shocked CompUSA has been around for as long as it has, I predicted this would happen 5 years ago.

akadmon
Dec 10, 2007, 06:25 PM
honestly I'm shocked CompUSA has been around for as long as it has, I predicted this would happen 5 years ago.

I shop in Nashua (NH) where there is a CircuitCity right next door to a BestBuy. As it is almost impossible to find parking in the BB lot, I just park 30 yards up the hill by CC. The conclusion is obvious: CC cannot compete.

Dec 10, 2007, 07:23 PM
We drove to Durham after we were told there were no 24 inch iMacs in stock. If you look to the left wall above the apple area you will see about 30 20 inch iMac boxes.

The Apple store will be in Friendly Center:
The Apple store will actually be located at Friendly Center, adjcent to yet not in The Shops at Friendly Center. [IFO - Thanks, correction made.]

Thank you,
Ginny Olson
Retail Marketing Director
Starmount Company

Well thank you Ginny, as I heard rumors on it being Hanes Mall closer to W/S. But I just googled before seeing your post.
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071129/NRSTAFF/71129015

Dec 10, 2007, 07:36 PM
It is astonishing to me that two of you think so highly of Comp USA in Greensboro. My company is 80/30 Macs/PCs and we never go to Comp USA b/c of the poor service.

Last Friday we went to pick up a 24 iMac, after about 20 minutes we were told there were none on hand.

I have seen the Comp USA apple rep at the Southpark store, I'm sure he can transfer to friendly center once it opens.
Good - he is a good guy. I would hate to see him lose his job. He was the CompUSA Genius Bar, and did many things the PC tech support charged an arm and a leg for. He stood by his customers. As for CompUSA in Greensboro, one thing I must say (despite their otherwise poor service and high prices) - all the other reps knew Apple was better and told people to talk to the Apple Guy before buying a PC. Only one person at CompUsa ever said to me "well, I wouldn't go with Apple".

KiraDouji
Dec 10, 2007, 10:13 PM

I seriously hope you aren't one of those people who just stand around looking miffed half the time and think they need an Apple rep to check inventory. :rolleyes:

On another note, I doubt Apple will ever go more than 5-10% on sale. Since Apple is almost never on sale, most of the stock is going to be gone at that price point. You'll be beyond lucky to get it at 15-20%, but good luck anyway. Hell, I'd take it.

- Kira

Shore Points
Dec 10, 2007, 11:17 PM
My CompUSA and Best Buy are right next to each other. My saturday ritual is always to grab a coffee....drive on down to the Best Buy/CompUSA spot...and window shop for about an hour. I'd typically pick up a thing or two from time to time. Spend the majority of my $$$ in Best Buy though.

The CompUSA was handy from time to time. Sometimes they would have stuff that wasn't available anywhere else. I got my Touch from there when it first came out. Nobody else had stock.

I would never buy a system from them though.

I think what did them in was their reach in to the consumer goods area. They went overboard on the TVs, DVDs, player, remotes, Direct TV, ect, ect.

I really don't have a problem with Best Buy (they do need to bulk up their Apple selections...but they are just starting out).

I'm OK w/ CompUSA going away. I do HATE circuit city though. They have gone down the crapper as well.

Anyway.....looking forward to the deep discounts. :)

miTunes75
Dec 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't be surprised.

That's true. I usually frequent the BB in Rivergate area here - I have yet to see them sell mac computers?!? I haven't seen them, anyway.

poe diddley
Dec 10, 2007, 11:29 PM

You have to wonder about the timing of it all, though. The Greensboro Apple Store is announced a week prior to news about Greensboro's CompUSA closing? I know CompUSA sells other items other than Apple products, but it makes you wonder if that was serendipity or a well calculated plan.

OMG u just made me really happy. I heard about the compUSA closing and i figured we were ish out of luck since the closest Apple stores are over an hour away. i looked on the apple site, but didn't see anything about a new store in greensboro. maybe i didn't look n the right place. but either way u made my day. hopefully the service guy from compusa will get to go over to the apple store since i heard he's pretty decent.

DiamondMac
Dec 11, 2007, 12:00 AM
That's true. I usually frequent the BB in Rivergate area here - I have yet to see them sell mac computers?!? I haven't seen them, anyway.

I think the BB down here recently added a Mac section...it is recent though

SiliconAddict
Dec 11, 2007, 01:35 AM
With all due malice . . . .Good. I've never seen a worse company then CompUSA in regards to customer service. The ONLY time I could attract someone's attention in two of their stores here in MN was when I was in a suit. Otherwise shorts and a tee got me nothing. Then there is the 3 months it took to get my laptop back from their repair shop of doom. Eventually when I got it back they handed it back to me without the CD-RW drive door cover and had the gal to say it came that way. WTH?!?? Finally they were the ones that killed my true computer retailer love.....Oh Computer City. How I miss thee. Eaten by the megacrap chain known as CompUSA. But now I have a new love...Microcenter. CompUSA isn't fit to hold Microcenter's jockUSB cord.

So in conclusion if there isn't a level of heck for CompUSA I would suggest we petition Satan to get building soon.

Dec 11, 2007, 05:36 AM
OMG u just made me really happy. I heard about the compUSA closing and i figured we were ish out of luck since the closest Apple stores are over an hour away. i looked on the apple site, but didn't see anything about a new store in greensboro. maybe i didn't look n the right place. but either way u made my day. hopefully the service guy from compusa will get to go over to the apple store since i heard he's pretty decent.

the Greensboro News and Record and an employee from Starmount both said the new Apple Store will be adjacent to the Friendly Shopping Center Complex. I heard rumors that the Apple Guy from CompUsa may be working at the Durham Store Temporarily until the Greensboro one opens. Either way, Apple is still going to be convienant to Greensboro. Since Greensboro and Durham is about 45 minutes from me, either one is local - but I must say the Apple Guy from CompUsa is generally more courteous than Durham. The Apply Guy from CompUsa is what Customer Service should be.

bmorris
Dec 11, 2007, 01:13 PM
so if theyre closing alll their stores... does this mean any big sales soon?