Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Its obvious the appletv isn't going very well so I reckon apple will (at macworld), update the appletv's hardware and software but also let all of the current users of the appletv update their software for free!! I reckon to get appletv going much better than what they are doing right now they would have to do that. what do you guys reckon will happen at macworld?? Do you guys see this happening??

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
I just am trying hard to see the benefit of AppleTV. I just don't use iTunes for buying movies. I buy DVD's and put them into my player. Great quality on the upconverting player at this point. I'll probably make the move to one of the high def formats as soon as I figure out which one is the "winner" of the war.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
The only way that I can see the AppleTV taking off is if they include some ability as a PVR style device.

Maybe a link up with Elgato?

The TV Shows from iTunes does not work so they might as well dump that and give everyone the chance to record what they want.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I think the only way for it to work is to be able to record TV ergo eyeTV.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Hasn't apple always provided free software updates (Unless it was a new version of OS X)?:confused:

you miss understood me. Apple rarely make available the software to the previous model once they have updated the hardware of the product. I think they will update everything at macworld but I think they need to give the software update to all appletv users. I was referring to microsoft when they updated the zune, they gave the software update to the previous model which was very impressive.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Here's what I'd like to see:

1. 720 HD and standard DVD-def content with Dolby Digital or DTS (huge files, licensing issues, etc.).

2. Addition to Quicktime (i.e., Back Row) the ability to passthrough DD and/or DTS through the optical port for true 5.1 surround.

3. Integration of DVD Player app such that VOB files on hard drives can be used with ATV, as is currently doable with Front Row (true 5.1).

4. Maybe, possibly, hopefully a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player as a USB add-on device in same form-factor. This would require additional software support in Back Row and should also include audio passthrough. Might need to downsize 1080? I don't know.

I don't think DVR capabilities would help me all that much anyway, since I have Eye TV Hybrid and it already integrates pretty seamlessly with the ATV.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
A product requiring a HDTV should at least be able to play broadcast quality HD content. Why don't Apple start there? If they really want to start impressing people, they should at least collaborate with El Gato to make EyeTV work through ATV's already existing USB port. That's the least amount of effort I can think of to give it PVR capabilities.

hscottm

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2005
Here's what I'd like to see:
4. Maybe, possibly, hopefully a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo player as a USB add-on device in same form-factor. This would require additional software support in Back Row and should also include audio passthrough. Might need to downsize 1080? I don't know.

This got me thinking - I wonder whether Apple will release this as the external drive for the new ultraportable OR and appletv?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
This got me thinking - I wonder whether Apple will release this as the external drive for the new ultraportable OR and appletv?

I don't know, but if they release it for the ATV, it'd have to work with all the Macs since it would be USB2 and only require an update to DVD App (including a rename). Heck, they could even put HDMI or component out on the thing and use the USB port to control the device from the ATV - perhaps send the ATV screen to the drive using the new Screen Sharing technology so that both the ATV screen and the BR/HD-DVD screens show up as one on the monitor's selected input. There are lots of possibilities; let's hope Apple comes through.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
I reckon AppleTV to go the way of the Newton.

Once rentals and HD movies are introduce at MacWorld. Sales will take off, if anyone can do online rentals right it's Apple. Online rentals have been around for a while, but when Apple reinvents the system as they do with many ideas it will be a revolution.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Rentals would certainly help in the US. The Apple TV is already dead everywhere else though.

I was interested in the idea when it was announced, thought it had the idea to change the way people watched TV. I haven't given it a second thought since. For me there is a single overriding issue: Whether the functionality changes of not they can't hide the fact that there is currently no content for it.

I get DVD's in the mail from Zip (Canadian netflix). Its much easier to watch those on a DVD player than it is to try and get it onto an Apple TV.

License agreements prevent me from buying or renting any content from iTunes, so that's non-starter.

I don't see enough worthwhile content on YouTube to justify a $349 dedicated YouTube playing box.

Likewise for Video podcasts.

As for streaming music Wii Transfer already streams iTunes playlists for me, without adding an extra box.

The only thing that can change this is rentals that offer a better value deal than the $24.95 / month subscription I get in the mail.

Since they can't even sell me a Pixar movie yet, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Halsey12

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2006
Portland
I just bought one tonight! It's going very well for me, except the Apple employee sold me the wrong audio cable... L and R to an iPod jack... Duh!

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2007
Some of us make excellent use out of the AppleTV and love it, me included. See this thread. I rent movies from Netflix, rip them in near-full quality and reference them in iTunes from a 1TB HD. It's fantastic to have hundreds of movies available at the press of a button and the quality of new movies will only increase when the ripping of BluRay and HD-DVD becomes more prevalent. Neither format will "win" and this method circumvents the need to choose, and most importantly, costs far less.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
Some of us make excellent use out of the AppleTV and love it, me included. See this thread. I rent movies from Netflix, rip them in near-full quality and reference them in iTunes from a 1TB HD. It's fantastic to have hundreds of movies available at the press of a button and the quality of new movies will only increase when the ripping of BluRay and HD-DVD becomes more prevalent. Neither format will "win" and this method circumvents the need to choose, and most importantly, costs far less.

I completely agree with you. I support HD DVD thought, and the rest of the blu only titles are on my AppleTV....

If Apple would hurry with the HD content, they could be a contender in this format war.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
If Apple would hurry with the HD content, they could be a contender in this format war.

I know I'd certainly like to have a way to rent 720p (or better) movies. I'd always prefer to have a physical disc, but if I can get an HD movie for a few days (to later decide if I want it on BR/HDDVD) I'd certainly give up a few iTunes points for that.

But it'd have to be VERY few. I don't mind paying, but I really don't think I should have to pay more than half what it would cost me to go to the video store and rent the thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.