Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
So I got a little bit of apple juice (I know how ironic) spilt on my keyboard and a, s, q, w keys are now a bit sticky.

I have read threads telling people to pop off the keys for cleaning underneath, but I cannot find and guide as to how to do so. Yes I used the search function. GASP!

And before there are questions, yes, I took all the proper precautions to be sure that the liquid would not get in and fry things, I turned it off and let it dry for two days. Everything is working fine except for the sticky keys.

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks in advance.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
OK, I think he means the MBP keyboard??

1) look at the key you want to pop off.
2) get your finger underneath the top left corner of that key
3) pull up till you hear a click
4) then do the same with the bottom left part and slide out to the right

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
OK, I think he means the MBP keyboard??

1) look at the key you want to pop off.
2) get your finger underneath the top left corner of that key
3) pull up till you hear a click
4) then do the same with the bottom left part and slide out to the right

Sorry, yeah I meant the MBP keyboard..

damn, I tried to make a detailed post and I for got to tell y'all what computer I am using

EDIT: Sorry, but that does not seem to be working.

I get my finger under there and pull up, but I hear no click and I do not want to pull harder, I feel like I am about to break the key right off (in a bad way).

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I get my finger under there and pull up, but I hear no click and I do not want to pull harder, I feel like I am about to break the key right off (in a bad way).

There's a good way to break the keys of your MBP?!? ;)

Gently try pulling the keys from the top with your finger on the bottom edge to act as leverage.
Good luck.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
There's a good way to break the keys of your MBP?!? ;)

Gently try pulling the keys from the top with your finger on the bottom edge to act as leverage.
Good luck.

Follow his advice. Do not break a key - that will annoy you :)

My advice holds for PowerBooks an has been tried and tested.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
My advice. Don't do it. I did something similar not to long ago on my old MBP. The MPB keyboard design is extremely sensitive and the snaps that hold the keys in break easily. Pay the money and have someone else who is certified do it. I was told that because of one key they had to order in a whole new keyboard.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
My advice. Don't do it. I did something similar not to long ago on my old MBP. The MPB keyboard design is extremely sensitive and the snaps that hold the keys in break easily. Pay the money and have someone else who is certified do it. I was told that because of one key they had to order in a whole new keyboard.

I agree, actually. Broken keys have a tendency of never quite behaving normally again, even when you think you've popped them perfectly into place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.