PDA

View Full Version : problems with apps (like Office) transferred from iBook to MacBook w/Setup Assistant

beethovengirl
Dec 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I just got a new SR MacBook and yesterday I used Setup Assistant to transfer everything from my old iBook G4 running Tiger to my new MacBook. When I opened Microsoft Word, it seemed to be working ok, but when I went to open a specific .doc file, I got the spinning beach ball. I tried to force quit MS Word, but the force quit window was hung too [and it also showed Mail and Safari as not responding], so I had to shut down the MacBook with the power button.

Is this standard behavior given that Word was "installed" via the Setup Assistant? That is, I should have expected to have to install Office with the installation disks...? If so, do I have to delete my current version of Office first?

I can't say that I'm thrilled with my new MacBook. Apple Mail unexpectedly quit last night, and I've already had to force a shut down. I'm wondering if I caused too many problems by allowing Setup Assistant to transfer my application files from my iBook. Maybe I should start all over and re-install the system and transfer my stuff manually? Do you have any suggestions?

thank you! :)

Fleetwood Mac
Dec 8, 2007, 05:20 PM
You shouldn't have problems like those, but the reality is that some users experience similar issues. I've had the most problems going from PPC Macs (like your iBook) to Intel machines (like your MacBook). It might be best to reinstall atleast the applications manually as the Setup Assistant can be unreliable for some.

beethovengirl
Dec 8, 2007, 05:41 PM
thanks for your reply :)

I also posted about my problem on the Apple Discussion Forums, and I got a reply saying I shouldn't have used Setup Assistant:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1283023&tstart=0

Do you think I should reformat my drive and start all over? If so, how do I do this?

I'm concerned about all the potential glitches from all the PPC programs I transferred using Setup Assistant...

Then again, I want to be able to transfer my Safari bookmarks, saved passwords, and e-mails in Apple Mail...

Fleetwood Mac
Dec 8, 2007, 06:06 PM
Then again, I want to be able to transfer my Safari bookmarks, saved passwords, and e-mails in Apple Mail...
You can. There is an awesome guide for backing up and restoring those files here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301239

Also, I think there may be an option to restore files and settings but not the actual application files in the Setup Assistant. I can't remember for sure, but regardlessly you'll have a more stable, clean install if you do it manually.

joegomolski
Dec 8, 2007, 07:03 PM
I've had enough problems with setup assistance that I don't use it.

In a situation like yours I'm going to recommend that you begin again.

Insert your OS X install disk. When you're asked what kind of install, select erase and install. This will give you a clean start.

When the OS X has been installed, then reinstall you're applications.

Finally connect, via firewire, your 2 Macs and transfer your user files.

Let us know how it goes.