Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Didn't want to resurrect a dead thread, but couldn't find anything relevant in any of the other threads so I am asking here.

I am going to buy an iPod touch for Christmas, going away so it has to be bought within the coming week to take with me. I wont open it till the day though.

I know where to look for the week number in the serial number from what I have read: #X#######, so what is a good week now. I don't want to accidentally get given (maybe on purpose by the store though) an older iPod touch model that has issues. Am I right in assuming week 37 and before is bad, week 38 onwards is good ? Week 40+ is best ?

Thanks for any help/advice.

mrg6290

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
I do believe they pulled the remaining Week 36s and 37s from the shelves. The oldest I have seen at many of the stores I have visited has been a week 38. I myself received a week 38 about 3 weeks ago from Sam's. I was hoping for the current week, which was 41 I believe, but my 38 looks great, so no complaints.

franzmueller

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Spain
I got mine ( the first batch in Spain to arrive second week of October ) and it was a week 37 so .... it works as it should with no screen issues or whatsoever .

Saludos

hopdevil

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
More explanation please?

Hello, first post. I’m possibly buying a X-mas gift tomorrow for myself as well. What is with the serial numbers, and how and were do you see them on the touch. I think I am buying from Circuit City.

Also, what is all the jail breaking? I have searches a lot of it, but really don’t understand it. It looks like people are going back in firmwares?

Finally, does everyone hopefully think they will be releasing flash browsing very very soon?!?!

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Is the serial really a thing any more? I got mine in Japan so maybe it's different wherever you are - but from all I've seen the issues with touch was an early days thing which was quickly fixed. I don't think you can buy bad ones any more?

As for jailbreaking, all that does is change some things so you can sftp to your touch from a computer and upload your own files and apps. This means you can run iPhone apps like Mail, or other stuff like the gba emulator or sudoku or whatever.

Some people are scared of jailbreaking coz they think their touch might get killed but from what I can tell it's perfectly safe and reversible. Although I only "broke" mine for fun originally I could never go back to a raw touch now - I use the extra apps too much.

As for how to do it there are lots of threads on that, it's pretty simple.

As for flash - I don't think Apple is in any rush for this, they don't really see the touch the same way we do. If you -need- flash, probably the touch is a bad buy. It might happen, but it could well never happen.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Hello, first post. I’m possibly buying a X-mas gift tomorrow for myself as well. What is with the serial numbers, and how and were do you see them on the touch. I think I am buying from Circuit City.

Also, what is all the jail breaking? I have searches a lot of it, but really don’t understand it. It looks like people are going back in firmwares?

Finally, does everyone hopefully think they will be releasing flash browsing very very soon?!?!

See my first post, 3rd paragraph, the serial number will be printed on the back of the box near the barcode.

I actually forgot to check my touch in store, however remembered on the bus and found it was week 46 or so, IIRC. I can't open it till Christmas though.

Is the serial really a thing any more? I got mine in Japan so maybe it's different wherever you are - but from all I've seen the issues with touch was an early days thing which was quickly fixed. I don't think you can buy bad ones any more?

As for jailbreaking, all that does is change some things so you can sftp to your touch from a computer and upload your own files and apps. This means you can run iPhone apps like Mail, or other stuff like the gba emulator or sudoku or whatever.

Some people are scared of jailbreaking coz they think their touch might get killed but from what I can tell it's perfectly safe and reversible. Although I only "broke" mine for fun originally I could never go back to a raw touch now - I use the extra apps too much.

As for how to do it there are lots of threads on that, it's pretty simple.

As for flash - I don't think Apple is in any rush for this, they don't really see the touch the same way we do. If you -need- flash, probably the touch is a bad buy. It might happen, but it could well never happen.

I didn't know if it was still an issue, hence why I asked, just in case. And I still don't know if it really is an issue as I haven't opened it yet...

As for Flash... why would you want to ? I suppose it'd be better for web games, no need to port a special version for the touch when you can just use the original, but websites that matter shouldn't use flash... at least not for anything major/ they should offer text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.