Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I accidently cracked the internal display on my Macbook, and it looks pretty messed up whenever I try to use it. What will I have to do to get a new display? Will it cost a lot of money to do whatever I would need to do?

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Whatever you do, do not go through Apple. They will screw you in price. Yes, it will cost a lot of money. But you can save a lot through macservice.com. :)

Good luck...

eman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2007
In the great white north
I agree on not using Apple for this repair. You can buy new LCDs on ebay for about $170 shipped. You will have to swap the LCD yourself and you can find the instructions at ifixit.com.
The down side is: If you break the panel or something else, you eat the cost.

The upside: You save hundreds.
This will save you some money. If your not up for the challenge and you want to sell your macbook, send me an email.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
If you go the iFixit route, get an entire display, not just the LCD. Replacing just the LCD is a very long and difficult process.

fsckminix6

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Chicago (847)
ive done it. you can do it just take your time and label all the screws and whatnot. and you will save a ton of money trick is not cracking the bezel around the panel. trick is a little tape around a flat head screwdriver. best of luck sorry to hear about you puter

Billy Bob

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2007
ive done it. you can do it just take your time and label all the screws and whatnot. and you will save a ton of money trick is not cracking the bezel around the panel. trick is a little tape around a flat head screwdriver. best of luck sorry to hear about you puter

Ya it's fairly straight forward procedure, you shouldn't have any problems. If on the other hand you go through apple for the repair the price will be an absolute arm and a leg, you'd be better off selling it for parts and buying a new one.

Tshapi

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2007
We are forgetting to ask if he has applecare. because self service voids his warranty!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.