Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolcatfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Hello there,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. It somewhat relates to graphics.

I've just got myself a new monitor, an Acer AL1916W. I know that a cheaper monitor isn't going to give me amazing results but I have an older style of the same monitor and they are a world apart.

The new monitor on my Mac has a really noticable blue hue to it. Its still not great to look at when I've played with the Expert colour controls in OSX.

Basically my question is. I'm going to start making some graphics for my website and they look different between my 2 monitors so who knows what they'll look like on other peoples monitors.

I've tried the screen on a PC and on that it looks blindingly bright next to my older monitor.

Any ideas on what I can do? Would a hardware calibration tool help me at all?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Hello there,

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. It somewhat relates to graphics.

I've just got myself a new monitor, an Acer AL1916W. I know that a cheaper monitor isn't going to give me amazing results but I have an older style of the same monitor and they are a world apart.

The new monitor on my Mac has a really noticable blue hue to it. Its still not great to look at when I've played with the Expert colour controls in OSX.

Basically my question is. I'm going to start making some graphics for my website and they look different between my 2 monitors so who knows what they'll look like on other peoples monitors.

I've tried the screen on a PC and on that it looks blindingly bright next to my older monitor.

Any ideas on what I can do? Would a hardware calibration tool help me at all?

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

You could try Supercal to calibrate and create colour profiles.

Coolcatfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks,

Do you think we're talking about a calibration problem here or just hardware limitations?

I find it hard to believe how two monitors with the same number can be so different but there we go.

Do hardware calibrators do a better job than software in your experience?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
You could try Supercal to calibrate and create colour profiles.

Ooooohh, very nice! This would have been handy last week before I printed my assignment with purple instead of blue. I did the adjustments and sure enough, it looks more purple on the screen now where it was blue before. Well, maybe not purple, but more of a periwinkle. Thanks for pointing that out to us!

Coolcatfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Yes! They perform the same every day, but human eye does not; it adapts to environment very fast so we "think" we see everything the same all the time, but in reality we don't.

Righto,

So do you think if I got a Huey or something it could sort out a washed out, blue looking screen? I assume thats exactly what it does.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Righto,

So do you think if I got a Huey or something it could sort out a washed out, blue looking screen? I assume thats exactly what it does.

It should do as long as it isn't a fault with the screen, although I think personally I would pay a little more than a huey if its for anything more than personal messing around type work.

The spyder range is in my opinion fairly well priced (and the spyder 2 is reduced now due to spyder 3) and performs a lot better than the huey would (in my opinion)

Coolcatfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
It should do as long as it isn't a fault with the screen, although I think personally I would pay a little more than a huey if its for anything more than personal messing around type work.

The spyder range is in my opinion fairly well priced (and the spyder 2 is reduced now due to spyder 3) and performs a lot better than the huey would (in my opinion)

Please check your pms LeviG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.