PDA

View Full Version : cricket sound on HD!!!!!!... and problems!

bluedoggiant
Dec 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
please scroll down to post #8, i have all the details there!!!!

Techguy172
Dec 10, 2007, 10:54 AM
This could be your Hard Drive going bad Better send it out to apple.

bluedoggiant
Dec 10, 2007, 11:20 AM
This could be your Hard Drive going bad Better send it out to apple.

its new too! just a little under a month old

bluedoggiant
Dec 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
how bad is this?? really bad? can i live with it? what does that cricket sound do to the HD? and can i bring it to the apple store and they'll change the HD and put everything on the new one too?

bluedoggiant
Dec 10, 2007, 03:28 PM
when i bought my imac online, i auto enrolled with apple care, i found out about techtool deluxe, if i run that, will it tell me my problem, and if i need to bring it in?

xlii
Dec 10, 2007, 03:35 PM
Sounds like the HD could be going bad. Have you backed up your data? Do it now. Don't wait until the disk goes bad and then lamant the loss of your data. If the data is backed up you could give apple a call or take it in to a store. Depends on how loud it is but the fact that it still works will count against apple fixing it.

Another point about this being a new machine. Hardware has a burn in period. The most failures occure when the machines are new. After a few hundred hours of up time your machine is likely to run error free for a long long time. Take it from an old mainframe guy.

iMan G5
Dec 10, 2007, 06:23 PM
FYI, my iMac G5 has "Cricketed" and the HD hasn't died yet. Still squeaks sometimes if I turn of the music.

bluedoggiant
Dec 10, 2007, 06:33 PM
Sounds like the HD could be going bad. Have you backed up your data? Do it now. Don't wait until the disk goes bad and then lamant the loss of your data. If the data is backed up you could give apple a call or take it in to a store. Depends on how loud it is but the fact that it still works will count against apple fixing it.

Another point about this being a new machine. Hardware has a burn in period. The most failures occure when the machines are new. After a few hundred hours of up time your machine is likely to run error free for a long long time. Take it from an old mainframe guy.

like your saying i should ignore it and it will go away? i have had a couple freezes in the past week, 4, im VERY worried, didnt back up yet. if i open a folder in finder, its like .8 of a second too slow. it makes the sound wen i turn it on, or doing anything intensive. and is happening like it did on my pc, my pc always made that sound, always, there were just 3 second breaks in between each 9 second cricket sound session, it still works, but i found out this is bad, i have apple care, download techtool deluxe, didnt install it yet, if i do the system check and everything, will it tell me whats wrong and the priority of the issue? how about disk utility? is there a difference between that and techtool? and i think i may need a maintenance program to keep things running smoothly, does techtool take care of that? im very worried, dont know what to do, its not as loud as my PC, my PC was in a tower chamber built into my desk, the sounds were VERY loud, but no problems, the HD here, makes a lower volume sound, not as often as the PC, but almost. again, a couple freezes, usually happens wenever i enter a password anywhere!!! yahoo, google, system, program, anywhere, maybe wen i press TAB to go from username and password, it locks up, maybe a bug! i have had a macbook pro for a year, awesome, no crickets, ever since this baby, i feel like my macbook pro is a slug (2.8 here, 2.16 there), my new macbook, nothing wrong (2.2), so again, if you know an answer, please help me out, im relatively new to the mac community, i know about PC spyware, viruses, i know macs dont have that, but i do know, please tell me if im wrong, they can act funny