PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch in Car

ErikCLDR
Dec 10, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone use their iPod Touch in their car? I have a belkin FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and the dock connector of the iPod.

My question: Is there a hack to turn off the auto cover flow? Every time I take a turn it makes the iPod go into cover flow mode and then I have I no controls...

It's very annoying. In the mean time I am using my iPod Nano until this problem is solved.

Stang68
Dec 10, 2007, 06:23 PM
As of right now, I dont think there is anything you can about that. I'm not even using my touch in the car, Im just using my nano. I would never leave the touch in there because well, you never know. Also, its easier to change songs without looking on the nano. I suggest you do the same.

TimJim
Dec 10, 2007, 06:28 PM
There might be a command to turn off motion sensor.

WILLDOGS
Dec 10, 2007, 08:20 PM
You must be turning at a pretty high rate of speed.
I use my touch in my car mounted to the dash vertically in a suction cup holder and i've never had this problem.

tominated
Dec 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
maybe try a couple of foam wedges in a cup-holder to hold it vertical. if not that, get what WILLDOGS said

ErikCLDR
Dec 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
You must be turning at a pretty high rate of speed.
I use my touch in my car mounted to the dash vertically in a suction cup holder and i've never had this problem.

What dash mount are you using? Link?

I am going to see if I turn off synchronization of album art if it will turn off cover flow... It would be a temporary solution. I am looking at RAM-MOUNT's for the iPhone. Anyone know if these will work: http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/iphone_mount_ipod_mounts.htm#ramb174ap3

I guess the question is how similarly sized are the iPhones and iPod Touches?

I'm never really turning very fast, but my iPod is sensitive enough. Additionally, in some of our cars there is nowhere to put it really so that it is perfectly flat. My Land Rover had tons of body roll around corners which probably didn't help. I am now driving my sisters 01 Grand Cherokee which still has a bit of body roll. If I buy a car I am looking at, it has hydraulic swaybars to reduce body roll haha so that will help.

I think a mount will definitely help my problem a little.

Vigilante
Dec 11, 2007, 08:18 PM
There was a long thread about this just about a month ago... Minus the coverflow, though. Change the name! :p
I wish there was a way to turn off the accelerometer or at least the "side" menus.

jeremyking
Sep 1, 2009, 07:15 PM
I realize this is a pretty old thread and this reply will be considered self advertising but I just made an iphone application that makes it a lot easier to use your ipod touch and iphone in the car. Like Stang68 mentioned "its easier to change songs without looking".

Anyway, it's an application that lets you use simple gestures to control your music. It's called SideSwipe (http://sideswipe.jeremywking.com/).

I hope this helps even though it looks to be a few years to late :)