Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Here's the situation, I just moved into a corporate apartment with Internet access. When I booted up my MBP, my airport wanted to connect to an open access point. I used this access point because it seemed like it may have been part of the apt service. I left my apt for two hours and my wife used safari to look up some airline info. When I got back, I noticed two windows open on my desktop, one with my account library files and another with a window titled something like "files and extensions." The most obvious concern I noticed was that the name of my mac hardrive icon went from Macintosh HD to "/.../" I changed it back to Macintosh Hd, but I am now worried someone has access to my MBP and could possibly key log me or access my system again. My wife swears that she did not accidentally open or change anything and my 2 year old was in the other room. Should I be worried? My system runs fine, and I will install my Apple Extreme N router, but should I do anything else, like doing a clean install of Leopard? Please advise! Thanks!

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Why would anybody want to hack into your computer? If SOMEBODY is trying to hack your computer, he is most likely using a Windows computer. Windows does not mix with OS X. If anything, turn your firewall on. If it happens again, I would be worried.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Thanks!

:)Okay, I think you are all correct! I had my firewall turned on at the time this happened. I think the only reason I thought I may have been hacked is that I inadvertently connected to someone's open access point and thought he was not happy about it. Once I figured this wasn't a free access point, I was able to connect to the cable modem today through my Apple Extreme N router. I think everything is good now... no screens popping up or anything weird. Thanks for your quick responses!;)

wildwobby

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2007
Why would anybody want to hack into your computer? If SOMEBODY is trying to hack your computer, he is most likely using a Windows computer. Windows does not mix with OS X. If anything, turn your firewall on. If it happens again, I would be worried.

WTF are you talking about?

IF (Which is very doubtful), he got hacked it, it was more than likely from a Linux or another MAC. Windows is just a piece of **** operating system. And most hackers prefer to use the more adjustable Linux/Unix.

It highly unlikely you got hacked. Just make sure your root/administrator password is secure, and don't turn on services you don't need (SSH, Apache, VNC, etc...) and it makes it nearly impossible to be hacked unless you hack yourself.

Also, if you did get hacked, you wouldn't usually be able to tell by your desktop changing. Hackers mess with system files and such, not opening windows on your desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.