Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
After weighing all my options, the Macbook Pro seems to be the best option for me. Yet, I am in an unknown territory with macs and their setups and there was no Apple person at Best Buy when I was looking at it today. So...

My Question is:

If I wanted to hook up an external monitor and keyboard and mouse to the MBP (15") to use in my office sort of like a desktop, How many cables/hookups are required?

-----
Being a PC user, I know I need a hook up for the monitor (1), a hookup for the mouse (2), and a hookup for the keyboard (3). However, it seems that the MBP only has 2 USB slots so I wouldn't be able to hook up a printer.

Am I missing something?

Also, can the MBP be closed when using it docked?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Mouse plugs into keyboard, keyboard plugs into Mac. Display plugs into Mac and power supply too.

Connect these devices, close MBP which then sleeps, hit any key on keyboard and MBP wakes up and uses external display. Simple and what I'm typing on now. :)

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
Mouse plugs into keyboard

Ah ha! That is what I was missing! I wonder why they don't use that for PC's?

Ok, so after you hit any key on the keyboard, do you have to adjust the resolution settings or does it automatically detect them?

Say, I have a 24" monitor.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I wonder why they don't use that for PC's?

Because that would be too simple. ;)

... after you hit any key on the keyboard, do you have to adjust the resolution settings or does it automatically detect them

It automatically detects it and what's more, it will set a different desktop pattern for that display from the laptop display if you choose one for it, and it will remember it as well if you ever take the MBP on a trip and reconnect it later.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
It automatically detects it and what's more, it will set a different desktop pattern for that display from the laptop display if you choose one for it, and it will remember it as well if you ever take the MBP on a trip and reconnect it later.

Wow, that is great. I don't know what took me so long to switch over...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.