PDA

View Full Version : Bungie says "no plans for Mac"

MacBytes
Dec 11, 2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Games
Link: Bungie says "no plans for Mac" (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071211095137)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

yoman
Dec 11, 2007, 09:35 AM
Maybe in 5 years.....

guitarman777
Dec 11, 2007, 09:50 AM
That's a shame, considering they did release at least the first Halo for the Mac... and that one's still priced like a brand new game to boot. Revolutionary game of course, but new-release pricing on a game that was released almost 7 years ago... Sheesh.

notnek
Dec 11, 2007, 09:59 AM
oh well.

i'm glad they're focusing on one system. and the one system that has the most possibilities.

tk421
Dec 11, 2007, 10:36 AM
Too bad, considering Bungie was pretty much a Mac-only company for about a decade.

oh well.

i'm glad they're focusing on one system. and the one system that has the most possibilities.

:confused: The system with the most possibilities? That's debatable, to say the least. PC, Wii, maybe even PS3 or DS...

plumbingandtech
Dec 11, 2007, 10:36 AM
muhahha...

Just don't forget, Bungee are all about the dollars.

That's fine for them, just keep that in mind mac folks. They don't give a rat's behind about you.

Lone Deranger
Dec 11, 2007, 10:44 AM
Smells like MicroSoft involvement...

IEatApples
Dec 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
:confused: That's debatable, to say the least. PC, Wii, maybe even PS3 or DS...
Read the LINK (http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19896) carefully! ;)

EDIT: … never mind then :p … but someone should change the misleading name on this thread! Bungie didn't really mention anything specifically about the Mac. What they said was that they would only focus on the Xbox360 for now! (= No PC, Wii, PS3, or Mac…) :(

psychofreak
Dec 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
Damn! Not that I game, but its a big thing holding my friends from switching...

BenRoethig
Dec 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
Too bad, considering Bungie was pretty much a Mac-only company for about a decade.

And then Jobs came back and decided that anything he didn't do personally shouldn't be on the Mac. Once again his arrogance gave something that was rightfully ours right to Microsoft.

twoodcc
Dec 11, 2007, 01:17 PM
doesn't really say anything about Mac at all.

mjstew33
Dec 11, 2007, 01:25 PM
In a way, it does. "No other platforms" means they have no plans for the Mac platform. However, the thread is misleading when it says "Bungies says "no plans for Mac"."

imagineer2000
Dec 11, 2007, 02:39 PM
Bungie says "no plans for Mac"...

...I have no plans for Bungie.

:apple::apple::apple:!

tk421
Dec 11, 2007, 03:09 PM
Read the LINK (http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19896) carefully! ;)

I was responding to "the one system that has the most possibilities." (read my post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4603945#post4604067) carefully ;))

Jetson
Dec 11, 2007, 03:29 PM
I was looking through my game folder and tossed out all the "Classic" system games that won't run on OS X.

That brought back some fond memories of many hours spent playing arcade games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Patriot Command, Swoop (Galaxians), Warbirds, Spectre Challenger, Delirium, Peg Leg II, Cyclone II, etc.

Where are all the decent Mac games? You can't even find any great shareware games worth playing. Seems that the inspiration is gone.

Sweetbike40
Dec 11, 2007, 03:52 PM
I was looking through my game folder and tossed out all the "Classic" system games that won't run on OS X.

That brought back some fond memories of many hours spent playing arcade games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Patriot Command, Swoop (Galaxians), Warbirds, Spectre Challenger, Delirium, Peg Leg II, Cyclone II, etc.

Where are all the decent Mac games? You can't even find any great shareware games worth playing. Seems that the inspiration is gone.

Since you brought up those old games i can't help but mention Apeiron by Ambrosia Software. It's like the 80's arcade Centipede but a thousand times better. I agree that most games out there are not worthy but this one really is.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Dec 11, 2007, 03:59 PM
I'll care when Bungie creates something that interests me :rolleyes:

Just because they make a ton of money off of college kids doesn't mean their games are the least bit interesting. So far, they're a one series wonder.

SPUY767
Dec 11, 2007, 05:16 PM
halo 3 is trash. 1 was far better, multi, and single player. Everything that MS did with that franchise was a carefully calculated cash grab, nothing more.

psychofreak
Dec 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
halo 3 is trash. 1 was far better, multi, and single player. Everything that MS did with that franchise was a carefully calculated cash grab, nothing more.

Halo 2 was insane...the single player has never been good IMO, but the online play was incredible...Halo 3 is pretty damn good in that respect :)

Rodimus Prime
Dec 11, 2007, 06:15 PM
I am not surprise. Jobs as made it crystal clear that he does not care about games. He has made it difficult and not worth it to make games for the macs.

First it is only the power macs that are even able to have a descent graphic card compared to PC where you can get one for 1/2 that cost with a descent graphic card.
Also do not forget the small market share makes it not worth as much.

Mix those and a few other factors it shows why.

psychofreak
Dec 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
I am not surprise. Jobs as made it crystal clear that he does not care about games.There was hope for the platform when, at WWDC, the EA guy came on stage...

7on
Dec 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
I am not surprise. Jobs as made it crystal clear that he does not care about games. He has made it difficult and not worth it to make games for the macs.

First it is only the power macs that are even able to have a descent graphic card compared to PC where you can get one for 1/2 that cost with a descent graphic card.
Also do not forget the small market share makes it not worth as much.

Mix those and a few other factors it shows why.

That didn't stop Marathon from being released.

psychofreak
Dec 11, 2007, 06:35 PM
That didn't stop Marathon from being released.

First released in 1994, without Jobs in power...

La Porta
Dec 11, 2007, 07:31 PM
Everyone keeps seriously ripping on the Macs about how bad it is as far as games, and how other people "won't convert" because of it. Boot Camp solved all of that. I play plenty of Windows games on my MacBook Pro here, including CoH: OF which is practically brand new. This is on a 1st gen MBP without Core 2 Duo, to boot.

Yeah, maybe I can't get a Mac version of CoH, and maybe games run slower on the Mac side...they pretty much always have. The fact is that it is no longer an issue since we can run Windows on our computers.

dukebound85
Dec 11, 2007, 07:32 PM
Everyone keeps seriously ripping on the Macs about how bad it is as far as games, and how other people "won't convert" because of it. Boot Camp solved all of that. I play plenty of Windows games on my MacBook Pro here, including CoH: OF which is practically brand new. This is on a 1st gen MBP without Core 2 Duo, to boot.

Yeah, maybe I can't get a Mac version of CoH, and maybe games run slower on the Mac side...they pretty much always have. The fact is that it is no longer an issue since we can run Windows on our computers.

which requires a windows license.... not cheap

La Porta
Dec 11, 2007, 07:35 PM
which requires a windows license.... not cheap

If you are going to shell out $1.5-2k for a computer, I think you can work the extra $180 whatever it is for XP.

Either way, its not like I actually run LEGIT Windows on here ;)

Rodimus Prime
Dec 11, 2007, 08:34 PM
If you are going to shell out $1.5-2k for a computer, I think you can work the extra $180 whatever it is for XP.

Either way, its not like I actually run LEGIT Windows on here ;)

wow you are a nice little theif there.

Like the guy you quoted getting a copy of windows is not exactly the cheapest thing to do. An OEM copy of windows I want to say is 120 for XP pro but since this is not going to be used for much XP home is all that is needed. Pro does not offer anything really that extra. If you do not know what those things are then all you need is XP Home. If you do know what those things are then just think about it if you are ever going to need XP pro.

Also Vista Home premium if you go that route is all that is needed.

Earendil
Dec 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'll care when Bungie creates something that interests me :rolleyes:

Just because they make a ton of money off of college kids doesn't mean their games are the least bit interesting. So far, they're a one series wonder.

*cough*

I suppose you are a tiny bit young to remember... that said, my brother is 20 and he surely remembers the good old days of Bungie.
In the last year I've seen Marathon2 played at LAN parties, and Myth I & II can still be played online afaik. Both Marathon and Myth were amazing. The Halo franchise suffers compared to my favorite games for one reason, it's on the xBox and not computer. Yes, I play Halo on consoles, but it's near impossible to have the same community, mod and fan, that a computer game has. That said Halo is still a very solid set of games.

Just because you don't like Halo, don't stick Bungie in some corner room. They were one of the greatest game developers of all time BEFORE Halo, and I think Halo has only improved that resume.

*Correction: Myth 2 can still be played online. I never meant to put Myth 1 up there, though perhaps it can be as well.

TheRuggedLion
Dec 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
Guys, based on my experience, I suggest that you guys just a get a xbox 360. Life has been much simpler ever since. This is coming from someone who has been building gaming rigs for a few years, overclocking, $500 gfx card, and all that crap. I sold my PC and picked one up, came with 2 free games. I spent $350, and now I have a whole library of gorgeous looking games to choose from. No driver bugs, no need to use boot camp anymore, no freezes/lock-ups, and no tedious install and serial key entering. The ONLY problem is the loss of the mouse and keyboard. Still, the playing field is even.

I know I sound like a microsoft sales person, but I'm just a guy who follows the mac method, and wants things to "just work" No headache, no more uninstalling, and installing new drivers, and I can now lay in my couch with a blanket this winter and just game away with no back ache. Sorry for yapping you to death.

GSMiller
Dec 13, 2007, 12:20 PM
Even if Bungie did release their titles on the Mac platform they would be overpriced like all games for the Mac platform are, compared to their Windows counterparts (if they were released for Mac then chances are they would be on Windows too, being Bungie and Microsoft are so "close").