PDA

View Full Version : I use my Cube as a doorstop

DonSL777
Sep 29, 2003, 04:48 PM
About two years ago I went to start up my Cube, and it just wouldn't "stay" turned on for more than a split second. This is extremely difficult to describe in text, but it went "DONGGGGG... blaaaaaaah" to shut down mode again. No dice on getting a solid start using a CD and so on and so on. It feels like a hardware problem.

Anybody else experienced this? Since I have five other Macs here too (2 G4s, a Wallstreet PB, and an iMac), I've never bother to get too worked up over my Cube doorstop. I can't justify the expense of bringing it to be fixed, but I hate to just see it sitting there looking great but completely cold and silent (just like my ex-wife).

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

mnkeybsness
Sep 29, 2003, 05:01 PM
did you try resetting the PMU? i'm not sure where it is on the cube, but i know it should be a little button on the motherboard...or related to that, may need a new internal battery.

beez7777
Sep 29, 2003, 05:10 PM
i'll buy it for 50 bucks. seems like a waste to use it as a doorstop.

hvfsl
Sep 29, 2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
i'll buy it for 50 bucks. seems like a waste to use it as a doorstop.

Its worth at least $300, because you can take the bits out like the HD and G4 chip, and sell separately.

Dont Hurt Me
Sep 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
sounds like a hard drive but ill give you 75 bucks for it.

evoluzione
Sep 29, 2003, 05:34 PM
it could be the power/proximity switch. have you tried powering it up with nothing else close to it that could interfere (either physically or through RF)?

saabmp3
Sep 29, 2003, 05:45 PM
hehe, our own little ebay here. 90 bucks.

BEN

NavyIntel007
Sep 29, 2003, 05:47 PM
I'll give you $300 for it.

dongmin
Sep 29, 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by DonSL777
About two years ago I went to start up my Cube, and it just wouldn't "stay" turned on for more than a split second. This is extremely difficult to describe in text, but it went "DONGGGGG... blaaaaaaah" to shut down mode again. No dice on getting a solid start using a CD and so on and so on. It feels like a hardware problem.

ha ha. nice try, troll.

DonSL777
Sep 29, 2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
ha ha. nice try, troll.

I'm too puzzled to respond. Would you please be so kind as to explain what that means?

As for the other replies, I'll take a look at it again (I know I have the power cord around here somewhere). If I still can't get it to respond, it's up for grabs to whomever feels it's worth what you're willing to spend on it.

applemacdude
Sep 29, 2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
ha ha. nice try, troll.

He/She doesnt sound like a troll to me... Dont be mean