Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gormond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Hey,

I have had my new Mac for almost a month and it's been fine but yesterday I watched a trailer for a movie called "wanted" from here http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=wanted and I opted for the 1080p as I figured my new mac could cope but I found that the playback wasn't all that fluid in quicktime. do you think there could be a problem somewhere?

Gormond

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Same here, it looks like the computer really struggles to play it. But quicktime says it's recorded at 24fps, and it plays at 23-25fps, so I don't think it's dropping frames. Plus, the CPU is only running at 30% used, so it's not running out of power. And I know for a fact that this mac (a 2.8ghz with 4gb ram) plays high quality 1080p footage no problem.

So, I guess there's a problem with the movie file. Odd though that it looks like it's struggling to play - anyone tried it on another machine?

gormond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Same here, it looks like the computer really struggles to play it. But quicktime says it's recorded at 24fps, and it plays at 23-25fps, so I don't think it's dropping frames. Plus, the CPU is only running at 30% used, so it's not running out of power. And I know for a fact that this mac (a 2.8ghz with 4gb ram) plays high quality 1080p footage no problem.

So, I guess there's a problem with the movie file. Odd though that it looks like it's struggling to play - anyone tried it on another machine?

Good to know it's not just my Mac lol, but still strange that it looks jurky. Anyone else tried the file?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
There are spots where it is jerky...if you advance frame by frame from the beginning where he enters the store, you will see that there are duplicate frames....bad encode, not your mac...All 1080P files have been flawless on mine as well.

As for the movie, looks like a Matrix rip-off without any of the intellect.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Wow i really wanna see that movie. Jolie & Freeman means its should be good.

EDIT: Yeah it is jerky

gormond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
Just my luck, the first HD file I try doesn't work properly... I thought the film looked okay, don't think I would pay money to see it though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.