PDA

View Full Version : memory for new 12" powerbook

foureyes
Sep 29, 2003, 06:26 PM
hey. just wondering if anyone knows what the exact specs are for the new 12" powerbook memory.

apple's pdfs say pc2100 ddr sdram. i checked out the memory that crucial had available, and it looked like it was all non-ecc and cl 2.5. lastly, because it's a laptop, i have to get the 200-pin SODIMMs, right? i was hoping hoping hoping that i could grab the 1 gig sticks from newegg, but they're 184-pin DIMMs.

where can i get 1 gig laptop memory? crucial or newegg doesn't have it, and apple is selling it for a ridculous amount of money! $800 for a gig? that's half the cost of the laptop already! anyways, any help would sure be appreciated.

btw, my new 12" should be coming by thurday (well...hopefully... can't wait to get that stupid rebate out)! it's my first mac ever!!

Toeknee
Sep 29, 2003, 06:53 PM
Congrats on the first ever mac... thats all I use, detest windoze. For the memory issue id check with other world computing www.macsales.com ive gotten memory from them before and their prices are cheaper than many places on the net. I just got the 15" PB and im also looking for the 1 gig chip but im deciding to wait for either the price to come down just a wee bit. Or maybe ill just get another 512 stick. But anyways, OWC should have your RAM and they are pretty straight forward on the specs for the ram, check them out. You could also check dealram.com they have some better deals. Check them out first.

foureyes
Sep 29, 2003, 07:55 PM
thanks for the info! 1 gig sticks are difficult to find for notebooks. i checked out OWC. definitely a good resource. i'm debating on whether or not i should just go with the 512 or wait a while. i'm going to be running it w/ the 256 default, and i *know* that's going to be dog slow for osx... so i should get <i>something</i>.

windows gets a pretty bad rap, but xp isn't all that horrible. as with all os's it does some things right, and some thing not so right. i guess there's also the semi-moral issue of supporting a monopoly, but that's a different story all together. in any case, i've been using the macs at my school lab, and i love being able to pop terminal open (i use linux at work and for a server at home... so some things come easier through a cli for me). some things are still rough around the edges... like not being able to undo in a web-form... and not having a scroll wheel (really annoying)... and not having lots of keyboard shortcuts (at least i couldn't find a bunch of them). ...but a lot of things on macs work with very little hassle too (like grabbing pics from my digital camera, detecting who's on the network, etc.) ....anyways, enough of that little rant. thanks again for the sites! i'm pretty excited. i got myself the low-end ipod and a printer as well. not a bad deal at all. now i just have to grap a wireless access point. wooo..