Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtalex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
I have a new 2.6 MBP with Leopard and I decided to try the chess game. It is great until it locks up on me. It gets stuck on "blacks move" and it seems to happen every time I am chasing the King. Sometimes I can save the game, close the program, and open it again then it works. Sometimes it just doesnt have an effect and stays frozen. Is this happening to other people? I found a similar issue by searching on google, but no help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you create a new user account, does it still crash there? If it doesn't then find a file named com.apple.Chess.plist in the Preferences folder on the original user account, and drag it to the Desktop whilst Chess is closed.

oligore

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
It's happening to me too. Whenever I force a black piece into a place where it cannot do anything to stop itself get taken, it seems to freeze. The program it self does not freeze just the AI, I can still get move hints, start a new game etc. It has happened multiple times on different difficulties.
Maybe Chess has gained self awareness and doesn't want to loose :D

BTW Im running 10.5.1

rtalex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
It's happening to me too. Whenever I force a black piece into a place where it cannot do anything to stop itself get taken, it seems to freeze. The program it self does not freeze just the AI, I can still get move hints, start a new game etc. It has happened multiple times on different difficulties.
Maybe Chess has gained self awareness and doesn't want to loose :D

BTW Im running 10.5.1

This is exactly what is happening to me and it is very frustrating.

rtalex

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
i was really enjoying playing chess too, i got the idea from my coworker next to me who is always playing it on his Toshiba with Vista....his never freezes...i really hope a fix for this comes out.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
thats the improvement of leopard: a emotional OS. if its losing, it will throw a fit and freeze. it shows us humans just cause we pay for it, doesnt mean we own it.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I think it must be because of the new SR platform. It's hardly enough to power the demanding software of Chess. Apple should have thought of this.

10.5.2 = deleting Chess and installing Checkers.

- "So are you happy with your 2000 $ laptop? Do you feel that your usage needs are satisfied?"
- "No, Chess freezes."
- "Wha?"

JSpence

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
Orlando, FL
lol Same here! I have played about 20 matches, because about half have frozen on me. But I like chess on my MacBook =]

Joinmycult

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Aaaaawww yeah

Turn off "Allow Player to Speak Moves" in "preferences"
Turn off "Speak computer Moves" and "Show Last Move In title" in "preferences"
and the most important of all - This is what really does it - "When you select "new game"
instead of using "human vs. computer" use "computer vs. human."
You don't get to go first but at least you get to finish a game. Now get back in there, stop cursing at your screen and show Mac who's boss!

mobius32

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2008
Freezing Chess

okay, my imac's (3 months old) chess program freezes. the fix suggested by one of the earlier posts did nothing. it's kind of funny in a way b/c it always freezes when i'm puttin' a hurtin' on it :D but it is rather annoying and makes me not want to even bother. anyone have any other suggestions on a fix?

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
This is ridiculous. I'm on 10.5.4 with my 24" iMac and it still does this. I'll try the workaround posted above.

jdikman

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
Better Solution to Chess Freezing

All you have to do to unfreeze is 4 very quick steps, none of which requires rebooting or adjusting the level of difficulty: (1) under "game" menu click "save game"; (2) under "apple" icon, click "force quit" and then choose to force quit "chess"; (3) reopen chess by clicking the chess icon; and (4) when a new game appears on the screen, just click on the "game" menu, then choose "open" game, selecting the "saved" game. Your old game which has been saved will then open and immediately make the next move. Temporarily moving the difficulty level to fastest and rebooting also works but this method does not require rebooting or adjusting the difficulty level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.