Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirCrumpet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
So, I just got an email from Apple asking me to participate in an Apple iPod touch customer survey.

Some questions were rather interesting, such as " Thinking back to when you were shopping for your iPod touch, did you seriously consider the 8GB configuration?". Is apple seriously considering dropping support for the 8GB touch?

Vigilante

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2007
Florida.
It has such a small space for music, let alone videos and modded configurations. Hell, I remember going in on the release week trying to buy a 16GB model-- and all they had left were a dozen 8GBs.

isshou

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Was there in the survey the word iPhone or any of its "exclusive" app / functionalities mentioned ?

Reading between lines, the real question is: Do you see the 8GB tag in a multimedia device as a reason to hold you back in acquiring it?

They will eventually drop the 8GB iPT, that is normal, but don't forget the real innovation in Apple business strategy is the share they get for your monthly iPhone bill. ;)

(Even Nokia wants to join this business model, therefore new Nokia's and greatest Apple iPhone will be coming soon)

SirCrumpet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
No specific mention of the iPhone apps but it did have a broad "open" textbox question asking what apps you would most like to see on the touch, which is looking almost hopeful that Februarys sdk will be as featured as we hope :)

ScottFitz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2007
The 8gb version gave them the lower price point. All the ads that say "From $299". Makes the idea more palatable. Then we all come in and drop $399 for the better storage version. They win. When the 32gb version comes out eventually, whatever 8gb units are left will get discounted heavily and then the 16 will probably drop to 299.

Early adopters pay the price but get to have all the fun to themselves initially!

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
i actually wish i had gone for 8gb model. honestly, i never listen to more than a few gb in weeks as i listen over and over to similar albums and 3gb or so would spare me many many albums that are ripped around 200kbps. other than that, i hardly ever watch tv shows with it, perhaps only if on an airplane. i basiclaly spent 100$ extra dollars for a feeling of security that i do not need and most likely will never. my 512 shuffle is still far more than i need on a day to day basis or even a weekly basis. silly me

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The beauty of the Touch though, is that you are no longer limited to filling up that 16GB with just music. I carry around a ton of photos (travel, family stuff, etc) that I don't normally browse through strictly because I don't always want to poke through them on a laptop or with a web browser) and the Touch makes going through them a lot of fun (almost like you are flipping through a stack of photos one by one...).

i actually wish i had gone for 8gb model. honestly, i never listen to more than a few gb in weeks as i listen over and over to similar albums and 3gb or so would spare me many many albums that are ripped around 200kbps. other than that, i hardly ever watch tv shows with it, perhaps only if on an airplane. i basiclaly spent 100$ extra dollars for a feeling of security that i do not need and most likely will never. my 512 shuffle is still far more than i need on a day to day basis or even a weekly basis. silly me

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
yes your are true there, but i just find for my uses, i should have gone for the cheaper version. we all know that prices will fall and space will rise. going for the cheaper version in the short run saves money that can eventually go to an upgrade years down the line when 8gb seems a small amount.

for some reason, my main interest with touch is having the wonderful environment of trance lulling me to a harder study. i can take notes, browse internet if i have to read. i suppose i could try to show off some photos, but... haha, who wants to sit through my slide show?

i should have gone cheaper route.

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007

Wanna trade? :D

Impulse29

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2004
When doing the survey, didn't you get the hint that Apple wanted to know how much you actually wanted to get the device that you ended up purchasing? You told them that you bought the 16GB model, so they asked you if you seriously considered any other brands, any other iPod models, or the 8GB version. I know because I told them that I bought the 8GB, and the survey asked me if I seriously considered the 16GB model. You can't make a statement like "Apple is dropping the 8GB" from that!

I was hoping to get a coupon for the apple store for completing the survey, but it just abruptly ended. It's probably delayed due to the increased amounts of emails sent because of the holiday season....right....?! haha. But seriously, no 'thank you for filling out the survey, here's $20 off your next purchase of $100 or more"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.