PDA

View Full Version : Moving library from Mac to PC

paperinacup
Dec 11, 2007, 10:33 PM
I have been trying this for DAYS and have looked everywhere possible for a solution. Problem is I have a PC that I also want my library (18GB) on.

I have transferred everything over and played with the itl and xml files over and over. iTunes has about half the songs with no song info whatsoever. I can get all the songs into my iTunes library but its like they have been stripped of all ID3 tags. My library is mp3 and m4a mixed.

Anyone have any clues? I've also tried importing into WMP11 and winamp with the same issue. Is my library data corrupt or something?

mad jew
Dec 12, 2007, 02:02 AM
On your Mac, has the iTunes library been left at its default location with the iTunes app set to manage the files?

tony998
Dec 12, 2007, 08:14 AM
On my windows, there is a iTunes Music Library.xml file in c:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\My Music\iTunes, I believe there's such a file on your mac. You can try to copy this file and import to your iTunes on windows.

sWaltuo
Dec 12, 2007, 09:43 AM
there is a great toturial on how to move you library from an internal hard drive to an external hard drive on ilounge.com! I would reckon that moving it from one internal to another internal would be pretty similar?

paperinacup
Dec 12, 2007, 02:19 PM
On your Mac, has the iTunes library been left at its default location with the iTunes app set to manage the files?

Yup everything is default and iTunes manages everything.

also iv tried copying the xml and itl files and even editing them as some tutorials suggested but same result. 50% of the songs apear as the song name 01 song name 02 song name etc.

Eraserhead
Dec 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hmm... Can you use your iPod and SharePod (http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=SharePod) or something?

EDIT Back in the day when moving from PC to Mac, I had to edit the XML, I suggest adding a couple of songs on your PC to get the format. Then you import the library onto iTunes on your PC by going to File==>Import Library.

Consultant
Dec 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
Move your iTunes folder containing Music, iTunes Music Library.xml, iTunes Library to your user account/ music / iTunes, replacing the empty folder.

Then open iTunes. You may have to point the library location, but it should work.

mad jew
Dec 13, 2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah, Consultant's method really should work. Editing XML files isn't necessary. Is this what you did, paperinacup?