Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chico1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
My wife and I are looking to start a website for our at home business. It has been a while since I have done a web site . I start with learning HTML , but so many seem drop and drag now. Any recs for programs.

macsig

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Marina del Rey, CA
DreamWeaver is the top, nothing is more professional.
But if you are looking for a cheapest software (DW costs $400), easy to use and that guarantee a good-looking website even without knowing HTML I suggest you RapidWeaver

Photomax

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle
Do you want to build websites in general or do you want to establish a single professional website for your business?

You could use a generic template site generation tool but you could end up with a generic looking site that looks like it was built with a template tool.

You could spend $400 on Dreamweaver and spend countless hours learning all the menus and doing the tutorials etc. But if you have little design sensibilities, lack image editing tools/expereince or know little about typography and color theory you might still flounder.

The best approach is to learn XHTML and CSS from the ground up, but...

As you are starting a new business do you have time for all this? There is so much to do at this time. So, what's your time worth? For most time is money. If you have lots of time and no money then you are going to have to figure out a way to get this done on your own.

Ultimately the best solution may be to hire a professional designer. Your website may be the critical first impression for your new business. Depending on your needs you should be able to find a REAL designer in the $1000 - $10,000 range. How many years will this site serve you? Break down the cost over those years. Figure in the tax deduction the design fee brings as well. If you look at this carefully then this might be the best option.

Of course each situation is different and your mileage may vary...

chico1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
DreamWeaver is the top, nothing is more professional.
But if you are looking for a cheapest software (DW costs $400), easy to use and that guarantee a good-looking website even without knowing HTML I suggest you RapidWeaver

I checked out rapid weaver, How custom can you have the pages( Logos' images etc.. I played with the download a little, it seems the demo limits the ability to make custom designs, only templates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.