Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is likely to introduce two (one minor, one major) iPhone revisions along with a major Apple TV update in 2008 according to Goldman Sachs analysts.

These conclusions are based on meetings with "key component suppliers and manufacturers" in Asia.

The two iPhone revisions are predicted to be
- Increase in Flash storage (minor update, earlier in the year)
- 2nd Generation iPhone with 3G and could have a different look (major update, second half of year)

Meanwhile, the Apple TV is expected to see changes in 2008 that "could include an LCD display". Other notes include scarce information about the long rumored sub-notebook from Apple with the possibility it may be delayed due to design issues.

Analyst reports have typically been very inconsistent with the accuracy of their predictions, though we have not heard much from David Bailey of Goldman Sachs before.

Article Link

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
More storage is always good think but Im not even using 50% of my 8Gigs now. I wonder what "change form factor" will look like :cool: This one is really nice and elegant. Cant wait where are we going from here

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Doesn't sound like a good article. Apple TV with an LCD display? I don't think so, thats the last thing it needs. iPhone major update later next year... big news, everyone says 3G iPhone is coming out next year. Delayed subnotebook? I hope thats wrong, Apple hopefully will announce something at Macworld.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I predict a 16gig by march (duh)

Followed by a chorus of "But I can't hold my 40,000 songs (cause I listen to all of them when I drive to the store:rolleyes: ) so there for I am going to wait for the next one...the next one.... the next one..."

mkubal

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tampa
The greatest upgrade the :apple:TV could get wouldn't even be an upgrade to the :apple:TV itself. Instead it would be HD content on the iTunes video store.

I would buy one on the very day they announced this.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
The greatest upgrade the :apple:TV could get wouldn't even be an upgrade to the :apple:TV itself. Instead it would be HD content on the iTunes video store.

I would buy one on the very day they announced this.

I'm kinda hoping, now that NBC/Universal are being just jerks, that apple buys TiVo and puts it into a new Apple TV.

Don't wanna sell us content?

Fine. We will let people legally record it from your tv channels.

-M7-

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
People who say "LCD Display" freak me out...

Liquid Crystal Display Display?

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
possible AppleTV scenario ...

Doesn't sound like a good article. Apple TV with an LCD display? I don't think so, thats the last thing it needs. ...
This might make sense if you look at the LCD screen as being the new "remote" for the AppleTV and as a separate tablet from the main unit.

If the new "tablet Mac" is really just a glorified iPhone or iPod touch for the living room, then it makes sense that this is the unit you would have in your lap when browsing the iTunes store or managing your media on the Apple TV perhaps. It could also be used as the family book reader, library, web browser, house phone etc.

Possible anyway. :)

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
Yeah, I don't know how accurate these analysts are. iPhone updates seem like common sense. Apple TV needs an update, but I highly doubt an LCD is the update.

Like "ATM machine" or "PIN number". :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Why would anyone buy an :apple:TV with a display? It's for people who already have a display.

It would be like buying a Mini with one...

As far as :apple:TV, I would like to see:

An 8Gig flash unit mainly for streaming - $199
An 80Gig unit: $249
The 160Gig unit: $349

People that use just to stream would only need it for downloading content for rentals, or to purchase then transfer to their iTunes computers...

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
It gets me every year how these analysts make these "sweeping" predictions near MacWorld and I think they REALLY expect us to get on our knees and worship them as gods for their "insight".

I don't have any inside tips but I can give it a whirl:
In 2008 there will be updates for all the lines of Apple products.

crackermac

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I would think this apple tv with the display is maybe something small for previewing or doing some small configuration. I prefer the BYOTV model so you can hook it up to any size TV. Wouldn't it' just be another laptop or portable DVD player if it had a screen?

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
Display on the ATV? Stupid. It's hooked up to a damn real TV. All I want is 1) Search, 2) when I scroll through artists have it pop a display showing the letter of the artists like on ipods, 3) can we say fireplace screen-saver???

Those three things would make me a happy ATV user. Further I don't want to buy a new one to get simple features. Come on Apple!

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada

Yeah, me too.

Like ATM Machine......Automated Teller Machine Machine - aaargh!

People, use the acronym as a noun and everything will be fine.

Anyway - 16 gig iPhone at Macworld 2008 is a no brainer.
March? Way too late.

Possibly 16 gig and 32 gig? I mean this is an iPod with a phone attached - why not have 32?

Increased ability to read and store and edit documents - you'll need 16 at least.

A small computer needs about 60 gb of storage minimum - and the iPhone is a small computer.

Goldman Sachs is right, a small upgrade (memory capacity) and a BIG upgrade - new functions, design change etc.

ccunning

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
No!

I'm kinda hoping, now that NBC/Universal are being just jerks, that apple buys TiVo and puts it into a new Apple TV.

This does *not* help me with my goal of discontinuing my cable service.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
So what are we supposed to get from the LCD remark?

Is Apple entering the flat-screen TV business? Or do they just mean a little LCD panel on the device with menu options...?

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Yeah, me too.

Like ATM Machine......Automated Teller Machine Machine - aaargh!

People, use the acronym as a noun and everything will be fine.

Anyway - 16 gig iPhone at Macworld 2008 is a no brainer.
March? Way too late.

Society has added the 'Number' to PIN for clarity, as it has entered common use around the world the same way LCD display has. People just want to understand what it is without understanding the technical bit behind it - ie Liquid Crystal Display. I see nothing wrong with that!

I agree with the 16GB iPhone by February.

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
An :apple:TV w/ a LCD display? Ridiculous!

Content, content, content which encompasses quality and price is what is going to make :apple:TV sell. Anything else is just uncivilized.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
If that Apple TV 'LCD' display is between 40 and 50" then Apple just won another $2000 of my custom!

+Plus I hope a whole lot of nice Apple-esque features inc at the very least a DVR

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Display with :apple:TV is just stupid. Why would you put a hardware that need to be upgrade in 2 years on a hardware that people tend to keep for several years?
Doesn't make sense. Unles is a swapable :apple:TV card, why would you buy a killer HDTV and in couple years :apple:TV upgrades for a coller thing and then, here we go, You have a killer HDTV with an obsolete :apple:TV.

Unless is a mediocre LCD display that then you can upgrade it without breaking the bank. It doesn't make sense.

I rather see :apple:TV 2.0 with an larger drive, direct connection to iTunes store, movie and tv rentals, 1080p, 5.1 audio and (wishful thinking) DVR.

DVR won't happen, but the rest seems more interesting than a LCD with :apple:TV on it.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas

Fine. We will let people legally record it from your tv channels, edit out commercials and transfer the video throughout their home for viewing on any TV or device DRM free.

That would be a kick in the nuts, though they run the risk of alienating the rest of their TV partners.

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
I predict a 16gig by march (duh)

Followed by a chorus of "But I can't hold my 40,000 songs (cause I listen to all of them when I drive to the store:rolleyes: ) so there for I am going to wait for the next one...the next one.... the next one..."

One of the main concept of Ipod is "sync" You can without doing anything ells but connecting it to the computer have all you music transfered to your Ipod.

Having to be forced to chose what song you want to transfer to the ipod is an hassle you want to avoid if possible.

32GB should be enough for most people. If you have more than that you most likely don't listen to most of it. But with a number of video podcasts even 32GB is likely to be to little for many people. 64GB would be nice, to bad Apple don't have replaceable memory.

Maybe streaming is an solution if you only store the first 10sec of etch song on the Ipod then you would be able to stream from home on most internet connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.