PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Developing GPS Module for iPhone?

MacRumors
Dec 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Engadget posts (http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/tomtom-developing-iphone-gps-module/) a photo claiming to be an upcoming TomTom GPS module for the iPhone.

The poor quality image (http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/12/tomtom.jpg) depicts a small add-on device which plugs into the bottom of the iPhone. Meanwhile, the screen shows a typical GPS view.

The validity of the photo itself is difficult to assess, however, its been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/26/iphone-sdk-already-seeded-to-some-developers/) that select developers may already have access to Apple's upcoming SDK. It's conceivable that Apple has selected key hardware manufacturers to ready new iPhone accessories.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/12/tomtom-developing-gps-module-for-iphone/)

tkidBOSTON
Dec 12, 2007, 11:44 AM
Love the idea.

I'm taking "GPS" of my xmas list until after the new year. :)

veneficuss
Dec 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
I was really hoping that Apple would partner up with Garmin because both are US companies and Garmin is the originator in GPS Navigation, but I believe Garmin is in contract with that Helio device. I don't know if that contract means they cannot develop for another product.

ShadowHunter
Dec 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
Looks fake to me. It looks kinda like the device plugged into the bottom is really just under the iPhone and sticking out some. The lower half of the phone looks slightly raised compared to the upper half to me.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

afd
Dec 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
Would not be surprised, although they could just use bluetooth like the kit they use for Palm, Symbian and Windows mobile.
Also I recall mention of RouteBuddy wishing to produce an iPhone version.
Hope someone makes one, I'd definately buy a GPS system for my iPhone

Yateball
Dec 12, 2007, 11:47 AM
This would be a spectacular add-on to the iphone.

What can't this thing do? Or rather, what isn't this thing capable of in the future?

I WANT IT IN CANADA!

Mudbug
Dec 12, 2007, 11:50 AM
If this actually exists, I see this as only the first of a whole bunch of add-on hardware accessories for the iPhone. It would be ever more full of awesomeness if it works with the iPod touch as well...

kingtj
Dec 12, 2007, 11:53 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to see any new hardware come out that might be of use to people.... But at the same time, I wish someone other than TomTom was building this for the iPhone.

Garmin would be a great choice, but hey - I'd be fine with Magellan, or even Lowrance, or Navigon.

The problem with TomTom is, they don't use Navteq map data on any of their devices. They use a competing supplier of map data, and they're not as accurate or up-to-date as Navteq's maps. (At least for those of us in the United States.)

I was really hoping that Apple would partner up with Garmin because both are US companies and Garmin is the originator in GPS Navigation, but I believe Garmin is in contract with that Helio device. I don't know if that contract means they cannot develop for another product.

operator207
Dec 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
Would not be surprised, although they could just use bluetooth like the kit they use for Palm, Symbian and Windows mobile.

No data can travel on the iPhone's Bluetooth. I wish it could, or that they would enable it. Then I could use my tomtom 910 with my iPhone. Yes, I can use it for phone, but I would really like some traffic updates on it while out and about.

kornyboy
Dec 12, 2007, 11:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

This would be really cool if it is true. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

PharmD
Dec 12, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'd buy it.

ErikAndre
Dec 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
I'd buy it too...

Especially if AT&T lightened up a little on the monthly fees for it.

/dev/toaster
Dec 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
Maybe if someone else was reporting it, I would believe it.

coolbreeze
Dec 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
I can't even hear my speakerphone in the car.

How would I hear spoken directions?

Face it, the iPhone's speaker isn't loud enough. Great concept, though.

dogtanian
Dec 12, 2007, 12:07 PM
I was really hoping that Apple would partner up with Garmin because both are US companies and Garmin is the originator in GPS Navigation

Huh?

I know Garmin is a US company but never heard of anything about them being the 'originator'.

Give me a TomTom anyday! TomTom is becoming the generic word for 'in-car GPS' in the UK. Plus Garmin are hated for the annoying christmas advert they currently have running :p

Anyone checked the photo up close yet?

plumbingandtech
Dec 12, 2007, 12:10 PM
Gimme!!

xfiftyfour
Dec 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
I've been wanting this for months! Hope it's true!

citi
Dec 12, 2007, 12:12 PM
I have never had a problem with Tom Tom Maps - and I haven't updated my nav for 2 years. Tom Tom has been solid for me and they really are one of the top selling units in the US.

ckurowic
Dec 12, 2007, 12:15 PM
Looks fake to me. It looks kinda like the device plugged into the bottom is really just under the iPhone and sticking out some. The lower half of the phone looks slightly raised compared to the upper half to me.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

Well, I don't know if you are not nuts :-p, but yeah it looks that way to me too. Its obviously up under the iPhone, you can tell its not connected to the port on the bottom.

djellison
Dec 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
although they could just use bluetooth

Not with the iPhone in its current state they couldn't

Doug

Object-X
Dec 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
It's a bad idea. GPS navigation is most useful while driving. The iPhone can be a difficult and dangerous device to use in the car (while driving); but in the car is where I use the thing the most. Apple needs to design an in-dash touchscreen device that syncs with your iPhone, but can be operated safely while driving.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed because they were trying to use Google maps or iTunes on their iPhone while driving.

Tazzy531
Dec 12, 2007, 12:21 PM
Could they not also use BlueTooth to communicate with the iPhone? If that's the case, you wouldn't even need to plug in.

Marx55
Dec 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
The GPS is so important that it should be built-in the iPhone; not just as an external add-on module!

MacTheSpoon
I hope this isn't fake - I love the iPhone's gorgeous screen and when I got my Garmin I was sad it wasn't up to the same spec.

gr8ful
If this device is real and if Tom Tom developed this with an advance copy of the SDK from Apple, it might be a good indicator that the next version of the iPhone will not have integrated GPS. Nice feature to have, but not one of the first things I'd want to see added.

jat543
Dec 12, 2007, 12:25 PM

Maybe I'm just nuts.

just playing a little devils advocate... maybe its a sled or cradle like design where then phone just connects to a small little platform and the gps antenna goes up the back of the phone? Although i do admit that it does look like the thing is under the iphone

tjmeijer
Dec 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
tom tom gps navigation on my mobile, great

I would buy it for sure

bigandy
Dec 12, 2007, 12:32 PM
i'd love that. then i can get rid of my other phone - a Windows Mobile device with TomTom :o

Stang68
Dec 12, 2007, 12:32 PM
I think this is great, but do you think it will work in a touch? Even though the touch does not have wifi constantly, especially when you are in a car, the gps is just built in right? Cuz then I would have GPS in my car via my touch! How awesome would that be!?!?

SirOmega
Dec 12, 2007, 12:33 PM
Forget TomTom or Garmin, I want Leica! Since the phone is already internet enabled, I can hook up to the correction server for my city (run by the local govt agencies) and my location would be precise to the foot! It would know when I'm changing lanes!

Squonk
Dec 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
I like this idea a lot. My need for a GPS is just for vacations and trips into the city - I'd be lucky if I used it once a month. So, spending big bucks on a GPS seems like a waste to me. But as a low cost add-on for my phone, that would get my $$$.

Any idea how much something like this would retail for? A previous poster mentioned he had it on another phone or PDA.

Thanks,

JesterJJZ
Dec 12, 2007, 12:38 PM
It's a bad idea. GPS navigation is most useful while driving. The iPhone can be a difficult and dangerous device to use in the car (while driving); but in the car is where I use the thing the most. Apple needs to design an in-dash touchscreen device that syncs with your iPhone, but can be operated safely while driving.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed because they were trying to use Google maps or iTunes on their iPhone while driving.

The more and more I think about it the more dumb the concept of a touchscreen handheld is. I really like the option of operating things without the need for looking at them.

lazyrighteye
Dec 12, 2007, 12:41 PM
I've never used GPS, but this solution looks fun.

I assume this would work with current iPhones. Meaning, one couldn't just install a GPS app on current iPhones (when SDK is public and such an app is developed) and get the same results, right?
The phone needs a specific transmitter in it (or, in this case attached to it) for GPS functionality?

Would a 3G capable iPhone allow for an app-based GPS solution?
Again, no clue about GPS. Obviously. :p

Thanks.

veneficuss
Dec 12, 2007, 12:41 PM
I think it is more likely that Apple is seeking a GPS Navigation partner for their reported in-car systems. They will HAVE to offer GPS navigation in that product, but they do not have the GPS technology.

They should also seek out voice recognition technology to compete with Microsoft's Sync system, which I have to say works flawlessly. I think if Microsoft includes GPS Navigation into their system and is able to get a good display, they would beat out Apple in the car system market. MS is already halfway there and all you would need to do is tell you car where you want to go and never take your hands off the steering wheel. Of course, i love to underestimate Apple that way they can knock my socks off.

sminman
Dec 12, 2007, 12:43 PM
Well I saved the photo to iPhoto and this is what came up under the pic info:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/2106233488_1caafa7386_b.jpg

(look at the software used)

It says it was using Photoshop for the program but maybe that is because Engadget put there watermark on it.

What do you think? Fake?

gnasher729
Dec 12, 2007, 12:44 PM

In reality, you need a windscreen mount for the iPhone, and a simplified user interface for that case. Touchscreen with very limited amount of things you can do, like telling the device about a traffic jam ahead if it is running as a GPS, or ask it for directions to go home, or to work, or skipping a song on iTunes. You don't program a GPS while you are driving.

gnasher729
Dec 12, 2007, 12:50 PM
The poor quality image (http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/12/12/tomtom.jpg) depicts a small add-on device which plugs into the bottom of the iPhone. Meanwhile, the screen shows a typical GPS view.

Since the iPhone can display any image, it can also display images that look like the screen of a TomTom, so this could very easily be a complete fake. Just go to the TomTom website, grab a screen display of a TomTom, put it into iPhoto, and sync to the phone.

justflie
Dec 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
This is certainly an interesting development. I was really looking hard at the Navigon 7100. I'll probably end up picking one up after the new year, but this add-on to the iPhone did give me a bit of pause...

ChrisA
Dec 12, 2007, 01:03 PM
If you want to add a GPS display to an iPhone you do not need to write a native application; All you need is a physical GPS receiver that is colocated with the phone. That GPS receiver could send a text message to a javascript app runningon the phone the text message would contain the current latitude and longitude. GPS is a very low data rate problem. All it needs is a few numbers once a second.

You could even implement this by reading the dispaly of a stand lone GPS and ttyping the location into the iPhone, But users would never want to do that even if it would be fast enough. Bottom line, SDK is not required

Oh-es-Ten
Dec 12, 2007, 01:04 PM
Give me a TomTom anyday! TomTom is becoming the generic word for 'in-car GPS' in the UK. Plus Garmin are hated for the annoying christmas advert they currently have running :p

I agree - in the UK, TomTom is the best and easiest to use of all the GPS Units I have used. Garmin's UI seems clumsy, hard to understand and not that intuitive..

I for one welcome our new TomTom overloads onto planet iPhone.

(I would definitely buy one).

Object-X
Dec 12, 2007, 01:05 PM
In reality, you need a windscreen mount for the iPhone, and a simplified user interface for that case. Touchscreen with very limited amount of things you can do, like telling the device about a traffic jam ahead if it is running as a GPS, or ask it for directions to go home, or to work, or skipping a song on iTunes. You don't program a GPS while you are driving.

I guess what I envision is a double din touchscreen device that runs OS X and integrates with navigation and rear bumper camera. The current devices by Kenwood, Sony, and others have terrible touchscreen interfaces, limited functionality, and very little customization options. Apple could really innovate here using OS X. But you make a good point about touchscreen interfaces being limited. Voice activation in addition to touchscreen actions seems to me to be the answer for the car.

Things most people do while driving:

Change playlist, skip/select songs, ect.
Navigation
Answer/Make calls

All three could be done using voice commands. Everything else could be done the same way it's done on the iPhone, just mounted in your dash. Stick your iPhone in the glove box and sync it with your car. It charges your phone and you have a larger interface to use while in the car.

notjustjay
Dec 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
I want one. I love Google Maps on my iPod Touch and if I could have all this without the need for a live connection (e.g. in-built mapping and GPS positioning) it would be perfect.

Just think, geocachers with an iPhone could log into the Geocaching.com website, find a cache listing, navigate into the woods, find the container, take photos, and post the "find" log back on the website, all using the same device!

thisonechance
Dec 12, 2007, 01:13 PM
This one of my ideas when the iPhone first came out, along with an iSight that works in the same fashion. Would be interesting to see how this turns out.

claud9999
Dec 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to see any new hardware come out that might be of use to people.... But at the same time, I wish someone other than TomTom was building this for the iPhone.

Garmin would be a great choice, but hey - I'd be fine with Magellan, or even Lowrance, or Navigon.

The problem with TomTom is, they don't use Navteq map data on any of their devices. They use a competing supplier of map data, and they're not as accurate or up-to-date as Navteq's maps. (At least for those of us in the United States.)

Agreed, I've never understood the love affair folks have with TomTom. Their map management s/w sux, their GPS software lacks text-to-speech (although, apparently, their latest GPS units have TTS.) It's ok s/w, but I hope others enter the market (are you reading this, developers of CoPilot? That's the one app I miss greatly from my Windows Mobile phone.)

And also agree with other comments, why not just use the bluetooth capabilities of the phone? I have a bluetooth gps module sitting unused...

afd
Dec 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
Not with the iPhone in its current state they couldn't

Doug

Third party apps can't be installed in it's current state either. If apple is keen to have someone produce a gps app then it won't be much of a problem for these services to be enabled. I hope . . .

aswitcher
Dec 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
I hope this works with the touch

Mike Teezie
Dec 12, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'd buy one, if it's not crippled in some silly way.

Squonk
Dec 12, 2007, 01:38 PM

Like no right turns? :D

Stampyhead
Dec 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
I like the fact that it's external so those of us who don't care about GPS and don't need or want one in the phone don't have to worry about it.

GoodWatch
Dec 12, 2007, 01:40 PM

It will be, voice directions are only in Dutch. "Sla over 100 meter links af" :p

comacnut
Dec 12, 2007, 01:43 PM
Do Tom Tom devices work well for off the beaten path environments? I need a new GPS for the Jeep and general exploring by foot. Can you enter TOPO maps and way points or are Tom Tom's solely for "street" use?

notjustjay
Dec 12, 2007, 01:46 PM
Do Tom Tom devices work well for off the beaten path environments? I need a new GPS for the Jeep and general exploring by foot. Can you enter TOPO maps and way points or are Tom Tom's solely for "street" use?

Pretty much every "street navigator" GPS is pretty much solely for street use. You can't load topo maps and you can't specify coordinates as waypoints, only street addresses or built-in POI's. I don't know if TomTom makes handheld-style GPS units like Garmin and Magellan, which would be better suited to what you want.

xfiftyfour
Dec 12, 2007, 01:48 PM

Honestly you can't be serious? What's the difference between the iPhone with an attachment versus a normal TomTom unit? Or an in-dash touchscreen device, for that matter?

Besides, I use my iPhone in the car all the time. One of the first purchases I made for my car was a mount and a new stereo so that I could connect my iPhone. Who doesn't use their iPod or iPhone (BTW, the iPhone is way easier to use in the car than an iPod cause of the touch capabilities - requires a lot less attention than the scrollwheel) while driving? Hell, I even text (though I'm not defending that habit). :p

Wharrgarbl
Dec 12, 2007, 02:06 PM
Why is it *always* a grainy, blurry photo?

With all the zillion-megapixel image-enhancing cameras around, how come the photo is always taken on a webcam from 1999?

The newest GPS chips are so tiny and draw so little power that there's no reason to put them in an external attachment. A future iPhone will have GPS in it, I promise. Will Jobso license a clunky dongle to add functionality that every iPhone needs? That would be so... windows ce

houttbe
Dec 12, 2007, 02:06 PM
According to the display the device is positioned on the highway driving into Rotterdam - presumably in a car. So why is it lying on a wooden surface?

anubis
Dec 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
Holy crap you guys are gullible. That's the fakest looking "spyshot" I've ever seen. Furthermore, it's one of the worst photoshop jobs in history. There's no reason for the image to be such poor quality since clearly, the person was taking the photo in a controlled environment with the phone lying still. It's also apparent that the "card" on the bottom isn't plugged into the phone but is lying underneith the phone. Finally, the image on the screen just looks like someone went to Garmin's web site and copy/pasted a thumbnail sample screenshot. And as the previous poster pointed out, why does the phone say it's currently on a highway when it's clearly sitting on a table.

Spock
Dec 12, 2007, 02:13 PM
Could they not also use BlueTooth to communicate with the iPhone? If that's the case, you wouldn't even need to plug in.

This wold limit the device to just the iPhone, opening it up to the iPod Touch would generate more sales.

wizard
Dec 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
Also I recall mention of RouteBuddy wishing to produce an iPhone version.
Hope someone makes one, I'd definately buy a GPS system for my iPhone

Actually it would be best if it was Bluetooth as this would mean that Apple has gotten the stack up and running. That would be fantastic as there are a number of applications that beocme possible with a working Bluetooth stack.

The flip side is to make a Bluetooth GPS module for permanent mounting in your Auto. This would be ideal for people who need GPS for navigation but don't want the drain of a plug in module nor the bulk.

Dave

GoodWatch
Dec 12, 2007, 02:14 PM
Garmin's web site and copy/pasted a thumbnail sample screenshot.

TomTom's website :rolleyes:

MacsRgr8
Dec 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
It will be, voice directions are only in Dutch. "Sla over 100 meter links af" :p

The pic shown is showing the directions in Holland... so you could be right. ;)

BTW... as much as I want it to be true, it looks very very fake to me.

lazyrighteye
Dec 12, 2007, 02:16 PM
The more and more I think about it the more dumb the concept of a touchscreen handheld is. I really like the option of operating things without the need for looking at them.

Good point about the risk of iPhoning whilst driving.

I've been using the iPhone since June 29 and the touch screen, while very nice & incredibly effective, does present some potential for less than safe usage - especially behind the wheel. Overall, I like the touchscreen concept and the potential to redefine an entire device based on software. BOOM! It's a remote for :apple:TV. BAM! It's a game pad controller. BIFF! It's a light saber.
But there is something to the tactile feel of a physical button vs. a glass surface. I'm not saying tactile buttons are better, I'm just saying there are instances where a physical button is better. And while txting and driving is easier with physical buttons, I don't think I could argue it is any safer.
No buttons = less txting & driving.
More buttons = more txting & driving.

That said, why not just a simple 3rd party mount for the iPhone in a car (might already be a sufficient mount available)?
How much bigger are the screens of in-car GPS devices?
Wouldn't a landscape mount for an iPhone come close to standard in-car systems? I have not looked at them closely, but they seem in the same ball park, with regards to screen real estate.

Or what about a larger, in-car screen that talks to the iPhone via BT? Possible?

outlyer
Dec 12, 2007, 02:18 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use the Google Maps that are already available? I imagine this kind of add-on would just give a location to the phone and then you could use whatever map client you wanted. That's how the maps work on a GPS-enabled BlackBerry.

JoeG4
Dec 12, 2007, 02:25 PM
Sweet! I want that for my touch!

HiRez
Dec 12, 2007, 02:55 PM
No data can travel on the iPhone's Bluetooth. I wish it could, or that they would enable it.How do you no data can't travel on the iPhone's Bluetooth? Isn't the voice for the earpiece just digitized data? If you can carry digital voice, I don't see why you can't put any other kind of data over it as well. I'm not sure what the bandwidth requirements for GPS data are though.

quandmeme
Dec 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
The GPS is so important that it should be built-in the iPhone; not just as an external add-on module!

No bloat for iPhones. My vote is through add-ons. Bluetooth would be ideal (sorry iTouch users), but piggy-backing through the connector port is better than having it on-board. On board GPS would drain the battery and cloud the interface, but most of all it would lock in one solution. I want the ability to choose. Taking the longer view, I want the iPhone to become a platform not just a product. Not just expansion into a tablet form, but a software and hardware ecosystem where there are add-on options.

arn
Dec 12, 2007, 03:02 PM
No bloat for iPhones. My vote is through add-ons. Bluetooth would be ideal (sorry iTouch users),

I agree, GPS + Car Charger device to plug the iPhone into the car would be all that is needed.

Most people aren't looking for GPS to go hiking in the woods with their iPhone.

arn

Pandaboots
Dec 12, 2007, 03:06 PM
hahaha...2 things:

1) Why is every spy photo always so pixelated or blurry? Doesn't anyone have a camera better than a polaroid from the 70's?

2) Why is there always a barcode sticker on these things?

If the iPhone is going to have gps, it will be integrated, not some 3rd party add on device.

twoodcc
Dec 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
now this would be great! i sure hope it's true

phytonix
Dec 12, 2007, 03:35 PM
How to charge iPhone when it is plugged in?
They must have another USB thing on the module?

GQB
Dec 12, 2007, 03:42 PM
If this actually exists, I see this as only the first of a whole bunch of add-on hardware accessories for the iPhone. It would be ever more full of awesomeness if it works with the iPod touch as well...

My friends have been scoffing at me for months when I predict this.
The 2 I'm waiting for
- quality, stereo microphone for recording
- better quality camera

There's no reason anything that works on the iPhone (that isn't phone related) shouldn't work on the touch. I hope Apple lightens up on the cannibalization fears from the touch... I've only ever wanted the touch, not the phone.

Schtumple
Dec 12, 2007, 03:46 PM
Why is it *always* a grainy, blurry photo?

With all the zillion-megapixel image-enhancing cameras around, how come the photo is always taken on a webcam from 1999?

Because if it is fake its easier to hide it in a low quality image, duh... :rolleyes:

nostaws
Dec 12, 2007, 03:55 PM
Bluetooth?

I don't like the separate bluetooth modules. I don't want to be tied to my car, or a power source, or have another module to carry around.

It would be nice to use such a device while walking around as well. What if I am on the subway, bus, or taxi, and am trying to get around a city on foot?

Also, for accuracy, I think Magellan are some of the best (I haven't used a magellan car nav system (but I don't know how their car software is), but magellan gear for hiking, geocaching, etc.)

I personally want an Apple GPS chip/device that interfaces with Google Maps (as stated by some previous posters).

GQB
Dec 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
That said, why not just a simple 3rd party mount for the iPhone in a car (might already be a sufficient mount available)?

Like this?

http://www.proclipworld.com/Default.asp?sectionpath=143&pageid=13304&processor=content&pcategoryid=13759&categoryid=16849&p_origin=143&p_sectionid=143&p_pageid=8900&p_processor=asp&p_asp_processor=product&p_action=proclipcategorysearch&p_ppagecategoryid=&p_pagecategoryid=&p_pcategoryid=13759&p_categoryid=16849&p_sitecategoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=998&p_leftorright=

thecreativ1
Dec 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
Don't you guys remember the big hoax about the "real" video iPod??? About how weeks later the guys showed a screencast about how he made the fake....

Well I do, and the barcode sticker on the tomtom dongle looks an awful lot like the barcode sticker on this notorious fake...

Oblivious`
Dec 12, 2007, 03:58 PM
I really hope this is not fake that would be so cool to have tomtom on my iPhone. The one thing i was not happy about giving up my SPV m700 was because of the TomTom 6 i had it on.

GSMiller
Dec 12, 2007, 04:05 PM
Well it makes sense TomTom would develop it, the Helio Ocean GPS is powered by Garmin.

dukebound85
Dec 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
Honestly you can't be serious? What's the difference between the iPhone with an attachment versus a normal TomTom unit? Or an in-dash touchscreen device, for that matter?

Besides, I use my iPhone in the car all the time. One of the first purchases I made for my car was a mount and a new stereo so that I could connect my iPhone. Who doesn't use their iPod or iPhone (BTW, the iPhone is way easier to use in the car than an iPod cause of the touch capabilities - requires a lot less attention than the scrollwheel) while driving? Hell, I even text (though I'm not defending that habit). :p

i disagree. navigating a touch screen is loads more difficult than a click wheel in car. i know ive used both

Bakey
Dec 12, 2007, 04:11 PM

Hmmmm... How very patriotic!

But I'm afraid Garmin equals naff and hugely inadequate in the way of their UI whereas Tom Tom is very Apple like in the fact that... "It Just Works!!!!" :D

Looks fake to me - but I'd deffo buy one if it ever came to light!!! ;)

dukebound85
Dec 12, 2007, 04:12 PM

But I'm afraid Garmin equals naff and hugely inadequate in the way of their UI whereas Tom Tom is very Apple like in the fact that... "It Just Works!!!!" :D

i personally like garmin the best by far

happydude
Dec 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
Most people aren't looking for GPS to go hiking in the woods with their iPhone.

arn

i am . . . not saying, anything . . . just saying.

i'd love a GPS for geocaching, hiking, camping, as well as directions. the size and power use of gps units nowadays wouldn't bulk up the ipod at all, imho, and would add functionality that would be a huge draw for a certain subsection of people. and besides, sales are driven by gimicks. what better way to push a few more iphones than gps built in:

customer: what's the diff between these two phones
sales person: well, blah blah blah and this one [iphone] has gps built in!
customer: ooooh, i'm sold!

how many gen x'ers in the 80's bought shoes with a stupid little pump inside them? those same people now have a ridiculous amount of buying power. cars are selling gps built in, why not phones . . . why not the iphone?!

madpsintst
Dec 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
This seems fake to me. I sent a request to TomTom last July asking if they intend on developing for the iPhone. Their reply was as follows:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding whether Navigator 6 will be compatible with the iPhone. Unfortunately it isn't and never will be. This is because the iPhone uses a completely different operating system than any other PDA or Smartphone available.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

jephrey
Dec 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
If you took a picture of something like this, wouldn't you put it in higher res?

That's what I thought.

nice idea but fake.

J

veneficuss
Dec 12, 2007, 06:01 PM

Well I dont need much of an interface to put in an address, so i am not sure how much more "adequate" TomTom's interface is. I put in an address and Garmin gets me there without a problem EVERY time. If a road is closed, I simply press the Detour button and a new convenient route is calculated in 3 seconds. Also, every Garmin I have ever owned spoke the street names, TomTom just started that this year in the US market. They are playing catch-up to Garmin, who has been in the GPS business since NAVSTAR went public. I would assume Apple would take care of the interface anyway in a real product and just use the GPS navigation engine of a 3rd party and there is no way TomTom has a better engine than Garmin.

And if more people were a little patriotic in their buying choices they would be doing themselves and the society they live in a service. Japan learned this early on.

carlgo
Dec 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
i'd love a GPS for geocaching, ...

This seems like a big deal as there are caches all over, and some near me. I actually found one by accident, didn't know what it was until I looked it up.

The best thing would be to enable the installing of both topographical maps and street maps. Then offer a big screen to mount on the dash or windshield that would display the maps as transmitted by the phone. The screen could be equipped with speakers loud enough to be useful in a car.

Oh, and add an electronic compass and thermometer like those found in the rear view mirrors of some cars.

nagromme
Dec 12, 2007, 08:22 PM
Another "fake" vote from me.

* No sign of Apple/iPhone GUI styling or even fonts

* No sign of buttons or controls

* Ubercheesy diagonal "shine" from bottom left to top-right

* Add-on appears to totally miss the dock connector and be sitting flat on the table instead

* No top-bar with battery status etc.

* The usual world's-worst-quality photo, like other fakes

* "that device is clearly not in a car heading to Rotterdam"

sundoggy
Dec 12, 2007, 10:05 PM

You are higher than a kite. Garmin did not originate GPS, it was developed by the US Dept of Defense for military applications. Commerical GPS was originally developed at HP and their intellectual property was bought by Charles Trimble, who founded Trimble Navigation, which introduced the first commercial GPS systems (today, Trimble only manufactures high-end, specialized GPS systems, such as survey units, scientific instruments, and high precision (mm level) systems, plus OEM products). The only "original" commercial GPS manufacturer around today is Magellan, which was founded many years after Trimble, and years before Garmin. Jeez, your facts are so way off.

Next point.

Today, all cell phones (every one manufactured after 2006) are required to have built in GPS, meaning that the iPhone should by US law, have a GPS chip inside. Not sure why no one has turned this into a service, but it might have to do with a limited capability GPS chip or limited GPS antenna--could be either--that can only be used for 911 emergency purposes.

Anyone know why GPS has not been exploited in the iPhone?

Dell misses me
Dec 12, 2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah it has to be fake or maybe the prototype is for some reason slanted? with that fake cardboard behind it? but Im sure something like this will come out when the iphone comes to the Verizon network and gets VZ navigator! please:D

AidenShaw
Dec 12, 2007, 11:21 PM
I've had my Pharos Bluetooth GPS with my Windows phone for a couple of years.

Nice to hear that Apple might someday have something like that...

nsayer
Dec 13, 2007, 12:05 AM
Why not just add support to the google maps app for tethering to bluetooth GPS receivers?!

nsayer
Dec 13, 2007, 12:07 AM
Today, all cell phones (every one manufactured after 2006) are required to have built in GPS, meaning that the iPhone should by US law, have a GPS chip inside. Not sure why no one has turned this into a service, but it might have to do with a limited capability GPS chip or limited GPS antenna--could be either--that can only be used for 911 emergency purposes.

Not true.

The requirement is that the carriers be able to pinpoint your location in an emergency. GPS is one way to achieve that goal, but it can also be done with cell tower triangulation.

tbohlsennswssrg
Dec 13, 2007, 12:33 AM

Which translates into English (according to freetranslation.com) as "Salad over 100 meters left off"

Quillz
Dec 13, 2007, 01:42 AM
This would be a spectacular add-on to the iphone.

What can't this thing do? Or rather, what isn't this thing capable of in the future?

I WANT IT IN CANADA!
The iPhone can't do my laundry. Or wash my car. Or do my homework. Or handle my taxes. Or reformat my hard drive. Or pick up the dog poop on my lawn. Or make me breakfast. Or create a clone of myself. Or spawn a body and go to work for me.

TurboSC
Dec 13, 2007, 02:15 AM
I can't even hear my speakerphone in the car.

How would I hear spoken directions?

Face it, the iPhone's speaker isn't loud enough. Great concept, though.

hahah so true... what if the GPS unit had speakers of it's own as well? that would definitely solve the problem...

or if the GPS unit was a dock type thing where you could rest your iPhone into a cradle that supports your iPhone. That'd be cute.

halhiker
Dec 13, 2007, 02:17 AM
First, I think this picture is beyond fake. It's a poor fake that some kid did in class because he was bored.

Second, I have a GPS in my car. I don't need one on my phone. If I can't find something while walking down a street and using the map app on the iPhone I might as well give it up right now.

I REALLY don't want GPS if it's going to cost me. I can buy a handheld GPS for less than $100 and don't because I don't need it.

And here's the funny thing. I had a GPS about 15 years ago when no one had them because they were huge and cost a fortune. I had one because I owned a hiking store. I quickly discovered I really didn't need it because I know how to read a map and use a compass. Now certainly the GPS units of today are much more advanced than those old ones were but the only reason I have one in my car is because my wife is directionally challenged. I rarely use it.

The people who say they won't buy an iPhone because it's not 3G and doesn't have GPS won't buy one when it does because it doesn't have Office or they can't use it to control their garage door or it doesn't give them a hummer on their afternoon commute. The naysayers will always find an excuse.

Keep the iPhone simple, elegant and easy to use and let the whiners moan about what it lacks. No one cares what they think anyways.

dalvin200
Dec 13, 2007, 03:11 AM

I agree and iPhone 2.0/3.0 is my guess..

nsayer
Dec 13, 2007, 11:27 AM
I had one because I owned a hiking store. I quickly discovered I really didn't need it because I know how to read a map and use a compass. Now certainly the GPS units of today are much more advanced than those old ones were but the only reason I have one in my car is because my wife is directionally challenged. I rarely use it.

I rarely use it because I rarely go somewhere I haven't gone before.

But even in that context, it has one use that I value: If you're on the highway in the middle of nowhere, even if you know you're going the right way, it can tell you how much longer you have to go (in both distance and estimated time). No need for back-seaters to ask - it's on the display.

spydr
Dec 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
Though it is super fake, I like to thank these 'artists' for stirring up so much discussion and mobilizing a demonstration of how much users want one such device.

I am quite convinced that the all-seeing-eye at infinity loop watches these and would act accordingly.

MarkW19
Dec 13, 2007, 01:04 PM
It's inevitable that something like this will come to the iPhone, but I always thought it'd make more sense tied into google maps...

Also, that Tomtom GPS module will significantly reduce the iPhones battery life, and as most people use sat nav in their cars, they'd want to have it plugged in...but the device looks like it takes up the dock port, meaning you can't charge the iPhone while its in use! This would be a major problem anyway, nevermind with the sat nav reducing the battery life.

It'd make a lot more sense if it was Bluetooth (yes, Apple would have to update the Bluetooth on the iPhone for this), with power coming from the vehicles 9v socket; or, when on foot with NO other options, then it can be plugged into the iPhone for its power, and convenience. Or better still, make it a bit wider so it can accomodate some AAA batteries. My navman Bluetooth gps receiver took 3 AAAs and lasted for about 15 hours of continuous use.

I agree though, satnav on the iPhone would be great. My tomtoms touchscreen really doesn't hack it after I've been using my iPhone all day!

TurboSC
Dec 13, 2007, 02:02 PM
Another "fake" vote from me.

* No sign of Apple/iPhone GUI styling or even fonts

* No sign of buttons or controls

* Ubercheesy diagonal "shine" from bottom left to top-right

* Add-on appears to totally miss the dock connector and be sitting flat on the table instead

* No top-bar with battery status etc.

* The usual world's-worst-quality photo, like other fakes

* "that device is clearly not in a car heading to Rotterdam"

agreed.

whanthalozola
Dec 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
it's fake...

John Musbach
Dec 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Engadget posts (http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/12/tomtom-developing-iphone-gps-module/) a photo claiming to be an upcoming TomTom GPS module for the iPhone.

The validity of the photo itself is difficult to assess, however, its been rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/26/iphone-sdk-already-seeded-to-some-developers/) that select developers may already have access to Apple's upcoming SDK. It's conceivable that Apple has selected key hardware manufacturers to ready new iPhone accessories.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/12/tomtom-developing-gps-module-for-iphone/)

This would be pretty neat although unfortunately it is now reported to be a fake screenshot. Were the iPhone to have true GPS capability as some other cellphones do then that would make the iPhone a even more tempting purchase choice for me after the release of the 3G iPhone and official SDK (which would hopefully provide a good selection of officially developed applications). Yet I still will be giving Android powered phones a look too...