Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget posts a photo claiming to be an upcoming TomTom GPS module for the iPhone.

The poor quality image depicts a small add-on device which plugs into the bottom of the iPhone. Meanwhile, the screen shows a typical GPS view.

The validity of the photo itself is difficult to assess, however, its been rumored that select developers may already have access to Apple's upcoming SDK. It's conceivable that Apple has selected key hardware manufacturers to ready new iPhone accessories.

Article Link

veneficuss

macrumors member
May 31, 2006
I was really hoping that Apple would partner up with Garmin because both are US companies and Garmin is the originator in GPS Navigation, but I believe Garmin is in contract with that Helio device. I don't know if that contract means they cannot develop for another product.

ShadowHunter

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2003
Fresno
Looks fake to me. It looks kinda like the device plugged into the bottom is really just under the iPhone and sticking out some. The lower half of the phone looks slightly raised compared to the upper half to me.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Would not be surprised, although they could just use bluetooth like the kit they use for Palm, Symbian and Windows mobile.
Also I recall mention of RouteBuddy wishing to produce an iPhone version.
Hope someone makes one, I'd definately buy a GPS system for my iPhone

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
This would be a spectacular add-on to the iphone.

What can't this thing do? Or rather, what isn't this thing capable of in the future?

I WANT IT IN CANADA!

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
If this actually exists, I see this as only the first of a whole bunch of add-on hardware accessories for the iPhone. It would be ever more full of awesomeness if it works with the iPod touch as well...

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Anyone but TomTom would be nice, practically ....

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to see any new hardware come out that might be of use to people.... But at the same time, I wish someone other than TomTom was building this for the iPhone.

Garmin would be a great choice, but hey - I'd be fine with Magellan, or even Lowrance, or Navigon.

The problem with TomTom is, they don't use Navteq map data on any of their devices. They use a competing supplier of map data, and they're not as accurate or up-to-date as Navteq's maps. (At least for those of us in the United States.)

I was really hoping that Apple would partner up with Garmin because both are US companies and Garmin is the originator in GPS Navigation, but I believe Garmin is in contract with that Helio device. I don't know if that contract means they cannot develop for another product.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Would not be surprised, although they could just use bluetooth like the kit they use for Palm, Symbian and Windows mobile.

No data can travel on the iPhone's Bluetooth. I wish it could, or that they would enable it. Then I could use my tomtom 910 with my iPhone. Yes, I can use it for phone, but I would really like some traffic updates on it while out and about.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

This would be really cool if it is true. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I can't even hear my speakerphone in the car.

How would I hear spoken directions?

Face it, the iPhone's speaker isn't loud enough. Great concept, though.

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
I was really hoping that Apple would partner up with Garmin because both are US companies and Garmin is the originator in GPS Navigation

Huh?

I know Garmin is a US company but never heard of anything about them being the 'originator'.

Give me a TomTom anyday! TomTom is becoming the generic word for 'in-car GPS' in the UK. Plus Garmin are hated for the annoying christmas advert they currently have running :p

Anyone checked the photo up close yet?

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
I have never had a problem with Tom Tom Maps - and I haven't updated my nav for 2 years. Tom Tom has been solid for me and they really are one of the top selling units in the US.

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Looks fake to me. It looks kinda like the device plugged into the bottom is really just under the iPhone and sticking out some. The lower half of the phone looks slightly raised compared to the upper half to me.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

Well, I don't know if you are not nuts :p, but yeah it looks that way to me too. Its obviously up under the iPhone, you can tell its not connected to the port on the bottom.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
iCar

It's a bad idea. GPS navigation is most useful while driving. The iPhone can be a difficult and dangerous device to use in the car (while driving); but in the car is where I use the thing the most. Apple needs to design an in-dash touchscreen device that syncs with your iPhone, but can be operated safely while driving.

It's only a matter of time before someone gets killed because they were trying to use Google maps or iTunes on their iPhone while driving.

Tazzy531

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bluetooth?

Could they not also use BlueTooth to communicate with the iPhone? If that's the case, you wouldn't even need to plug in.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
The GPS is so important that it should be built-in the iPhone; not just as an external add-on module!

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
I hope this isn't fake - I love the iPhone's gorgeous screen and when I got my Garmin I was sad it wasn't up to the same spec.

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
If this device is real and if Tom Tom developed this with an advance copy of the SDK from Apple, it might be a good indicator that the next version of the iPhone will not have integrated GPS. Nice feature to have, but not one of the first things I'd want to see added.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.