Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i just got home and got on my PC. it had been on all day downloading stuff from the net. when i got home and tried to use Windows Media Player it just did some weird stuff. i had to restart the computer and now it seems to be good.
and on the subject of Mac's, today at college some people were erasing CD-RW's on their iBooks. it seemed to take at least half an hour. i was wondering what speed the combo drives are. they must be like 4x.

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
useless postings and slow wits

the media player was acting "weird", was it?
and the erasing of the discs took long, did it?

i got one story for you:
today my towel fell off the hook on the wall.
fortunately i could just hang it right back on.

there should be "Juicy Sarcasm" markers around here somewhere, but I can't find any. So you'll just have to post-process this posting.

anyway check out http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
If I am not mistaken, the slowness from erasing CD-RW disks on a combo drive iBook is probably caused from using Toast. Toast has two options for erasing.
(1) Erase allows the CD-RW to be recorded by any other program other than toast; however, the erasing takes 20 minutes with a 4x CD-RW drive ( 8 by "4" by 24 ).
(2) Quick Erase allows the disk to be rewritten by only Toast or Jam.

So really, the computer is not at fault; it is the option you select for how to erase the disk.

That's on a satisfying note. What is disturbing me about this post is that I am typing this on the Pee-Cheese here at class!

But I did want to respond to this... :)

Anytime is a great time for iPod.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Re: useless PC and slow Mac's

Originally posted by cb911
i just got home and got on my PC. it had been on all day downloading stuff from the net. when i got home and tried to use Windows Media Player it just did some weird stuff. i had to restart the computer and now it seems to be good.
and on the subject of Mac's, today at college some people were erasing CD-RW's on their iBooks. it seemed to take at least half an hour. i was wondering what speed the combo drives are. they must be like 4x.

At 4x it would take a while to completely erase a CD-RW. But from what I've seen, erasing is always the slowest operation on a drive.

Matthew

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Just wondering cb911, is it true that you were using toast as King Cobra says?
tell those people in college to use disc utility, I use it to erase my RWCD, and it takes about 10-15 seconds (that is 'pressing start, erasing, ok message, quiting DU, and back to finder winsdow'-15 seconds)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: useless PC's

Doh, aren't they all? Ha ha ha ha... Ha ha ha ha ha...

Yes, I'll be here all week. Next week I'll be at the banana club on bananarumors.com, thank you very much.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
cb911 ~ Has made a valid point!

I smiled at this post topic when I saw it, because it coined exactly how i feel about the current state of the computer world. I use both type of computers.

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me, yet I will venture forward despite the landmine of contradicting opinions up ahead.

Ahem~ My Pcheese is the worst, I load Windizzy and load Photoshop, it freezes, reboot.
Load again, then photoshop crashes in the middle of a simple operation.
It just closes unexpectedly.
There isnt a blue screen anymore, just abrupt shock and questions.
Like "what the hell?"

I stare at the screen in disbelief. This isnt the proper manner for a computer to behave, then I spit at the box.
Hey , I am french, we are emotional people.

My Mac is my friend but its kinda slow witted, simple things seem to confuse it. Its steady and marches on but its slow. Really slow, sometimes the simplest tasks cause the beachball of hypnotism to rise up and draw me into a coma. Heh, i just tried to scroll this screen and was hypotised into the 14th century by that multi colored yawn.

To close, I will say this. I am in awe at the current state of computers.
I would have thought that at this point there would be a unit that was capable enough to eradicate all the problems of the past and move forward into the age of appliance computing.
You know, like a tv, you turn it on and it works.
If you had to wait for your television to fill its screen while a giant beach ball rotated your eyes into the world of blur.
You would take that sucker back!
For a full refund.

Hell, I had a tv once that would shut itself off. We called it broken!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: cb911 ~ Has made a valid point!

Originally posted by Grokgod
If you had to wait for your television to fill its screen while a giant beach ball rotated your eyes into the world of blur.
You would take that sucker back!
For a full refund.

Actually, I would search on the tv until I found the little warning label on it. You know the one, it reads 'intel inside' :D Either that or a windblows license code somewhere on it.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I forgot to mention...Quick Erase with Toast takes only 2 to 3 minutes.

There is also a Quick Erase function in OS X for CD-RWs, if you go into Disk Utility, then the erase tab.

And the only time I would need Windows Media Player is if I need to watch an episode of The Simpsons, or something that a friend of someone I know that involves a comedian skit. I wouldn't trust WMP in a long while.

Anytime is a great time for iPod.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by mcrain
Re: useless PC's

Doh, aren't they all? Ha ha ha ha... Ha ha ha ha ha...

Yes, I'll be here all week. Next week I'll be at the banana club on bananarumors.com, thank you very much.

the one thing (i think) that makes my pc necessary is that i have to read a lot of emails and other stuff with attached microsft office documents

does mac office 2001 translate stuff directly from office 97, 2000, and xp?

or do i have to get office 10 for that?

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i wasn't using toast, in fact i wasn't the one trying to erase a CD, it was a friend of mine. i was just wondering what speed the combodrives in the iBooks and TiBooks are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.