Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I was planning on downloading a pdf map of the city, to help me get around, but I just wanted to check to be sure there's no "Paris"-app available or anything else that might be of help to me while I'm there. My phone is jailbroken.

So, is there anything out there that I might find useful for my trip to Paris?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
not an app, but will probably useful for you anyway - check out the downloadable map of the paris metro system here. you load them into iphoto and sync them to your iphone, and you browse them in the photos app. not perfect, but still handy. i downloaded the ones for boston and san francisco and use them from time to time...

hooly

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
you should be able to pick up GPRS if you set it to data roaming. I don't know about EDGE...

For the SIM card... you might be able to do this if you have an unlocked phone but not if it isnt unlocked.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I'm already in Europe, more specifically Norway, so that's not an issue. The phone is already jailbreaken and hactivated. And yes, I will be able to use EDGE, but I won't considering the costs.

That Metro Map is awesome.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
I couldn't get the pictures in order for the metro map, so I found the original one and just synced that to the phone, but for some reason it looks like it got downconverted when syncing to the phone. Is there any way to avoid this?

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
The Maps function already on the iphone may work for you as well? My phone is not jailbroken, but I use the native maps function all the time and I have no problems with it...

r6girl

Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Wirelessly posted (my iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

cstromme said:
I couldn't get the pictures in order for the metro map, so I found the original one and just synced that to the phone, but for some reason it looks like it got downconverted when syncing to the phone. Is there any way to avoid this?

Yeah, they don't sync in order. The trick is to put them in their own album and sync the album containing all of the photos for one system to your iPhone. Then when you view the album, the map assembles correctly and you just select the portion you need to view closely.

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (my iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Yeah, they don't sync in order. The trick is to put them in their own album and sync the album containing all of the photos for one system to your iPhone. Then when you view the album, the map assembles correctly and you just select the portion you need to view closely.

I put them all in an event for itself, but that didn't make them come up in the right order. And besides, it's easier to get an overall view with a single picture.

So, is there any way to do this? Get a picture over there without the iPhone downgrading it?

r6girl

Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I put them all in an event for itself, but that didn't make them come up in the right order. And besides, it's easier to get an overall view with a single picture.

So, is there any way to do this? Get a picture over there without the iPhone downgrading it?

so it doesn't look like this when you view the photo album on your iphone? you get more detail when zooming when it's divided into separate sections.

i don't know what to tell you - pictures are resized when they are transferred to the iphone, so there's no way to force a single hi-res picture onto it...

Attachments

• metromap.jpg
    metromap.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 252

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
filemarkmaker, will put the hi-res image on phone as ann embedded weblink so you can zoom and not get a blurry lo-res image

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
so it doesn't look like this when you view the photo album on your iphone? you get more detail when zooming when it's divided into separate sections.

No, I don't get them in order, and I can't seem to find any way to move them around, neither in iPhoto nor on the iPhone.

Attachments

• paris.jpg
    paris.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 180

r6girl

Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
No, I don't get them in order, and I can't seem to find any way to move them around, neither in iPhoto nor on the iPhone.

that's too weird! but i thought iphoto would allow you to re-order them just by dragging and dropping them in the album? i'm pretty sure i can change the order of photos in iphoto albums like this (but i'm at work without my mac now)...

cstromme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
^ Doesn't seem to work here.

I can get them in the right order in iPhoto by changing the sorting order from the default, but that doesn't affect the sorting order on the iPhone.

DanielSosMac

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Paris
get a map

Metro maps are given away for Free at Every metro or Rer Station, they're simple and faster to open than to launch your iphones which, by the way, are being stolen a LOT in the subway.

Just go to the counter and ask for the "Plan de Paris Poche"
Poche_201006.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.