PDA

View Full Version : any new LCDs coming out?

GyroFX
Sep 30, 2003, 03:48 AM
I was looking to purchase the 23inch HD display but i keep wondering if Apple is coming out with something new. I mean, their new scheme seems to be aestheticaly...metalic. So maybe by chance they'll come out with new monitors ??? or should i spring for the 23HD?...i can get it for about 1800 with student discount. Anyone have any info on future Apple displays? thanx

airmac
Sep 30, 2003, 04:55 AM
I got it last week and the thing is beautiful. For 1800 that's a steal. At this point nobody knows what apple's next generations of monitors would look like...25, 30 inch?!

Just buy the 23 or 20, you won't regret it.

riwanami
Sep 30, 2003, 04:56 AM
I read from somewhere that they Apple may be coming out with 23 inch display with a shell that matches the new G5s possibly in November. I don't remember where this rumor came from, and I say it with caution because it was only a rumor.

But with the current plastic look of Apple's displays and the metalic look of the new PowerBooks and G5s, it may make sense for Apple to do this, even if the LCD itself is the same.

Abraxsis
Sep 30, 2003, 08:54 AM
Personally I feel that buying an LCD from Apple is a waste of money. Apple's LCDs are manufactured by Phillips - LG Electronics (at least their 23" HD ones are) and can be found in other brands of screens for up to 500.00+ less. That 500.00 is pure name-recognition based profit, and as much as I like the company their name isnt worth 500.00 of my money. The only thing Apple designed in the case of their line of LCDs is the casing the LCD comes in, and I assure you it isnt worth 500.00. Check into Phillip's self-branded LCD line, same build quality and graphics quality ... and much cheaper.

the future
Sep 30, 2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Abraxsis
Personally I feel that buying an LCD from Apple is a waste of money. Apple's LCDs are manufactured by Phillips - LG Electronics (at least their 23" HD ones are) and can be found in other brands of screens for up to 500.00+ less. That 500.00 is pure name-recognition based profit, and as much as I like the company their name isnt worth 500.00 of my money. The only thing Apple designed in the case of their line of LCDs is the casing the LCD comes in, and I assure you it isnt worth 500.00. Check into Phillip's self-branded LCD line, same build quality and graphics quality ... and much cheaper.

Strange... as far as I can see neither Philips nor LG seem to offer a 20" or a 23" widescreen LCD display. Can you provide a link?

acj
Sep 30, 2003, 10:25 AM
sony makes a scren with the same panel

mac3dX
Sep 30, 2003, 11:04 AM
I don't believe Phillips makes a 23" and the Sony 23" is about $500 more than the same Apple one. But Apple's 23" is about 3 years old technology. They desperately need to update it soon. The brightness is only 200 and the contrast is only 300, compared to new LCDs of 300 brightness and 600 contrast. Where's the Apple innovation?

Makosuke
Sep 30, 2003, 05:04 PM
I'm not a big LCD buyer and I'm not saying that Apple's LCDs are the best on the market, but they're hardly a ripoff at the current prices.

Browsing through the LCD listings at CDW (largest online computer reseller, so not an unreasonable place to look even if they're not the cheapest), you'll see that Apple's Cinema HD is the cheapest 23" LCD they sell. Although it has slightly lower contrast and brightness than a Planar display at about the same price, it's also considerably higher resolution.

The cheapest 1920 by 1200 pixel (not 1600 by 1200 23") display I can find is from Sony, and that's $600 more than the Cinema 23" with identical brightness/contrast specs (same screen).

The competition is much stiffer in the 17" range, though, and there are 20" displays that are probably a better buy as well.

Also don't forget that, like it or not, the integrated power/USB in ADC is convienent.

Renderdog
Oct 1, 2003, 09:52 AM
The highly respected "Design Graphics" magazine tested LCD monitors recently and the Apple 23" HD display was judged to be the best, by far. In fact they judged the others relative to the Apple HD display.

The lower brightness and contrast ratings for the Apple displays always made me pause, but it turns out when the other LCD's are calibrated properly their brightness and contrast are in the same range as Apple's.