Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noetus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
This may be a silly question, but when I plug in my Firewire HDD external enclosure (2.5") not one but two disk icons show up on the Desktop. One has a "1" appended to the name. I can use either one, or eject one of them and the other continues to function.

Huh?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
It sounds like the external has two partitions with the same name. That would explain everything - check it out in disk utility.

noetus

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
New York Cirty
Nope, definitely not. There is just ONE partition, and it takes up the entire drive. I can click on either icon and get full access to all the contents of my drive. Furthermore, ejecting just one of the "icons" doesn't prevent me from using the other, which stays nicely well-behaved on the desktop. (For tidiness reasons, I usually do just go ahead and "eject" the second copy whenever I connect this drive - doing that doesn't seem to affect the use of the first icon.)

So this is a bit of a mystery, then?

One possibly relevant detail is that the external enclosure (2.5") has two firewire ports. I can't remember why, but it was a selling feature of the enclosure at the time I bought it (a couple of years ago now). Something to do with being able to connect the enclosure to two Macs at the same time. So perhaps this is some oddity of the enclosure.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
One possibly relevant detail is that the external enclosure (2.5") has two firewire ports. I can't remember why, but it was a selling feature of the enclosure at the time I bought it (a couple of years ago now). Something to do with being able to connect the enclosure to two Macs at the same time. So perhaps this is some oddity of the enclosure.

The 2 ports is so that you can daisy chain the drives together. Thats why most Macs only have one FW port, because you can chain multiple devices together.

That part is solved, but the original problem is still a mystery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.