Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hugbees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I'm able to switch between OS:X and Windows by changing it to my default, but when I hold alt during the startup it won't prompt me to choose the OS.

I don't know what could have caused this, but I hope it can be fixed

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
If you have an Apple Remote, try holding down the menu button on your Apple Remote when your Mac boots up. See if that does it for you.

Hugbees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
While that does work, I'd like to know why I can't use alt though.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
What kind of keyboard are both of you using (USB/Bluetooth/built-in if a notebook system)? And is it an Apple keyboard or a non-Apple one?

Hugbees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
its the standard keyboard that came with the iMac, and it used to work for switching into windows but it just doesn't now.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Could it possibly be the option key itself? Set up a custom keyboard shortcut on the Mac OS X side, and see if it works. Do the same on the Windows end. Come to think of it, that may not be a good test because the option key being recognized is part of the bootup process not tied to the OS...Another thought, since I'm putting myself out here, was that maybe a firmware password was set but then you'd get a padlock icon with a field to enter in the password to proceed...I think I'm just rambling now...someone put me out of my misery :D

Hugbees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Could it possibly be the option key itself? Set up a custom keyboard shortcut on the Mac OS X side, and see if it works. Do the same on the Windows end. Come to think of it, that may not be a good test because the option key being recognized is part of the bootup process not tied to the OS...Another thought, since I'm putting myself out here, was that maybe a firmware password was set but then you'd get a padlock icon with a field to enter in the password to proceed...I think I'm just rambling now...someone put me out of my misery :D

Nope neither of them are it :(

I don't get a password, it's just like I'm not hitting the button at all

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I'm able to switch between OS:X and Windows by changing it to my default, but when I hold alt during the startup it won't prompt me to choose the OS.

I don't know what could have caused this, but I hope it can be fixed

Maybe I'm miss-understanding you, but it's Option. You hold down Option at startup.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
for some reason my left button doesnt work all the time, so i always use the right one next to the arrow keys, and it works every time

Hugbees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I still have this problem, I recently Archived And Installed Mac OSX again and that didn't fix it but the key works any other time. I also can't get into safe mode so it seems startup commands overall don't work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.