PDA

View Full Version : Have to buy ANOTHER Apple video adapter


Gus
Sep 30, 2003, 11:30 AM
Well, it's like this, when I got my iBook 800 last year, I had to buy the S-Video/composite video adapter to display in the TV and whatnot. Well, the new 12" PB does not have that adapter included either, and because the new PB has a Mini-DVI port, the old one won't work, so I have to buy another video adapter. My wife's 867 PB came with this adapter (the older style one), and I don't understand why Apple keeps leaving the S-Video one out. It seems fairly important to a 'Power-user" to be able to connect to anything, and I guess I still can IF I buy the extra adapter. I would rather have had this one rather then the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

Oh well, here goes another $20.00 for an adapter. And yes, $20 is a big deal to me. ;)

Regards,
Gus

slowtreme
Sep 30, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Oh well, here goes another $20.00 for an adapter. And yes, $20 is a big deal to me. ;) You bought the budget powerbook, the 12". Companies generaly don't include lots of extras for the people not shelling out the big bucks. Not that the 12"PB is cheap, but it's a hell of a lot less than the 15 and 17. There is a reason the $9,000 msrp toyota comes standard with hubcaps and not aluminum rims like the $40,000 lexus.

Someone else out there was happy not to pay an extra 20 for an adapter they didnt need.

Gus
Sep 30, 2003, 12:24 PM
True, and point taken, but it is still a POWERbook, meaning intended for prosumers and the like. Also, the same model model machine a month ago came with the required adapter, and suddenly they change. Just frustrated that I have to wait for the adapter now. I need it when teaching my classes.

Regards,
Gus

QCassidy352
Sep 30, 2003, 12:44 PM
haha, Gus, I am in exactly the same situation. I had an ibook 600, and at that time, you could do both audio and video out from an ibook using only one cable from the headphone jack. Then I sold that and got an ibook 900 - the headphone jack no longer supports video, so I got the s-video/ composite video cable. But now I'm selling the ibook to buy a powerbook 12"... so it's another $20 for me too.

While we're on the subject, can you tell me exactly what adapter is needed to connect the new 12" to a tv? Is it mini-DVI to S video or something? thanks

Gus
Sep 30, 2003, 01:54 PM
Yes, it's the MiniDVI to S-Video that you want. It's in the "Cables" section on the Apple site, although they don't have a picture of it. I'm sure it just looks like the older ones with the MiniDVI connector though. Glad I'm not the only one. :)

Regards,
Gus

Makosuke
Sep 30, 2003, 02:27 PM
Interesting--this must be a change, because a refurb 12" PB (previous model) I just bought for a friend came with the mini-DVI to video adapter. Huh.

I generally agree, though--it's nice to get stuff like that included (particularly really important parts like a DVI-VGA adapter for the G5s), but in general somebody is going to appreciate not having to pay the $20 for the thing when they don't want it. If apple gave you an option to skip the keyboard/mouse for $50-100 on a tower, for example, I'd be happy to take it and use my old one.

Kwyjibo
Sep 30, 2003, 03:12 PM
the previous model has minivga port not minidvi and it included both adapters ...hes talking about new ones with mini DVI

CrackedButter
Sep 30, 2003, 03:33 PM
Its changing the subject but it niggles me that the 12" doesn't have FW800 considering its a "pro" feature.

Makosuke
Sep 30, 2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
the previous model has minivga port not minidvi and it included both adapters ...hes talking about new ones with mini DVI My bad... being a desktop-only person myself I missed that the old 12" model was VGA-only.

QCassidy352
Sep 30, 2003, 06:43 PM
ok, thanks, I see the one I need. :)

Just to clarify: although it doesn't come with the mini-DVI ---> S-video adapter, the new 12" does come with both a mini-DVI ---> VGA adapter, and a mini-DVI ---> DVI adapter?

fraeone
Sep 30, 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
ok, thanks, I see the one I need. :)

Just to clarify: although it doesn't come with the mini-DVI ---> S-video adapter, the new 12" does come with both a mini-DVI ---> VGA adapter, and a mini-DVI ---> DVI adapter?

Yes, the 12" comes with DVI and VGA adapter cables. There is no extra cost unless you want tv out. I for one think it's cool that you can do all three different styles of video from one plug.

fraeone

Crush-dude
Oct 1, 2003, 05:12 AM
The Apple Mini-DVI to Video adapter isn't still available right away. When I was ordering the Rev. B 12"PBook, I noticed that it missed this adapter and foolishly added it to my order. At that time it was slated at "Early October" availability. I just checked the US. online AppleStore and it was now slated 3-5 business days availability. In European ones I guess it's still "Early October", I learned that they update product availability in the US. store more frequently...

I wonder if they dropped this adapter from the box only to be able to ship/sell 12"PBooks sooner..? Wasn't the Apple's financial quarter up at the end of September as well..?

Oh yeah, and I'm supposed to wait +3 more weeks to receive my order, or rather to get it shipped. (I ordered the week of the Paris keynote.)

*Sigh*

Nermal
Oct 1, 2003, 06:10 AM
Out of interest, is it possible to connect a Power Mac (1.25 GHz G4 to be specific) to a TV?

Gus
Oct 1, 2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Crush-dude
The Apple Mini-DVI to Video adapter isn't still available right away. When I was ordering the Rev. B 12"PBook, I noticed that it missed this adapter and foolishly added it to my order. At that time it was slated at "Early October" availability. I just checked the US. online AppleStore and it was now slated 3-5 business days availability. In European ones I guess it's still "Early October", I learned that they update product availability in the US. store more frequently...

I wonder if they dropped this adapter from the box only to be able to ship/sell 12"PBooks sooner..? Wasn't the Apple's financial quarter up at the end of September as well.

Yeah, I noticed this after I ordered as well. I couldn't figure out why it was going to be be later for a silly adapter, and I'm glad they didn't wait for the adapter to ship before shipping the PowerBooks. Looks like Apple's site says 1-2 days shipping on the adapter now, though. Wierd.

Regards,
Gus

nick.hill
Oct 1, 2003, 08:48 AM
I have had 2 logic boards go on my 8mth old iBook, is this normall, does anyone know if I should really kick up a stink with apple? and if so how and where!

Sorry if this is off topic....