Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Wondering if it makes sense to sell my QS dual 1ghz and get a Mac Mini C2D or upgrade the QS with a faster video card (Ati 9800 pro, about $120 on ebay). The QS already has a fast HD and 1.5gb ram. Looks like either option would be about the same price.

I won't need to upgrade either Mac in the future, it will be the home Mac (A new Mac Pro after 1/15 will be my main Mac at work).

Thanks,
Steve

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
My choice would be Mac Mini. I like its diminutiveness, and it's finally got Core 2 Duo and 1GB ram standard. Might depend on what you're doing with OSX though.

robotnik

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Edmonton, AB
why?

the mac mini is a "home" computer so you'd have 2 "home" computers for....what...obviously you want to do video related things cuz you're thinking of upgrading the card in the G4. what does the mac mini have that the G4 doesnt/can't? That is what you need to ask yerself:)

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Actually I was thinking that upgrading the video card would help with everyday tasks, and this is the cheapest upgrade path. CPU upgrade is over $300 and ram is at 1.5gb. I wouldn't be be doing much video, I'll leave that to the new Mac Pro after 1/15 (hoping).

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Don't put any more money into the QS if you're getting a Mac Pro. Get the Mini. You'll still get a good price on eBay or wherever for the G4.

Blogger

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Local
Don't forget also that the Mac Mini has a warranty. The G4s are starting to get long in the tooth, and they don't last for ever (it just seems that way!).
On the other hand, now that people are jettisoning them, used parts are getting cheap.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
i love the quicksilver, probably my favorite tower ever. but as the OP is for a home computer, the mini is a better choice. except for 3d games.

less power used. less heat. WAY less noise. less space. much faster for normal (home) useage. apple care. etc.

sell the quicksilver, and i bet with your current config, you would end up with half the cost or more of a refurb mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.