PDA

View Full Version : Metallic MacBooks Spotted on Apple Campus

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Dec 13, 2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/12/13/briefly_more_sightings_of_mysterious_metallic_grey_macbooks.html) that "dark grey" or "gunmetal" colored slim notebooks have been spotted at Apple campus.
Though noticeably thinner but otherwise similar in size to the company's 13-inch MacBooks, the notebook appeared to have a metallic sheen to it, which set it apart from the current black MacBook.

The report is reminiscent of a 9to5mac report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/21/slim-aluminum-macbooks-soon/) that indicated that new MacBook enclosures made of black and silver aluminum had previously been spotted by their sources.

Rumors of a sub-notebook laptop have been building as we approach Macworld San Francisco. Our rumor roundup (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/10/apple-ultra-portable-macbook-rumor-roundup/) summarizes the predictions to date.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/13/metallic-macbooks-spotted-on-apple-campus/)

xUKHCx
Dec 13, 2007, 02:59 PM
This thread is nothing without pictures.

Stridder44
Dec 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
Pics or it didn't happen.

LostPacket
Dec 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds promising, but I wouldn't call this a sub-notebook. Unless it's crazy light (i.e. 2 pounds).

I'm surprised they'd let this loose in the "wild" like that. Someone's getting canned.

queshy
Dec 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
Pics or it didn't happen...

ravenvii
Dec 13, 2007, 03:03 PM
If they're moving the MacBooks to aluminum/metallic enclosures, what will they do with the MacBook Pros to set it apart?

Yeah I'm aware that there are other stuff that sets the MBPs apart, but traditionally Apple also separates the consumer/pro models with different enclosures (plastic as opposed to metallic)

Slip
Although I have an imagination, pictures are needed for it to have happened

iToaster
Imagination serves well, but lets see some pics of thin MB(P)s in an elevator...

EDIT: Slip, we think alike.

imac/cheese
Dec 13, 2007, 03:06 PM
On topic: If they're moving the MacBooks to aluminum/metallic enclosures, what will they do with the MacBook Pros to set it apart?

Yeah I'm aware that there are other stuff that sets the MBPs apart, but traditionally Apple also separates the consumer/pro models with different enclosures (plastic as opposed to metallic)

I think that apple has moved away from this tradition. The new iMac is not set apart with its enclosure in anyway.

ibn.
Dec 13, 2007, 03:06 PM
This thread is nothing without pictures.

basically.

but at least they didn't say it was a tablet.

Mike Teezie
Dec 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
Maybe it's because I'm desperately needing a MacPro, but every single time I see a Macbook rumor I grumble to myself like an old curmudgeon.

Trying to be an optimist - maybe the new MacPros will sport a gunmetal finish.

srobert
Dec 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
I'm intrigued what a "gun metal" finish could look like. If true, coming from Apple, I'm sure it will look very nice (might get some used to) and will get imitated by the rest of the industry.

MrT8064
Dec 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
i hope this doesnt turn up untill macworld, cos i got a macbook pro to sell, and i would rather it still look current

Legacy
Dec 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
They will be similar to the old ones, just new design a few maybe new features.

I hate to say it but I am of the opinion that there will not be a superportable on the market yet...just slimmer MacBooks...

chr1s60
Dec 13, 2007, 03:12 PM
It's believable, but I still want pics.

cloudnine
Dec 13, 2007, 03:13 PM
If they're moving the MacBooks to aluminum/metallic enclosures, what will they do with the MacBook Pros to set it apart?

Something tells me that it'll be marketed as a MBP, just a smaller form factor :) They wouldn't release a "consumer laptop" with an aluminum enclosure... but, obviously, that's just my opinion :D

DaBrain
Dec 13, 2007, 03:13 PM

They will move them to the newest grade of plastic!
:D

Although carbon graphite would be cool! :)

Maldini
Dec 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
maybe its a modded MBP..I've seen many with shiny metallic color

cloudnine
Dec 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
basically.

hallelujah and amen ;)

BornAgainMac
Dec 13, 2007, 03:16 PM
Please. Someone photoshop this event for the non-believers.

thesdx
Every day I'm getting more and more excited for Macworld! :D

Jaymes
I'm claiming that I just saw the same computer being carried through Dairy Queen. It said Macbook Nano on it. I hope Appleinsider posts this, as it is TOTALLY legit. :eek:

MrT8064
Dec 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
a tablet is a silly idea in my opinion, you dont want anthing without a keyboard that is bigger than pocketable

Phish311
Dec 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
So i just got the new black macbook a few weeks ago but i guess there is a return policy that lets me take it back until the end of the year. Is there any logic to taking it back and waiting for these to come out or is that too big of a risk since no one seems to really know what is coming?

billystlyes
Dec 13, 2007, 03:19 PM
How many times are we going to rehash that new MacBooks are coming at Macworld? In other news, the sun will come up tomorrow...

Wayfarer
Dec 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
A sexier Macbook must be in order! :eek:

jackc
Dec 13, 2007, 03:20 PM
People walking around with top-secret laptops? Wouldn't they get shot by Apple snipers?

Slip
Dec 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
Imagination serves well, but lets see some pics of thin MB(P)s in an elevator...

EDIT: Slip, we think alike.

Ah the speed at these threads move is annoying ey

kwood
Dec 13, 2007, 03:23 PM
I heard the Matallic MacBooks were spotted in an elevator next to some bald guy in jeans and a black turtle neck yelling boom everytime the elevator went up a floor.

I could be wrong, but thats what I heard.

fewture
Dec 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
One month to go punks, then we will know

When did I become an Apple fanboy? I don't even own a mac yet (only 1 month to go)

Slip
Dec 13, 2007, 03:26 PM
Oh I saw him! He had the MacBook around his neck on a lanyard, kept trying to bow away in the breeze; must be pretty light

Squonk
Dec 13, 2007, 03:28 PM
*sigh*

The is a vacuum of descent rumors this week, so why not? Why no photo of it? Because the RDF interferes with all cameras on :apple: campus! DUH!!!:cool:

nagromme
Dec 13, 2007, 03:29 PM
If true, this sounds like a 13.3" screen, which is the biggest I could deal with. I'm hoping for something smaller, ideally.

It does sound likely that there are multiple laptop products in various stages at Apple, to be released at different times. (And even some that may never leave the labs at all.)

So My hope is for a 9"-12" ultraportable next month, and revised thinner 13" MacBooks later on.

ChrisA
Dec 13, 2007, 03:30 PM

It looks to me Apple has a new way. They are reserving the high end, anti-glare screens for the professional models and using those new glossy screens on consumer models. This makes more sense then using the enclosure material because it reflects the way the two groups use the computer. Consumers use the computers as a media player and don't care much about accurate color fidelity and likely do not even own a colorimeter so Apple gets to save a few bucks on the consumer screens.

It is good that Apple is thinking "function" now and not just looks. Alminumis a very good case material if you are trying to remove heat. The entire case can act as a heat sink

I'm waiting for the day when Apple uses die cast technology to build notebook computers. What this means is that the frame and the covering and most of the little parts inside are all integrated into one solid chunk. This has been done for decades now by companies like Nikon. You can see an example of this here
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300/images/d300-frame.jpg
This pretty much solves any chance of the case warping.

Tom B.
Dec 13, 2007, 03:30 PM
Oh why does Apple make me have to wait till the 15th of January for my Christmas presents!

john7jr
Dec 13, 2007, 03:31 PM
a tablet is a silly idea in my opinion, you dont want anthing without a keyboard that is bigger than pocketable

Exactly, YOU may not want it, but artist and illustrators have been dreaming of such a device for years...

I'm there if it turns out to be a tablet with Wacom features. Sign me up now.

Jaymes
Dec 13, 2007, 03:32 PM
Oh I saw him! He had the MacBook around his neck on a lanyard, kept trying to bow away in the breeze; must be pretty light

No. All you saw was the lanyard, as the MacBook Invis is so ultraportable that in order to actually be seen by a third-party, you need to be in a dimly lit room; the glowing Apple is the only telltale sign that you are even using a computer at all.

runplaysleeprun
Dec 13, 2007, 03:33 PM
MacBook Pro Mini?

tom123
Dec 13, 2007, 03:36 PM
Can the new sub notebook use flash memory and a hard drive?

Since flash is still so $$$$.

Maybie have the system in flash for fast bootup and the hard drive for lots of space.

MarlboroLite
Dec 13, 2007, 03:38 PM
This smells like a 13 inch Macbook Pro to me....:rolleyes:

termite
Dec 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
People walking around with top-secret laptops? Wouldn't they get shot by Apple snipers?

Yes they would. My understanding is that the engineers have offices with doors specifically so that they can work on stuff behind a door, and they are required to lock all prototypes away before opening the door.

Mac-Addict
Dec 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
Oh why does Apple make me have to wait till the 15th of January for my Christmas presents!

What.. Macworld is on the 15th? WOWZERS! My Birthday!!!!!!!!!!! xD (I havent been following Apple that much in the past few weeks but WOW!)

Hatchet
Dec 13, 2007, 03:40 PM
So basically it's a 13" Macbook Pro look-a-like.

miketcool
Dec 13, 2007, 03:41 PM
Gun metal? Don't you mean CARBON FIBER?
That would be one slick and light puppy!

LostPacket
Dec 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
So i just got the new black macbook a few weeks ago but i guess there is a return policy that lets me take it back until the end of the year. Is there any logic to taking it back and waiting for these to come out or is that too big of a risk since no one seems to really know what is coming?

I guess it would depend on your budget. If you were in the market for a Macbook in the first place, I think you're safe to keep it. They were just updated, so I doubt you see a refresh any time soon.

I'm in need a MBP, so I'm waiting. A sub-notebook would also probably be in the MBP price range (I says no to those $1500 rumors).

shadowmoses
Dec 13, 2007, 03:49 PM
Its gonna happen, the white macbook is the last remaining white product in the apple range. Can't wait to see what these suckers look like!!

ShadoW

Shadow
Dec 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
I call BS. Walking around campus with an unreleased product? Yeah, ok, whatever :rolleyes:

Peace
Dec 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Sounds like Apple is ramping up it's RDF in preparation for MWSF2008.
This Mac spotted was more than likely a prop designed for this purpose.

rockthecasbah
Dec 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
Sounds excellent bring it on! (These rumors just keep getting better and better)

Shagrat
Dec 13, 2007, 03:55 PM
How many times are we going to rehash that new MacBooks are coming at Macworld? In other news, the sun will come up tomorrow...

Bet'cha bottom dollar that tomorrow....:D

Jaymes
Dec 13, 2007, 03:55 PM
Can the new sub notebook use flash memory and a hard drive?

Since flash is still so $$$$.

Maybie have the system in flash for fast bootup and the hard drive for lots of space.

Yes they could. Dell is actually already planning on including these in some of their systems. You can see more about hybrid drives at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive

MrCrowbar
Dec 13, 2007, 03:56 PM
Gun metal? Don't you mean CARBON FIBER?
That would be one slick and light puppy!

And it would look pretty awesome too. I don't know how good heat dissipation work and whether it's too flammable to use in a device prone to short circuits and battery fire. I mean, carbon fiber burns fast, right?

Surely, a Carbon fiber - titanium case would be a killer combination. Titanium frame (like the iBooks) with some carbon around it, available in gun black, bathtub white and transparent (carbon fiber) finish. Awesome!

amac4me
Dec 13, 2007, 03:58 PM
I think MacWorld will be a major Mac event this year. We're likely to see new Mac Pro models, new Cinema Displays, and new portables - MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Unlike the 2007 event which focused on the iPhone, Apple will direct more attention to the Mac in 2008 and it all starts at MacWorld.

Bring it on. :D:D

mac821
Dec 13, 2007, 04:03 PM
hope this is true...

AoWolf
Dec 13, 2007, 04:04 PM
Well I agree this thread is nothing without pictures its worth noting:

Maybe apple told someone to walk around with one to cause buzz.

Remember the iPhone pictures on flicker? Sure we knew about the iPhone back then, but it was still floating around with employs.

Thataboy
Dec 13, 2007, 04:06 PM
My guess...

They are revamping the whole Macbook Pro line to be this new gunmetal/carbon fiber/whatever look, and simply adding back the small Pro model (which would make sense around $1500).

I've been itching to buy a Macbook, but I know to hold off for another month!

CANEHDN
Dec 13, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think it would be cool if they used the current iMac looks on the laptops.

TheBonk
Dec 13, 2007, 04:15 PM
I highly doubt someone actually saw one at the Apple campus. Anyone can say, I saw the new Macbook at the Apple campus. Why would Apple, of all companies, let a unreleased model leak like this, on thier own campus? This is the company that showed fake iPhones to phone carriers that we're talking about.

ebow
I think it would be cool if they used the current iMac looks on the laptops.

Then it would be an iMacBook Pro mini, right? :D

ATG
I hope so. I've wanted this for ages. And it would make sense with the iMac's move to black/aluminium. However, I'm guessing that with the right lighting a white macbook or a macbook pro at a distance could easily be mistaken for a aluminium macbook.

olternaut
Dec 13, 2007, 04:17 PM

in your opinion! :mad: But I agree without a keyboard that is bigger than poketable.

Darkroom
Dec 13, 2007, 04:17 PM
Maybe it's because I'm desperately needing a MacPro, but every single time I see a Macbook rumor I grumble to myself like an old curmudgeon.

Trying to be an optimist - maybe the new MacPros will sport a gunmetal finish.

tell me about it... especially since MacBook was JUST updated

tuneman07
Dec 13, 2007, 04:26 PM
I saw someone with an Apple chip in their brain, it actually turns your brain into a hard drive with a core 2 duo processor. You get a USB port behind your ear too. Seriously, I saw it.

InkMaster
Dec 13, 2007, 04:27 PM
Great... as if the BlackBook/DellBook isn't ugly enough already - lets get all the other cheesy colors :/

olternaut
Dec 13, 2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe as a group we could all chip in to hire a detective agency to keep the apple campus under surveilance?? :confused:

Sijmen
Dec 13, 2007, 04:32 PM
I found this image on the internets:

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/world-first-carbon-fiber-macbook-3.jpg

If it really is a metallic MacBook, let's call it the MacBook Faraday

doo-hik-ee
Dec 13, 2007, 04:39 PM
This isn't exactly metallic, but it is a sub-notebook and it's better than nothing...

http://maartenbrinkerink.net/blog/files/macbookmini.jpg

From here (http://maartenbrinkerink.net/blog/?content=detail&id=174).

zlinger
Dec 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
Maybe this is a new strategy that Apple is using to start building up excitement for a product release. Subliminal laptop carries around Cupertino. I am so in the market for a 12" to 13" Mac Book (Pro), and the speculated gun-metallic sounds slick. It would be good to see some pics though -- even if photoshop'd just to bring back the positive aura leading up to the iPhone announcement:)

queshy
Dec 13, 2007, 04:42 PM
Ok everyone, I was walking up the stairs to get to the elevator, and as I was walking up I saw none other than Mr. Ballmer himself walking down the stairs just coming out of the elevator with what appears to be the MacBook Nano.

koobcamuk
Dec 13, 2007, 04:42 PM

Lol - en of the year? Are you joking? No way mate. And what "risk" are you talking about? Just be happy with what you have.

DanMan2000
Dec 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
...augh! I am late to this discussion.... But I think I saw the a new thinner macbook while in the elevator at the Apple campus.... well..... if I ever went to the Apple campus that is what I think I would see.....

I will Photoshop what I think I saw.... :D

Stridder44
Dec 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
What.. Macworld is on the 15th? WOWZERS! My Birthday!!!!!!!!!!! xD (I havent been following Apple that much in the past few weeks but WOW!)

Jan. 15th? Hey my Birthday too! Pimpin!

ezekielrage_99
Dec 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
Now for the Where's Wally of Macbook rumors.... I really want to see some of those elevator pictures to prove to me that it exsists :rolleyes:

swagi
Dec 13, 2007, 04:51 PM
I found this image on the internets:

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/world-first-carbon-fiber-macbook-3.jpg

If it really is a metallic MacBook, let's call it the MacBook Faraday

this pic looks like a really cool modded iBook. Could be my eyes, but if you ask me, this thing has an 4:3 aspect ratio.

Anyone remember that really cool dragon TiBook mod?

mag2001
Dec 13, 2007, 04:54 PM
now i really want to sell my MBP:confused:

TimTheEnchanter
Dec 13, 2007, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, I have a direct link to a live satellite..... hold-on..... acquiring Apple Campus now.... anyone see anything?

ClassicMac247
Dec 13, 2007, 04:59 PM
we want pics!

queshy
Dec 13, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, I have a direct link to a live satellite..... hold-on..... acquiring Apple Campus now.... anyone see anything?

The only thing I can make out is the iCar...

emotion
Dec 13, 2007, 05:09 PM
If this Intel Metro turned out to be close then I'm there. Esp if it's slightly more rounded, in black aluminium.

http://blog.dotkam.com/wp-content/uploadhere/2007/fckeditor/intel_metro(2).png

Something weird about the trackpad (rumour on 9to5mac.com)? Maybe the screen on the back of the Metro concept is a touch screen - explaining the tablet rumours too?

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/andrew/5_apr07/concept_laptop_2.jpg

eyemac74119
Dec 13, 2007, 05:14 PM

2 words CARBON FIBER :-)

pics or it didnt happen agreed

eyemac74119
Dec 13, 2007, 05:16 PM
now i really want to sell my MBP:confused:

how much>? i need a mac

celloman
yesssss!!! now this is what im talking about!

MrCrowbar
iPhone screen on the back of the display. Simple, yet genious. Displays a white apple when lid is open. Displays a simplified interface for e-Mail, IM, browsing when closed.

Would look ugly maybe

QuarterSwede
Dec 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
I don't know why everyone likes the carbon fiber look. I think it's gaudy and lacks elegance and sophistication.

Potus
Dec 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
Please, don't let the new MacBook be a gloomy graphite or black. I have an OLD powerbook somewhere that had that look: a windoze wannabe look.

twoodcc
Dec 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
yeah, where are the pics?

QuarterSwede
Dec 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
Please, don't let the new MacBook be a gloomy graphite or black. I have an OLD powerbook somewhere that had that look: a windoze wannabe look.
I figure it'll be very close to what the iPod Touch looks like around the screen. In person it's very nice.

Gun Metal anyone?
http://images.apple.com/ipodtouch/images/hero_overview_20070905.png

swearbymac07
Dec 13, 2007, 05:25 PM
Well, I hope it happens because that will really shut Microsoft up about "Windows 7 in 2010 will blow away iPhone Touch Features", what, will they make the animations slightly faster?? the iphone is already good but animations are simple, yet effective :D. Then apple!!! YOU NEED to give Mac OS X a reno. Not Mac OS X mini, Mac OS X big. Make the whole OS touch based in the style of the iPhone but with everything, eg: System Pref touch, Dock touch, Finder touch etc... NOW THAT would really shut Microsoft up.

I used to have a PC. I hated it. It was $2500, by the end i spent over $4500 fixing it.

I now own a Mac. I love it. It was $2100, now i have spent only $100 dollars extra. Buying a game for enjoyment.

Schtumple
Dec 13, 2007, 05:29 PM

Reminds me of a zune :p

Seriously though, I'd like to see a macbook in the iPod classic colours, the silver is a bit cheesy but the black is classy.

BWhaler
Dec 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'd really love to buy this, but I am just not optimistic about Rev A or Rev B given Apple's horrific quality problems of late.

I am a big supporter and customer of Apple, so I hate to harp like this.

But the trust is gone now, and I am no longer comfortable being an early adopter. (Although I did for the iPhone, of which that has been swapped out twice because the screen lost touch sensitivity.)

Anyway, if true, this will fill a big whole in the Apple line. I just hope Apple can nail the quality...

wHo_tHe
Dec 13, 2007, 05:31 PM
Here's what I wish for:

tacojohn
Dec 13, 2007, 05:35 PM
Pic or it didn't happen...

http://homepage.mac.com/ellenich/.Pictures/MacBookmini.jpg

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 13, 2007, 05:43 PM
Honestly, I think all this rumor crap is leading up to is an aluminum replacement to the macbook, simple as that. It will probably be very similar to the macbook except maybe better battery life, flash stick in conjunction with a hdd, and maybe (AND I REALLY STRESS MAYBE!) a dedicated video card, also they will have LED displays and be slightly thinner. Probably in black and silver aluminum. I cant wait, this is what Ive been wanting because the current macbook case is a POS in the highest form. :cool:

By the way, that picture above is awesome. Reminds me of the tibook except thinner and better. Love it.

koobcamuk
Dec 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/andrew/5_apr07/concept_laptop_2.jpg

Try using that in Manchester!

Here's what I wish for:

Are you joking?

ezekielrage_99
Dec 13, 2007, 05:57 PM

I used to be an Imagery Intelligence Officer, all I can say is that the Macbook in question isn't on the roof.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 13, 2007, 06:02 PM
I highly doubt someone actually saw one at the Apple campus. Anyone can say, I saw the new Macbook at the Apple campus. Why would Apple, of all companies, let a unreleased model leak like this, on thier own campus? This is the company that showed fake iPhones to phone carriers that we're talking about.

And if you did see one on campus what would you do? I would run up and check it out man, or I would run up to the guy/girl and snap a pic with my phone. This rumor sounds like BS or their source is someone in Apple marketing just fueling the hype. If this came from an average joe walking around on campus who saw it, you better believe we'd have a pic especially if the guy or girl is into mac rumor sites, which it sounds like whoever told appleinsider, was. Because they made the effort to call or email it in. You see? Smells like BS to me, probably from Apple marketing. As much traffic as these rumor sights get, you better believe Apple trickles things in for their own benefit. Thats just smart business, and common sense.

emotion
Dec 13, 2007, 06:04 PM
Try using that in Manchester!

True but inside it would be good...maybe.

janstett
Dec 13, 2007, 06:06 PM
It is good that Apple is thinking "function" now and not just looks. Alminumis a very good case material if you are trying to remove heat. The entire case can act as a heat sink

That was one of the hardest things for me to get used to when I first got my Macbook Pro. When I'd come into my den in the morning it was FREEZING COLD and after a few hours of use especially in the summer it was SCALDING HOT. Virtually the entire computer.

GQB
Dec 13, 2007, 06:15 PM

When did I become an Apple fanboy? I don't even own a mac yet (only 1 month to go)

I was always puzzled by the phrase 'Apple fanboy', until I realized that it simply refers to someone who enjoys (as opposed to tolerating) their platform. Which explains why there are no Windows fanboys.

Wear the label with pride.

CRAZYBUBBA
Dec 13, 2007, 06:16 PM
I heard the Metallic MacBooks were spotted in an elevator next to some balding guy in jeans and a black turtle neck yelling boom everytime the elevator went up a floor.

Fixed your post

MacFly123
Dec 13, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm intrigued what a "gun metal" finish could look like. If true, coming from Apple, I'm sure it will look very nice (might get some used to) and will get imitated by the rest of the industry.

I would say its the same metal that frames the iPod Touch :)

Yankees 4 Life
Dec 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
i dont believe it

MikeTheC
Dec 13, 2007, 06:24 PM
I heard the Matallic MacBooks were spotted in an elevator next to some bald guy in jeans and a black turtle neck yelling boom everytime the elevator went up a floor.

I could be wrong, but thats what I heard.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5313/sarcasmdetected01xs9.png

mward333
Dec 13, 2007, 06:30 PM
Ok everyone, I was walking up the stairs to get to the elevator, and as I was walking up I saw none other than Mr. Ballmer himself walking down the stairs just coming out of the elevator with what appears to be the MacBook Nano.

Funniest post I've read all day! Wonderful!!

RoboCop001
Dec 13, 2007, 06:31 PM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7028/sarcasmdetected01cx8.png

Space........... the final frontier.........
These are the voyages of the- oh forget it...

zakee00
Dec 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
Doubt it happened.

That doesn't mean I can't hope it happened :)

And yeah I agree with tacojohn and his picture- no moving parts is a pretty big selling point.

queshy
Dec 13, 2007, 06:36 PM
Pic or it didn't happen...

http://homepage.mac.com/ellenich/.Pictures/MacBookmini.jpg

Nice mockup!!! good job.

Data
Dec 13, 2007, 06:38 PM
Space........... the final frontier.........
These are the voyages of the- oh forget it...

Looking at your nick i suddenly thougt of the sentens " So you think your pretty smart huh, think you can out smart a bullet ?" If i remember correctly thats from a robocop movie and was later sampled by Silver bullet , in the track, 20 seconds to comply ;-) .

bluedevil14
Dec 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone else on the need for pics, but I can definitely see the black and silver happening because it would fit perfectly with Apple's new look. Although I'm not sure how two different colors would look on an Apple laptop.

offwidafairies
Dec 13, 2007, 06:50 PM
pics would be great. i'd love to find a reason to buy another laptop or sub notebook!

MrCrowbar
Dec 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
I agree with pretty much everyone else on the need for pics, but I can definitely see the black and silver happening because it would fit perfectly with Apple's new look. Although I'm not sure how two different colors would look on an Apple laptop.

Well, black and metal seem to work nicely on the iPhone, iPod Touch, iMac... :)

Dobiewonkanobie
Dec 13, 2007, 07:04 PM
Couldn't they just be "choppered" Macbooks? I mean think about it. You got thousands of computer geeks all toting the same laptops around. I'm sure there are guys who are gonna supe up the looks of there's to stand apart.

motulist
Dec 13, 2007, 07:49 PM
Appearance is usually used by Apple to differentiate its lower end offerings from its higher end ones. So a very metallic appearance indicates that it's probably gonna be a high end product, and expensive.

Potus
Dec 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
Reminds me of a zune :p

Seriously though, I'd like to see a macbook in the iPod classic colours, the silver is a bit cheesy but the black is classy.

Black is just too batchelor pad: black leather couches, huge black tv, decor of beer mugs and wine bottles, Foozball table in the corner. ugh.

psychofreak
Dec 13, 2007, 07:51 PM
Appearance is usually used by Apple to differentiate its lower end offerings from its higher end ones. So a very metallic appearance indicates that it's probably gonna be a high end product, and expensive.

The three desktop Macs are using aluminium...as are all the iPods...

In fact, the aluminium keyboard comes with the iMac, not the Mac Pro, so metal is hardly an indication of 'pro' any more...

mdriftmeyer
Dec 13, 2007, 08:02 PM
I would say its the same metal that frames the iPod Touch :)

http://www.rainydaymagazine.com/RDM2006/RainyDayGarage/PorscheFest/GrayBig.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb316/TheMadDutchman/IMG_0455.jpg

Two such examples of Gun Metal Gray but with a glossy finish. Most likely an anodized metal finish will be different.

http://dundee.gumtree.com/posting_images/88/12449988__1186956566__1__2-ac5df4d81d893aa7d1eedea2d6f99abe.__big__.jpg

Wild-Bill
Dec 13, 2007, 08:07 PM
In other news there were NO sightings of an updated Mac Pro anywhere on the Apple Campus. And the Mac Pro design team office appeared to have been deserted for quite some time.

:rolleyes:

amrk47
Dec 13, 2007, 08:10 PM
In other news there were NO sightings of an updated Mac Pro anywhere on the Apple Campus. And the Mac Pro design team office appeared to have been deserted for quite some time.

thats because they are not redesiging the case

just simple processor and graphic hard drive updates

Hatchet
Dec 13, 2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.wireless.att.com/global/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/blackberry_8310_silver_l.gif

Well at least it will match my Blackberry! :)

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 13, 2007, 08:33 PM

Would you like to bet on that? I've been on this website for some time now, and every time a rumor like this gets hot it usually happens. And the timing is perfect as well. I guarantee you we will see a new Apple laptop design in the very near future. :)

Wild-Bill
Dec 13, 2007, 08:56 PM
Would you like to bet on that? I've been on this website for some time now, and every time a rumor like this gets hot it usually happens. And the timing is perfect as well. I guarantee you we will see a new Apple laptop design in the very near future. :)

I was talking about the MAC PRO. :rolleyes:

sdschwendener
Dec 13, 2007, 08:57 PM

Ok... But he was talking about the mac pro, not the MacBook pro.
I've been on this website a little while now to and I love it when people see mac pro and think laptop...

zakee00
Dec 13, 2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.wireless.att.com/global/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/blackberry_8310_silver_l.gif

Well at least it will match my Blackberry! :)

treason! buy an iPhone :D

hehe

tMac85
Dec 13, 2007, 09:05 PM
this has got to be the worst electronic device/ computer i have ever seen
what is it 1995 again?

Here's what I wish for:

mitchellm
Dec 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
i was going to post this in the roundup rumor thread but this seems more fitting. i got this mag in the mail the other day. notice the macbook top right listed as 13", and selling for $1,499. The latch looked new also, or is that the current macbook latch? Of course the color and aluminum casing. Word check it out.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 13, 2007, 09:22 PM
I was talking about the MAC PRO. :rolleyes:

Oops, thought you meant the Mac BOOK Pro, because this thread is on the laptop rumors. I see now what you meant, haha har har.

Hatchet
Dec 13, 2007, 09:30 PM
http://www.nrlmedia.com/images/macbook-gunmetal.jpg

Here is my try at what it would look like.

I made it slimmer, I increased the screen size and I made it gunmetal-ish.

I tried to put the aluminum keyboard in there but it didn't work out well.

Let me know what you think.

celloman
Dec 13, 2007, 09:30 PM
i was going to post this in the roundup rumor thread but this seems more fitting. i got this mag in the mail the other day. notice the macbook top right listed as 13", and selling for $1,499. The latch looked new also, or is that the current macbook latch? Of course the color and aluminum casing. Word check it out.

thats cuz the mb is the black one which sells for 1499

gifford
Dec 13, 2007, 09:42 PM
Here is you new Apple Ultra Portable designed by Jonny Ive's wife

http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197602874.jpg

gifford
Dec 13, 2007, 09:44 PM
And the new Macbook (not quite as slim as reports suggested)
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197603478.jpg

ibookos9
Dec 13, 2007, 09:44 PM
cool:p

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 13, 2007, 09:49 PM

What happened to the video camera?

Hatchet
Dec 13, 2007, 09:52 PM
What happened to the video camera?

I knew I forgot something.

Quillz
Dec 13, 2007, 09:53 PM
Something tells me that it'll be marketed as a MBP, just a smaller form factor :) They wouldn't release a "consumer laptop" with an aluminum enclosure... but, obviously, that's just my opinion :D
Just like they'd never release consumer desktops like the Mac mini and iMac with aluminum enclosures, right?

gifford
Dec 13, 2007, 09:55 PM
Oh and the iDog

http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197604479.jpg

Rocketman
Dec 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
I want to know if the Apple campus is eminating wimax signals :)

Rocketman

gkarris
Dec 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
Who "saw" this? The Apple Paparazzi?

Don't forget about that crashed ship outside of Roswell, New Mexico...

Quillz
Dec 13, 2007, 10:13 PM
And it would look pretty awesome too. I don't know how good heat dissipation work and whether it's too flammable to use in a device prone to short circuits and battery fire. I mean, carbon fiber burns fast, right?

Surely, a Carbon fiber - titanium case would be a killer combination. Titanium frame (like the iBooks) with some carbon around it, available in gun black, bathtub white and transparent (carbon fiber) finish. Awesome!
The iBook has never had a titanium chassis, only the 15'' PowerBook G4 did. And it wasn't all that great, frankly. Titanium nets you terrible Wi-Fi reception, and the paint didn't stick to it, either. Aluminum is better for portable computers.

gifford
Dec 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
and the iSlipper (I'l get my coat)
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197605983.jpg

zlinger
Dec 13, 2007, 10:20 PM
The new MacType Pro running Leopard
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3669/mactypeqe9.jpg

Quillz
Dec 13, 2007, 10:21 PM
Mac users swear by their mac, PC users, swear at their PC.

cheers

swearbymac07
No.

luminosity
Dec 13, 2007, 10:22 PM

Change it to PowerBook G5, and you've got it.

gifford
Dec 13, 2007, 10:25 PM

LOL! quality

xpisnotforme
Dec 13, 2007, 10:25 PM
Exactly, YOU may not want it, but artist and illustrators have been dreaming of such a device for years...

I'm there if it turns out to be a tablet with Wacom features. Sign me up now.

why do people pipe in with 'tablet' on every thread about an 'ultraportable macbook?' Is it because it is another rumor or does it go back to whoever made up the ultraportable rumor to begin with and his chat buddy was like, 'Dude no way, Apple's gonna invent a tablet!' and this is just the eternal feedback echo of a conversation from decades ago between two drugged up wackos?

You say apple i say banana:confused:

xpisnotforme
Dec 13, 2007, 10:28 PM
Nice mockup!!! good job.

awesome!!!! i wish

Macula
Dec 13, 2007, 11:07 PM
It was just a Macbook whose battery had exploded.

Rivix
Dec 13, 2007, 11:43 PM

Ooooo very nice! I'll take one.

TimTheEnchanter
Dec 14, 2007, 12:01 AM
LOL! Hatchet, looks like we both used the same base image. Well, here's mine! :D

NYCMacFan
Dec 14, 2007, 12:32 AM

You may want to consider it. If for no other reason that you can return it and worse case buy it again.

I assume the new one will be pricer, even than the black. But the black will be closer in price making the new one potentially worth it...

NYCMacFan
Dec 14, 2007, 12:48 AM
Here is a quick sense of what you can do. This is an old Sharp Actius PC-UM20 I still use (I think its the UM20)from 2001. Like 2-3 lbs.

This is a fully functioning computer. I believe the screen is 10 inches (it is dimensionally the same as the ibook 12inch as there was a lot of unused screen area). It has a few ports and two usb ports. No floppy or HDD naturally. See quarter between the two computers for a sense of the thickness of each. This laptop was so thin it had one of those keyboards that slid down when you closed the case (worked well actually).

I still have it and it works nicely (as a desktop ironically now plugged into a 32inch widescreen with external wireless keyboard and mouse).

As this is 6 years old laptop, we have a good sense that Apple should be able to do the same at the very least. Surely we have not regressed in 6 years...

TurboSC
Dec 14, 2007, 01:12 AM
I don't think I've been this excited for a laptop in quite some time.

Now this little story comes around.... I can't wait to see this thing... I hope they leak a shot soon :P

Cloudsurfer
Dec 14, 2007, 02:06 AM
I would actually be quite happy if this turns out to be a regular MacBook, especially if the base model now has a SuperDrive. On the other hand, the MacBook has just been updated. It would suck for those who just bought a SR MacBook.

EagerDragon
Dec 14, 2007, 04:59 AM
My only concern with these metallic systems is their lower sensitivity to wifi signals.

I maybe wrong, but I seem to remember reports of the MacBooks being more sensitive than the metallic MacBook PRO units.

Is this not an issue?

Sijmen
Dec 14, 2007, 05:20 AM
Reception with my alu PowerBook is horrible. The iBook was much, much better. I'm pretty sure the same thing counts for the current MacBook and MacBook Pro.

MrCrowbar
Dec 14, 2007, 06:17 AM
The iBook has never had a titanium chassis, only the 15'' PowerBook G4 did. And it wasn't all that great, frankly. Titanium nets you terrible Wi-Fi reception, and the paint didn't stick to it, either. Aluminum is better for portable computers.

I was talking about the frame; That's where the chassis is screwed on to.
Anyway Titanium for the outer finish wouldn't look too bad. Most piercings are titanium, my watch is too. Looks like aluminum, just a tad darker, more blue-ish.

Cloudane
Dec 14, 2007, 06:22 AM
Even if there were pics it still wouldn't be enough...

Pics *and a removal notice from Apple* or it didn't happen :D

Not sure I like the idea of gunmetal, what's next, brown? Yeech.

[QUOTE=gifford;4615163]and the iSlipper (I'l get my coat)

iCoat, surely?

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2007, 06:23 AM
I would actually be quite happy if this turns out to be a regular MacBook, especially if the base model now has a SuperDrive. On the other hand, the MacBook has just been updated. It would suck for those who just bought a SR MacBook.

Me too tbh, I don't want a ultra portable sub notebook thing that has crippled hardware, I'd much rather have a Macbook Pro in a Macbook shell.

emotion
Dec 14, 2007, 06:30 AM
Reception with my alu PowerBook is horrible. The iBook was much, much better. I'm pretty sure the same thing counts for the current MacBook and MacBook Pro.

My Macbook and Macbook Pro machines are roughly equivalent in terms of wifi reception.

My 12" powerbook was never that bad but my colleagues ibooks were always a little better.

takao
Dec 14, 2007, 06:46 AM
an apple product in a new fancy color ? watch the rumor sites explode with comments

;)

Tousiger
Dec 14, 2007, 07:16 AM

Haha... exactly same as you :D

Hourrah :apple: !!!

Getting my shiny new MacBook Pro right after I come back from MacWorld :rolleyes:

Tousiger
Dec 14, 2007, 07:19 AM
This smells like a 13 inch Macbook Pro to me....:rolleyes:

*hopes and pray* Alleluiah :)

MikeTheC
Dec 14, 2007, 07:44 AM
Well, it looks like Apple's putting out some kind of thinner-than-previous notebook; however I sure hope it's simply a product of miniaturization and not an "ultra-portable", lacking optical drive, etc. Having had to do tech support for ultra-portables, I think people have gotta have something wrong with them to want one of these things.

Besides, why would you want an LCD that small?!?

JFreak
Dec 14, 2007, 07:49 AM
Exciting rumor, but it's still bogus. Sorry...

emotion
Dec 14, 2007, 07:56 AM
Exciting rumor, but it's still bogus. Sorry...

No need to apologise now. Wait until the 15th :)

I think these rumours could have some basis in truth but only time will tell. I admit though that a small very thin compact MBP is just the machine I've been looking for for 2 years (I've had a macbook and SR MBP).

bushman1
Dec 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
the appeal of ametal mac book is ok. It is encroching on the pro line. It will be hard to duffercanate between a MacBook pro and macbook. This could reduce some of apples easlg disgishuable computers. Cyrenly the macmini is the on metal and plastic the new MacBooks will prolly be comparable to it. New pacpeos is where my heart lies.

emotion
Dec 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
the appeal of ametal mac book is ok. It is encroching on the pro line. It will be hard to duffercanate between a MacBook pro and macbook. This could reduce some of apples easlg disgishuable computers. Cyrenly the macmini is the on metal and plastic the new MacBooks will prolly be comparable to it. New pacpeos is where my heart lies.

I think this is a small MBP, with matching price. Not a macbook.

Cloudane
Dec 14, 2007, 08:34 AM
With this many rumours, it has to be true. In the unlikely event that it isn't, there would be a lot of disappointed people so I strongly suspect Apple would do some rapid development and produce something along the lines of what people are expecting. Therefore, in the end, it'll be true whether or not it was to begin with.

I'm also of the camp that would prefer to see just a thin MacBook Pro (or MacBook) to essentially replace the 12" that went missing on the switch to Intel, and don't really get the whole ultraportable idea. A notebook should be a notebook, a PDA should be a PDA.

I wouldn't mind seeing something rather like the "LCARS PADD" things they used in Star Trek though - about the size of a paperback but thin, multitouch, full OS (with the obvious GUI changes) etc. Bigger than a PDA/iPhone but using the general PDA form.

{Rose}Come on Steve, can't you give me some Spock, just once in your life?{/Rose}

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
Huh...metallic MB huh. IS anyone else getting bored with the whole metal design? Don't get me wrong I like it but the MBP's design seems to be a little too sparse for my taste. I personally miss the hard drive light on the system. Apple could at least put such a light behind the speakers grill or do something similar to the iSight light. That is a very useful indicator. How about biometrics in the touchpad? Rid the world of passwords Apple. Please? Personally I think this should have been a new feature for 10.5 with all new Macs sporting this feature out of the box.
I keep pounding this point and I know a lot of you are rolling your eyes but I will continue to ask....where in the innovation? The design of the MBP\PowerBook hasn't really changed in a decade...I think its about a decade. Its the same as OS X. Tweaks to the design, but that is all. This is what is driving me nuts with Apple. People scream innovative company....what? Once every 15 years with a collective total of changes can they claim innovation? Apple has a monstrous amount of money in its coffers. There is simply no reason to expect the status quo from Apple anymore. IMHO, we should be expecting more out of them as consumers. Apple fans be damned....I'm a consumer and a geek. I want to see hardware pushed to the edge dang it. I want bleeding out of my eye sockets when I walk into an Apple store and look at the high end segment of their wares.
Heck even Dell has a high end desktop replacement unit that has SLI and duel mobile processors. Its a monster system buts its designed as a desktop replacement period....this decade's luggable with every possible bell and whistle. Where's the high end Apple. Don't tell me that there aren't people out there that could really use something with some serious horsepower under the hood. Not to say the high end MBP doesn't have some kick but lets be honest here. Its a compromise machine for battery life\thermal design\size\performance.
I guess what it comes down to is that I would love to see the Apple of old again. Take a few risks with your damn designs. That's what real innovators do. They take a chance that something MIGHT be unpopular but revolutionary. Where is my Apple of old? :(

TimTheEnchanter
Dec 14, 2007, 08:57 AM
Marketing changed the message slightly. Here's the new ad.... :D

mashinhead
Dec 14, 2007, 09:56 AM
i call shenanigans. apple likes to have product consistency and there is usually at least a 2 year gap between redesigns if not longer. I think a darker grey aluminum macbook would be cool (especially if it had a red backlight for the keyboard) but i don't think it will happen. if you want an idea of the direction they will go in look at the most recently designed products. the iphone and the imac, both of which use the standard aluminum. I wouldn't expect a darker macbook, but i would expect to see some shiny black bezel in there.

gifford
Dec 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
A color screen touch pad. Been thinking about this concept today, could be useful. it could replace the numeric data entry part of ya keyboard.
Use same underlying technology as iphone to save on costs.
View widgets on it. a calculator and other basic stuff.
Could do with being angled slightly.
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197647361.jpg

noriyori
Dec 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
basically.

:rolleyes: I'd love to see a tablet...

anyway, It's probably just a metallic paint job like one of these:
http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-30-macbook.aspx

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
A color screen touch pad. Been thinking about this concept today, could be useful. it could replace the numeric data entry part of ya keyboard.
Use same underlying technology as iphone to save on costs.
View widgets on it. a calculator and other basic stuff.
Could do with being angled slightly.
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197647361.jpg

Been there seen that....granted in the one case I saw it was a hacked variant. Someone had a color passive reflective touchpad in their laptop. Set to display number of e-mails, CPU info, memory info, HD info, etc. It was a Linux based laptop though, so I'm not overly surprised. However why do Mac users torture themselves with this crap. You know that Apple will NEVER push the edge with such a design. Remember folks. Status Quo...don't rock the boat. Profits over innovation. Make what sells not what pushes the industry forward.

Yes I'm a pessimistic person. I've not seen anything to be optimistic about. Not for a while at least. iPhone? yah whatever. Has nothing to do with their computer line. Apple TV? Computers? Nope...next. iPod....Computers? Nope. Next. I really have to ask this. Not as a flame but a legit question. Does Apple even care about their computer line anymore beyond simple refreshes?

RoboCop001
Dec 14, 2007, 10:22 AM
Looking at your nick i suddenly thougt of the sentens " So you think your pretty smart huh, think you can out smart a bullet ?" If i remember correctly thats from a robocop movie and was later sampled by Silver bullet , in the track, 20 seconds to comply ;-) .

Haha, yeah it's from the first movie. The only good one of the 3.

Your nickname makes my angry that they ever released Star Trek Nemesis lol

TimTheEnchanter
Dec 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know about the gunmetal thing.... I think Apple is missing the Bling Boat if they don't do THIS! (http://www.computer-choppers.com/gallery-gmbp.htm) I could use an iGrill and a set of iDUBS this Christmas and that MBP would be the bomb dawg! :cool:

notjustjay
Dec 14, 2007, 10:43 AM

And this, folks, is exactly why we shouldn't make the keyboard too small. :D

gifford
Dec 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
Been there seen that....granted in the one case I saw it was a hacked variant. Someone had a color passive reflective touchpad in their laptop. Set to display number of e-mails, CPU info, memory info, HD info, etc. It was a Linux based laptop though, so I'm not overly surprised. However why do Mac users torture themselves with this crap. You know that Apple will NEVER push the edge with such a design. Remember folks. Status Quo...don't rock the boat. Profits over innovation. Make what sells not what pushes the industry forward.

Yes I'm a pessimistic person. I've not seen anything to be optimistic about. Not for a while at least. iPhone? yah whatever. Has nothing to do with their computer line. Apple TV? Computers? Nope...next. iPod....Computers? Nope. Next. I really have to ask this. Not as a flame but a legit question. Does Apple even care about their computer line anymore beyond simple refreshes?

Are you suggesting apple are not risk takers and like to play it safe?!
Apple take risks when the rewards are large and the technology mature.
Many companies beat apple to market with features, but majority of time they are doomed to failure using immature or badly thought out technology.
Every now and then Apple make great leaps, they also have the common sense to not fix something if it aint broke, and not use technology for technologies sake.
I'm not sure you understand apple too well with all due respect. Especially with this line...

"iPhone? yah whatever. Has nothing to do with their computer line."

You do realize the future of Apple and the whole computer industry lies with what happens in the mobile industry over the next 3 years???!
I dont have statistics at hand, but I think nokia alone sells more phones than the the whole of PC sales put together... with 75% of Nokias product line using Webkit coupled with iPhone success over the next few years that would make Internet Explorer (and Windows!) an 'also ran' within a very short space of tie.
Phones are computers, that is what makes the iPhone so significant a device, it's the first 'proper' OS within a mass market mobile. And it is just the beginning...
Change is going to happen faster than most people think.

PS: I'm not suggesting apple put a color screen in place of touchpad. There would have to be a decent enough reason. I only considered it today and within the last 5 hours i have not thought of a 'killer app' that would warrant its introduction. Thats not to say the killer does not exist.

notjustjay
Dec 14, 2007, 11:30 AM
You know that Apple will NEVER push the edge with such a design. Remember folks. Status Quo...don't rock the boat. Profits over innovation. Make what sells not what pushes the industry forward.

Yeah, Apple would never push the industry forward by, say, being the first to switch over to USB devices, or Firewire, or abolish floppy drives, or pushing flat-panel displays, or transitioning an entire product line to a whole new CPU architecture, let alone do that twice.

And in the spirit of not rocking the boat, they'd certainly never branch out from their core computer business, so don't ever expect to see industry-changing digital music players, or media download services, or mobile phones, or any sort of living room products.

i.mac
Dec 14, 2007, 11:34 AM
Think of a sub.mac that has a two way LCD. When closed it is a touch tablet, when opened a sub.mac with standard keyboard. :) students, hospital staff, engineers at NASA, every one would use one when it makes sense. Size? Fits in the pocket of a doc's white coat and the nasa tech's overall. instant classic.

sterlingindigo
Dec 14, 2007, 12:38 PM
Here's how it probably happened: A (now ex-) Apple employee was spotted strolling about campus with an undisguised prototype under his arm :eek: while the paparazzi (on the payroll of Macrumors) fired off several rounds of film from a long telephoto lens... cut to tires squeeling away in a cloud of smoke... :cool: later...back at HQ: Agent X discovers his lens cap was on the entire time.:mad:

GNU is Not Unix
Dec 14, 2007, 02:51 PM
The real question here is: Will this make Safari any snappier?

Sijmen
Dec 14, 2007, 02:54 PM
The real question here is: Will this make Safari any snappier?

Totally off-topic, but I recently installed Tiger as dual boot with my current Leopard install for backwards compat testing, and Safari on Leopard is definitely faster. (Yes, I let Spotlight finish ;))

edit: haha, dude, 3 out of your 6 posts so far are 'snappier' one-liners :D

TurboSC
Dec 14, 2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, Apple would never push the industry forward by, say, being the first to switch over to USB devices, or Firewire, or abolish floppy drives, or pushing flat-panel displays, or transitioning an entire product line to a whole new CPU architecture, let alone do that twice.

And in the spirit of not rocking the boat, they'd certainly never branch out from their core computer business, so don't ever expect to see industry-changing digital music players, or media download services, or mobile phones, or any sort of living room products.

lol that pretty much sums up everything I was going to say, probably a little efficient than i was going to put it.

Come on people, we're not talking about Microsoft here. I expect to be driving my Apple car in 10 years or less.

( or at least a collaboration with BMW like the VW Apple UI.. that would be sexy. )

Lazernet
Dec 14, 2007, 03:48 PM
And the new Macbook (not quite as slim as reports suggested)
http://privateevent.co.uk/underground/img/gallery/19_1197603478.jpg

Actually, this looks more like the 3GHZ G5 Powerbook... maybe thats the big secret? ....I'm still waiting.... ;-)

- Eric

SiliconAddict
Dec 14, 2007, 04:33 PM

Yah as if any of that compares to what Apple was doing in the mid 90's. I'm sorry but the Newton was then what the UMPC is starting to become now. The iPod was NOT a risky move in any way. They were standard hardware put together in a beautiful design. That was easy for the end user to use. More then anything else. iPhone, Apple TV, etc. The big selling point about Apple is ease of use. NOT innovation. And I hate to break this to you but Apple was NOT the first to use USB.
Some of the first USB devices shipped in Compaq desktops that were supported in Windows 95b. The first Mac to ship with built in USB, if memory serves, was the G4 tower in '98...or was it '99? I saw USB shipping in late '97 on Compaq Deskpros and a few IBM systems as well.
Floppy...yah well try telling a sys admin he couldn't have his floppy back in 96-98. They would have bludgeoned you to death with an optical drive. A LOT of the crap Apple did could NOT be done in the PC world due to two simple words that Apple has failed to understand: Enterprise support. Firewire, yes; flat panels yes. Again there isn't anything there that screams innovation. (OK So Apple WAS the designer of Firewire. They DID some major work on that front. And they deserve major props for their work.)
But by and large all Apple was doing was using traditional over the counter hardware. Heck you couldn't even call it bleeding. Maybe a paper cut.

Why not for once try and do something that no one else has done. I don't know....say...*random thought* Scanner where the gap between the hinge for the LCD is and the main body of the laptop. I've lost count the number of times I've wanted to send something hard copy to someone via e-mail but couldn't because I had to wait to get home to scan the dang thing.
Yes a redesign would be in order but again...that goes beyond what Apple would be willing to do. You saw all kinds of innovation from Apple back in the 90's. They single handedly had one of the most user upgradable laptops on the market with the Pismo. You literally could get at about 80% of the components of the laptop by removing the keyboard. Now? Huh. Only in the last couple revs of the MacBook have you been able to even get at the hard drive.
Sorry. I don't care what argument someone throws up you will never convince me that Apple is still an innovative company beyond innovating ease of use. That IS something. Not enough IMHO.

Thrawn
Dec 14, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for a new macbook, though it's unlikely because of the recent refresh. If they made a 15' macbook, same price as well as specs, with a dedicated graphics card, maybe with a touch-screen I would buy one immideatly. Of course, that's more then unlikely, it's impossible.:(

LeChuck
Dec 14, 2007, 05:02 PM
Here's a different opinion: the aluminum MBPs really are ugly machines. For me, the white polycarbonate shell of the current MacBook is a real plus (as well as the keyboard) and I sure hope the whole offer doesn't go all metal/aluminum/black/grey. Everyone else does it.

I'd love a MacBook today myself, if only I could have a matte screen and a discrete video card. I''d love a MacBook Pro if it had the MacBook's plastic shell and keyboard (and eventually a 13" screen option since I wouldn't need it to replace a desktop computer and an external screen can be connected).

Jackou
Dec 14, 2007, 05:26 PM
LOL! Hatchet, looks like we both used the same base image. Well, here's mine! :D

Now that rocks a hell of a lot!! Too bad i bought a macbook not so long ago:rolleyes:
Anyway very good job here(what's the deal between the touchscreen and the trackpad??)
Oh and one detail... How can y:Dou not put your dirty fingers on the video camera while opening it?? lol

Sound Evolution
Dec 14, 2007, 05:28 PM
Here's a different opinion: the aluminum MBPs really are ugly machines.

Why are they ugly? I find them beautiful. They are all about style, elegance and simplicity.

For me, the white polycarbonate shell of the current MacBook is a real plus

Wait till u see it in the light and you see al the small scratches on the surface. The material is soft. You see every scratch from daily use.

(as well as the keyboard) and I sure hope the whole offer doesn't go all metal/aluminum/black/grey. Everyone else does it.

I like the MBP keyboard way more. The quality and the "touch" is much better. As far as I know, no one make laptops from 100% auminum like the MBP (those semi aluminum laptops like the Vaio don't caunt

I'd love a MacBook today myself, if only I could have a matte screen and a discrete video card.

I disagree. I hate the Macbook (I own one myself) and like I said before for me it is the most worse design ever from Apple. The most of all hate the SHARP CORNERS. How ever could they design it like that! I feel it in my wrist right now while I'm typing this message.

The bad things about the Macbook:

-Sharp corners, very uncomfortable after couple hours of use
-Cheap keybord that make "cracking" sounds after a while
-Magnetic latch that damage the surface below the keyboard
-To big for an 13 inch

I''d love a MacBook Pro if it had the MacBook's plastic shell and keyboard (and eventually a 13" screen option since I wouldn't need it to replace a desktop computer and an external screen can be connected).

It will never gonna happen. You should stick to the Macbook :D

With kind regards,
Bas

Quillz
Dec 14, 2007, 05:38 PM
Why are they ugly? I find them beautiful. They are all about style, elegance and simplicity.
Opinions on the Internet, it's a new thing.

Wait till u see it in the light and you see al the small scratches on the surface. The material is soft. You see every scratch from daily use.
Polycarbonate does show hairline scratches, but don't confuse aesthetics with durability. It's extremely durable, perhaps more so than the aluminum.

I like the MBP keyboard way more. The quality and the "touch" is much better. As far as I know, no one make laptops from 100% auminum like the MBP (those semi aluminum laptops like the Vaio don't caunt
The MBP is not 100% aluminum, it uses plastic parts over the display, keyboard and trackpad. And the MBP keyboard is horrible, it's just too soft and cheap feeling.

I disagree. I hate the Macbook (I own one myself) and like I said before for me it is the most worse design ever from Apple. The most of all hate the SHARP CORNERS. How ever could they design it like that! I feel it in my wrist right now while I'm typing this message.
Most worst design ever? Take a grammar class, please.

The bad things about the Macbook:

-Sharp corners, very uncomfortable after couple hours of use
-Cheap keybord that make "cracking" sounds after a while
-Magnetic latch that damage the surface below the keyboard
-To big for an 13 inch
Sharp corners, true, but at the same time, under normal usage you don't even encounter them. Have you any proof of the magnetic latch damaging the casing? It mares the surface a little, but it doesn't get damaged.

amrk47
Dec 14, 2007, 05:47 PM
macbook cons:

white glossy material is a joke
simply rubbing your fingernail on it scratches it
the palm rest material and trackpad clicker is the same, scratches too easily
after a while the keyboard turns shiny due to grease which cannot be removed

I never used the black macbook....

koobcamuk
Dec 14, 2007, 05:50 PM
macbook cons:

white glossy material is a joke
simply rubbing your fingernail on it scratches it
the palm rest material and trackpad clicker is the same, scratches too easily
after a while the keyboard turns shiny due to grease which cannot be removed

Agreed.

I now have a 12" MacBook and love it. MacBook sucks.

Sound Evolution
Dec 14, 2007, 05:53 PM
Opinions on the Internet, it's a new thing.

So that is why I give mine ;)

Polycarbonate does show hairline scratches, but don't confuse aesthetics with durability. It's extremely durable, perhaps more so than the aluminum.

I like aesthetics and I don't like hairline scratches. Did I mention aynthing about durability? Opinions on the Internet, Its a new thing..... ;)

The MBP is not 100% aluminum, it uses plastic parts over the display, keyboard and trackpad.

I mean the outer shell

. And the MBP keyboard is horrible, it's just too soft and cheap feeling.

Maybe for you, I type over thousand resports with the keybord from my old powerbook G4 I find it far from cheap and "to soft"

Most worst design ever? Take a grammar class, please.

Why, because you ask so? What a low life remark of you! I'm not from your country. There are more languages in the world then only English. How much of them do you speak?......The important thing about comunication is that we understand each other right! You understand what I mean and what I say. I prefer you stick to the topic instead of comment about my grammar. Thank you!

Sharp corners, true, but at the same time, under normal usage you don't even encounter them.

I use my computer many hours. I always encounter them and they are painfull. It is simply a bad design implementation.

Have you any proof of the magnetic latch damaging the casing? It mares the surface a little, but it doesn't get damaged.

Well it make permanent marks on the surface. My own Macbook is the proof. I'm carefull with my stuff and I like them neat. Scratches or damages are not nice in my opinion.

With kind regards,
Bas

JAM8086
Dec 14, 2007, 06:20 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=94297&d=1197601745

Why is no one responding to this post? It's obviously the most evidence we have so far of a new macbook.

emotion
Dec 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
Why is no one responding to this post? It's obviously the most evidence we have so far of a new macbook.

It's a black macbook. I'm typing on one now. It's the shine on the satin finish that makes it look like that.

Stang68
Dec 14, 2007, 06:33 PM
It's a black macbook. I'm typing on one now. It's the shine on the satin finish that makes it look like that.

yea, i think he is right.

Nukemkb
Dec 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
nice! new macbook is needed (by me!)

QuarterSwede
Dec 14, 2007, 06:40 PM
I don't care what argument someone throws up you will never convince me that Apple is still an innovative company beyond innovating ease of use. That IS something. Not enough IMHO.
Ease of use is what the computer and tech industry needs! I hated Apple in the 90's because they put out absolute garbage. I want a well thought out design that works and that's what they produce today.

Some already did a few pages back.

mikesk8
Dec 14, 2007, 06:41 PM
...for me...alu macbook is a perfect choice...right path...;) but its personal ;)

Nukemkb
Dec 14, 2007, 06:42 PM
works for me - but I'm gonna buy whatever is introduced.....

MrCrowbar
Dec 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
Agreed.

I now have a 12" MacBook and love it. MacBook sucks.

:confused:

Nukemkb
Dec 14, 2007, 06:59 PM
:confused:

ditto.

HowEver
Dec 14, 2007, 08:13 PM
Everybody seems to be misreading the first post.

It said "Metallic MacBooks Spotted."

Clearly this portends the introduction of the Apple Dalmation Ultraportable...

TurboSC
Dec 14, 2007, 09:26 PM
Aluminum is far superior to black / white plastic.

1. The palm rests aren't going to discolor as easily
2. the keys on the keyboard aren't going to fade as easily
3. Aluminum build quality is sexy and light
4. Aluminum is better.

In Conclusion, I could care less about what they do with the MacBook line, because I feel there will always be a cheaper alternative to distinguish the Pro line, and hopefully come MacWorld Apple will treat us with an new epic laptop and we can all squeal like little girls. ( with credit cards in hand )

notjustjay
Dec 14, 2007, 09:39 PM
And I hate to break this to you but Apple was NOT the first to use USB.
Some of the first USB devices shipped in Compaq desktops that were supported in Windows 95b. The first Mac to ship with built in USB, if memory serves, was the G4 tower in '98...or was it '99? I saw USB shipping in late '97 on Compaq Deskpros and a few IBM systems as well.

I know Apple wasn't the first out with USB, I said (or meant to say, if it wasn't clear) they were the first to popularize it. I remember when USB first came out, all the magazines were saying things like "It's a pretty cool technology, it's got potential, but right now nobody's really using it and there are not many USB devices out there". Most PC's didn't come with USB, but you could buy a PCI add-on card if you really wanted, and most keyboards and mice were still PS/2.

It was really a chicken and egg problem. Nobody had USB so nobody wanted to make devices for it; nobody wanted to install USB because there were no real devices to buy.

Then along came Apple who took the plunge and USB was standard equipment on every Mac and both the keyboard and mouse were USB. Wasn't long after that before everyone started doing that.

The same story exists today with Firewire. Every Mac's had it standard for years, and most PC's still don't come with it at all. More laptops are, now, finally.

Quillz
Dec 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
I know Apple wasn't the first out with USB, I said (or meant to say, if it wasn't clear) they were the first to popularize it. I remember when USB first came out, all the magazines were saying things like "It's a pretty cool technology, it's got potential, but right now nobody's really using it and there are not many USB devices out there". Most PC's didn't come with USB, but you could buy a PCI add-on card if you really wanted, and most keyboards and mice were still PS/2.

It was really a chicken and egg problem. Nobody had USB so nobody wanted to make devices for it; nobody wanted to install USB because there were no real devices to buy.

Then along came Apple who took the plunge and USB was standard equipment on every Mac and both the keyboard and mouse were USB. Wasn't long after that before everyone started doing that.

The same story exists today with Firewire. Every Mac's had it standard for years, and most PC's still don't come with it at all. More laptops are, now, finally.
Actually, a much more valid reason why Apple included USB on the iMac was because before that, it was using crap proprietary ports like Apple Serial Bus and what not. And of course Apple would have Firewire on its computers before anyone else, they invented the technology.

And the reason most PCs don't include Firewire ports in the first place is because few things use Firewire, and even the ones that do use it will almost always have a USB alternative.

gifford
Dec 14, 2007, 11:04 PM
Actually, a much more valid reason why Apple included USB on the iMac was because before that, it was using crap proprietary ports like Apple Serial Bus and what not. And of course Apple would have Firewire on its computers before anyone else, they invented the technology.

And the reason most PCs don't include Firewire ports in the first place is because few things use Firewire, and even the ones that do use it will almost always have a USB alternative.

The whole computing industry was awash with crap ports at the time. USB provided a potential hot swappable cross platform standard that was taking an age to adopt by 'natural' market forces. It was in Apples interest to push the technology and they took the bold moving of including it into their whole product range.

It's incredible to see how people can put an negative spin on some of Apples crowning achievements .
Like they dropped the floppy, I can see Apple being the first major computing company to drop the optical drive from its entire range. They are going to seriously piss some potential customers off, but the move will drive technology forward.
Other than installing the OS I honestly cant remember the last time I used an optical drive.
Apple have the guts and the foresight to recognize when bold steps have to be taken, and that is why I respect them as a company.

I think some people on here need to sup more cool aid.

Quillz
Dec 14, 2007, 11:29 PM
The whole computing industry was awash with crap ports at the time. USB provided a potential hot swappable cross platform standard that was taking an age to adopt by 'natural' market forces. It was in Apples interest to push the technology and they took the bold moving of including it into their whole product range.

It's incredible to see how people can put an negative spin on some of Apples crowning achievements .
Like they dropped the floppy, I can see Apple being the first major computing company to drop the optical drive from its entire range. They are going to seriously piss some potential customers off, but the move will drive technology forward.
Other than installing the OS I honestly cant remember the last time I used an optical drive.
Apple have the guts and the foresight to recognize when bold steps have to be taken, and that is why I respect them as a company.

I think some people on here need to sup more cool aid.
How will most software get installed w/o an optical drive?

gifford
Dec 14, 2007, 11:36 PM
How will most software get installed w/o a optical drive?

The internet. (wifi, ethernet)
Memory sticks. and bluetooth
This is how i have bought/downloaded/exchanged ALL my software for many years now.
Not to mention the fact that downloading software full stop will become less and less common as web apps take hold.

Quillz
Dec 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
Downloading large software, like CS3, and even full operating systems, still won't be as fast or as practical as installing from an optical drive until extremely fast broadband connections are available for the masses. Optical drives are far from dead, and it wouldn't be in Apple's best interest to begin abandoning them.

zlinger
Dec 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
How will most software get installed w/o an optical drive?

It will come with bluetooth powered magic wand.:)

gifford
Dec 15, 2007, 12:11 AM
Downloading large software, like CS3, and even full operating systems, still won't be as fast or as practical as installing from an optical drive until extremely fast broadband connections are available for the masses. Optical drives are far from dead, and it wouldn't be in Apple's best interest to begin abandoning them.

What is to stop Adobe from supplying CS3 on memory stick? 8GB has gotta be sufficient or nearly sufficient. They may have to hike the price up by 20$ to absorb but thats not really a problem.
Same goes for the OS. Apple could pre-instal or supply USB memory stick.
This really is no different a scenario than with the floppy drive, in-fact this time there are many more options available.
And for those that have difficulty keeping up with the times, you could always buy an external optical drive!

Vast majority of software is already downloaded. Broadband penetration around the 75% mark. And many phones are 3G.

I personally regularly download/upload files of up to 1gb. The way i see it, if i am going to buy a CD/DVD with software on it, Im either going to have to get in my car drive to town and find a company that has what i want in stock, OR wait a day or so for it to arrive by post. Neither of the two options is appealing for me, so within a similar timeframe i can have 1gb downloaded and not have to leave the house.

I believe Apples first step towards its removal will come from a new device that will hook up to your existing computer.

IMO the only reason apple have not ALREADY taken steps to remove it is due to the iPod, many people have vast collections of CD's on shelves which still need to be transfered onto their iPod or future iPod. Though it could drive online sales, only Apple have the information at hand to make that decision.

What does the consumer/apple get out of this? Smaller, less noisy, battery efficient , more reliable computers @ lower prices (or same price, but improved technology elsewhere).

Forgot to mention in my earlier post: There is one other way to download software, now and more so in the future.... 3G/4G and not just for mobile phones.
In-fact Apple's very first optical drive free computer is already here... its called the iPhone.

Sannekita
Dec 15, 2007, 03:02 AM
don't believe it... we need pictures

teleromeo
Dec 15, 2007, 03:24 AM
don't believe it... we need pictures

preferably in an elavator ...

Papajohn56
Dec 15, 2007, 03:32 AM
downloading software full stop will become less and less common as web apps take hold.

bull. There's still a ton of stuff web apps can't come close to doing.

gifford
Dec 15, 2007, 03:42 AM
bull. There's still a ton of stuff web apps can't come close to doing.

What is so "bull" about that statement??

Are you suggesting web apps are going to become less and less common!!! ha

Among other things I am an OSX developer and a web developer, I personally cant stand much of web tech in its current form. its a disorganized mess in comparison to objective c and cocoa.

I agree there are a ton of apps which dont work best on the desktop, for now, but slowly over time, a large chunk will be web based. No doubt about it.

Mekgek
Dec 15, 2007, 04:46 AM

CS3 You only have to install ONCE, a bit strange to carry around an optical drive all the time for such rare occasions. I do most file transfers with email/usb-sticks. Just an external optical drive would be fine for most people I am sure.

TurboSC
Dec 15, 2007, 06:21 AM
It will come with bluetooth powered magic wand.:)

lol... or it'll just be a nice little white Apple you can place on your desktop and every time there's an update it'll glow and you just hover all your devices nearby while it streams updates to them.

AidenShaw
Dec 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
Most PC's didn't come with USB,...

Actually, when the Bondi Imac was introduced USB ports *were* standard on all but the cheapest PCs. The Intel and other chipsets had USB standard, and most systems had a pair of USB ports on the back bulkhead.

They also had PS2 ports, since Win95 didn't have good USB support.

Not by coincidence, Win98 with builtin USB support also arrived at about the same time - so "everybody" started doing it when Windows supported USB, not because Apple made the Imac. ;)

Sound Evolution
Dec 15, 2007, 08:44 AM
Optical drives are far from dead. And if Blue Ray finally becomes a standard (a big "if") then optical drives will be alive more then ever.

Strange enough. I don't even see one post about the possibility of Blue Ray into Apples new super laptop.

With kind regards,
Bas

bc008
Dec 15, 2007, 08:53 AM
about the wifi thing:

i could get wifi in my disconnected garage while having garage sales with my old macbook.

with my old macbook pro i couldnt get range when up in my room! (where my desk was, on the other side on my bed you could)

anyways, i have about 1300 in the bank, if i dont get an LCD tv this is what im getting!!!

gifford
Dec 15, 2007, 09:38 AM
Optical drives are far from dead. And if Blue Ray finally becomes a standard (a big "if") then optical drives will be alive more then ever.

Strange enough. I don't even see one post about the possibility of Blue Ray into Apples new super laptop.

With kind regards,
Bas

I dont see blue ray taking off that well personally, i think people will chose convenience over mass physical storage and download from the net at lower quality until broadband speed pick up.
I'm not suggesting it will be a total disaster, and im not at this point suggesting apple wont include into future devices. But you do have to ask the question, is it really necessary? if the price of the a blue ray drive can be bought down just shy of a DVD drive, then maybe there is a future.

Martin C
Dec 15, 2007, 09:46 AM
Would a change to a carbon fiber enclosure help Wi-Fi reception in the MacBook Pro?

LeChuck
Dec 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
Aluminum is far superior to black / white plastic.

If you say so :)

Let's say I'm hoping that Apple will finally release a laptop that will make me want to buy one (and that I can thn afford it). I don't care for aluminum material or the looks of it, I already said so. I don't care for the larger size because I have already a large desktop machine for my work and I need a portable machine to be portable, so I can take it and use it on a photo shoot or anywhere else. And I don't care for a glossy screen and onboard slow graphics card. So where's the laptop for the rest of us? I really hope it's not going to be a tiny notebook. In the meantime, I'm saving up.

CaptainCaveMann
Dec 15, 2007, 10:08 AM
Would a change to a carbon fiber enclosure help Wi-Fi reception in the MacBook Pro?

Let it go man, Apple is not going to release a case made from carbon fiber. They are just as likely to start making the case out of the same material found in the crashed UFO at Roswell. :rolleyes:

mill2000
Dec 15, 2007, 11:15 AM

With kind regards,
Bas

Blue Rays aren't cheap enough, bulky and they do not consume less power than most DVD writers out there. But most of all, for apple, it's probably because there aren't any slot-loading blu ray writers.

I'm starting to wonder, would there be a possibility that apple would launch both the ultraportable and the macbooks?

mill2000
Dec 15, 2007, 11:19 AM
What is to stop Adobe from supplying CS3 on memory stick? 8GB has gotta be sufficient or nearly sufficient. They may have to hike the price up by 20$ to absorb but thats not really a problem.
Same goes for the OS. Apple could pre-instal or supply USB memory stick.
This really is no different a scenario than with the floppy drive, in-fact this time there are many more options available.
And for those that have difficulty keeping up with the times, you could always buy an external optical drive!

Vast majority of software is already downloaded. Broadband penetration around the 75% mark. And many phones are 3G.

I personally regularly download/upload files of up to 1gb. The way i see it, if i am going to buy a CD/DVD with software on it, Im either going to have to get in my car drive to town and find a company that has what i want in stock, OR wait a day or so for it to arrive by post. Neither of the two options is appealing for me, so within a similar timeframe i can have 1gb downloaded and not have to leave the house.

I believe Apples first step towards its removal will come from a new device that will hook up to your existing computer.

IMO the only reason apple have not ALREADY taken steps to remove it is due to the iPod, many people have vast collections of CD's on shelves which still need to be transfered onto their iPod or future iPod. Though it could drive online sales, only Apple have the information at hand to make that decision.

What does the consumer/apple get out of this? Smaller, less noisy, battery efficient , more reliable computers @ lower prices (or same price, but improved technology elsewhere).

Forgot to mention in my earlier post: There is one other way to download software, now and more so in the future.... 3G/4G and not just for mobile phones.
In-fact Apple's very first optical drive free computer is already here... its called the iPhone.

2 DVDs (9.4GB) - 20 cents each, 60 cents to manufacture.

1 memory stick (8GB) - $30 OEM

$30 vs. 60 cents.

which would you prefer?

mill2000
Dec 15, 2007, 11:47 AM
i can name a few laptops that don't have an optical drive, but have had a tremendous success. and some were introduced before the dawn of iTunes so downloading instead of installing from CDs was not considered an option.

Thinkpad X series - Still continues to be the favorite among business travlers. It reduced the size without any compromise of power. (what i am hoping for mac ult. to be)
Sony Vaio R505
Toshiba Portege R100, R200

Seriously, i don't think the absence of an optical drive is a big deal. you can carry an external drive if you really need to install something on the go.
And I'm guessing the software market would have a similar trend as the music market. People will buy CDs/DVDs if they want to keep a hard copy and not have to worry about computers crashing, formatting, hard drive failure, etc.

Instead, i really hope the new mac will have usb 3.0, wireless usb (although i doubt these two), bluetooth, full powered cpu (not ULV or ULEV), isight, fingerprint reader (i hope this is the weird thing about the touch pad)and SATA SSD or HDD.

USB 3.0 is supposed to come out in the first half of 2008 with power of ten times faster than the existing usb 2.0, but i don't think macs will be the first to offer it... (goto www.usb.org for more info.)

One more thing, i think people give apple way too much credit. apple did not invent most of the things on its laptop except for the magsafe port.
everything else was taken from other manufacturers. The concept of the iSight camera was invented by Sony with the introduction of Motion Eye, which became very popular in asia. The concept of illuminated apple logo on the back of macbooks was invented by Samsung. They were the first to feature backlight illumination on the other side of the display. (it soon disappeared due to light penetration from the other side and the dark spot.)

I got a little carried away, but i'm happy i ranted out everything i want.

lost eden
Dec 15, 2007, 11:59 AM
Rumors of a sub-notebook laptop have been building as we approach Macworld San Francisco.
For the last time, 13.3" is NOT subnotebook! 12" & 13.3" screens fall under the 'ultraportable' heading, not the 'subnotebook' heading. A subnotebook is something that usually has a screen of about 10.4" or less.

bananas
Dec 15, 2007, 03:18 PM
I really hope it's new MacBook or a small MacBook Pro. I want a small laptop from apple, but I'm not satisfied with the current ones. Current MacBook has too broad frame around the screen and keyboard. It could be made much smaller while still having 13,3" display.

John Musbach
Dec 15, 2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider claims (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/12/13/briefly_more_sightings_of_mysterious_metallic_grey_macbooks.html) that "dark grey" or "gunmetal" colored slim notebooks have been spotted at Apple campus.

The report is reminiscent of a 9to5mac report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/21/slim-aluminum-macbooks-soon/) that indicated that new MacBook enclosures made of black and silver aluminum had previously been spotted by their sources.

Rumors of a sub-notebook laptop have been building as we approach Macworld San Francisco. Our rumor roundup (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/10/apple-ultra-portable-macbook-rumor-roundup/) summarizes the predictions to date.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/13/metallic-macbooks-spotted-on-apple-campus/)

Sounds like Apple already has prototypes of their ultraslim macbook. Although even if it does become reality it still won't be a viable purchase choice for me unless they somehow manage to get the flash storage to be even somewhat close to the storage provided by today's standard hard drives and can at least provide a external optical drive as a option when purchasing one of these macs...

swisspolo
Dec 15, 2007, 04:54 PM
I really hope they don't release a metallic macbook. There's a certain law of physics that happily explains why the mac book pro has terrible wifi reception and why the current mac books don't suffer from it.

Please stick with plastic apple....not that you can hear me of course!

jman2003
Dec 15, 2007, 05:06 PM
really, it is only a few weeks away, are you all really that impatient?
but i do agree, it probaly didnt happen without pictures, i am sure they had their camera phone (or iphone) to take a picture of it. whenever i see something like that i always have my phone to take a picture of it.
and rember, flash storage is not that small, fyi the flash storage in the 160 gb ipod classic, they can just take the storage out of it and put it in the new macbook.

vendettabass
Dec 15, 2007, 05:13 PM
fyi the flash storage in the 160 gb ipod classic, they can just take the storage out of it and put it in the new macbook.

ipod classic has a 1.8" hard drive

jman2003
Dec 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
ipod classic has a 1.8" hard drive

well even if it has a hard drive look how small it is. just putinto the new macbook (or make it smaller)

emotion
Dec 15, 2007, 05:36 PM
well even if it has a hard drive look how small it is. just putinto the new macbook (or make it smaller)

1.8" drives are a bit slow for this application. However 32GB of flash (whichis fast) and a 1.8" drive might be a compact, energy efficient and cost effective combination.

Particularly if ZFS used. Multiple 'drives' are handled more elegantly with this filesystem and there's now limited support in OSX.

Sound Evolution
Dec 15, 2007, 05:44 PM
I really hope they don't release a metallic macbook. There's a certain law of physics that happily explains why the mac book pro has terrible wifi reception and why the current mac books don't suffer from it.

My powerbook g4 never had a bad reception and it was clearly better then my current Macbook. The wireless antenna unit is not underneath the aluminum but a plastic strip on the screen hinge (with the MBP). In theory it should work just as good as the antenna underneath the plastic of the Macbook. Law of physics tells us that current seek the way of the lowest resistance (Ohm's law) In general and theory it doesn't have to say that aluminum have poor reception. If not connected to ground it can even a great antenna itself.

However I stick to the fact the the Macbook pro have an antenna strip on the display hinge that should work good. My Powerbook G4 (last rev.) had a better reception then my current Macbook.

With kind regards,
Bas

TurboSC
Dec 15, 2007, 06:17 PM
Laws of common sense tell us that Apple probably would have tested these circumstances before burying a Wi-Fi antenna inside a $2400+ aluminum laptop.

They're not stupid you know lol :)

Sound Evolution
Dec 15, 2007, 06:35 PM
Laws of common sense tell us that Apple probably would have tested these circumstances before burying a Wi-Fi antenna inside a $2400+ aluminum laptop.

They're not stupid you know lol :)

Exactly. A lot of things I read here are just things people "assume" Since I had both a Macbook and a powerbook I can tell the difference and that is that the powerbook with alu case was better in wifi reception :D

And again an cage of faraday (like people assume the MBP case is) will only limit wifi reception if apple simple put a antenna inside the sealed enclosure. This is NOT the case so it is a wrong assume. In reality there are more electrical characteristics* to consider and lke you said, they're not stupid;) Electronics and laws are not that simple as people might think. But hey we are all "experts" here! :D

With kind regards,
Bas

DHagan4755
Dec 15, 2007, 07:01 PM
The antenna on the aluminum MacBook Pros is located under the dark gray rubber section on the hinge.

TurboSC
Dec 15, 2007, 07:39 PM
The antenna on the aluminum MacBook Pros is located under the dark gray rubber section on the hinge.

And I'm sure they spent more on research to figure out that was the best location for said antenna... I don't have MBP myself ( not yet at least ) is there a secondary antenna? or just the one mentioned?

jonnysods
Dec 15, 2007, 08:56 PM

Sorry guy, looks like a black macbook to me...

FF_productions
Dec 15, 2007, 11:32 PM

The reception sucks on the MacBook Pro, it's the one thing I can't stand.

I'm 2 feet away from a router and I won't even have full bars.

drewyboy
Dec 16, 2007, 12:21 AM
I think people often forget that Apple Laptops don't play well with certain routers. So here is your friendly local macrumors reminder: Reception depends mostly on the compatibility of your (type of) router!

richard.mac
Dec 16, 2007, 01:51 AM

the airport reception on my MBP core duo is great. i get full bars when im outside by my pool. ive got a netgear router+print server and a netgear wireless access point.

Cloudsurfer
Dec 16, 2007, 03:03 AM

Please stick with plastic apple....not that you can hear me of course!

There will always be certain advantages to using certain materials over others. If it were up to electronics manufacturers, all wiring and casing would be made out of gold because it conducts electricity and dissipates heat like no other. The downside is that people would rather wear gold around their neck.

I welcome the use of aluminum, even if I do have to trade in a little reception.

Sound Evolution
Dec 16, 2007, 05:15 AM

I think it depends on your router. I use airport express on my office and my neighbor three stages above my office (in a concrete building!) still have airport reception with his MBP! In the same situation the Macbook don't have any reception anymore. That is why my conclusion is, the MBP with alu case have a better reception then the MB.

With kind regards,
Bas

lost eden
Dec 16, 2007, 05:17 AM
I think people often forget that Apple Laptops don't play well with certain routers. So here is your friendly local macrumors reminder: Reception depends mostly on the compatibility of your (type of) laptop!
Fixed it for you :)

swisspolo
Dec 16, 2007, 05:44 AM
Very true that apple will have done their research but in my experience alu notepads have seemed pretty terible with wifi. Didn't realise it could be a router problem so i'll take back my comment.

I think some of us need to brush up on our knowlegde of Maxwells equaton and Lenzes law to see my point but in hindsightIi didn't twig that the antenna would be outside the case.

Anyways, we're all experts here so I'll pipe down from here on in on this one :)

Cheers

Simon

emotion
Dec 16, 2007, 06:02 AM

This is not normal. You have a fault either with the router or the MBP.

Maybe you're antenna in the MBP is not connected to the motherboard. Something like that.