PDA

View Full Version : Brand new iPod Touch Faulty on opening - Advice needed.

PaddyFowler
Dec 13, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm hoping somebody can help me.
I ordered a 16GB ipod Touch on Ebay from the US. It duly arrived in just over a week (after going thru customs and having to pay customs tax).

I got it yesterday, opened up the box, everything fully sealed etc... brand new.
I then proceeded to plug it into my laptop to charge it. After about 10 minutes i powered it up and started to play around with it. I couldn't access the bottom 4 buttons (Music, Videos, Photos and ITunes). I presumed it was because i hadn't any media synched to the device. I then put an album on there, but i still could not access those buttons.

I then discovered that nothing at the bottom of the screen would activate (i.e. in calculator mode, if i pressed the 0 button, 1 would appear on screen - the number just above 0). In clock mode, i could not switch from World Clock to Stopwatch for instance, as the screen would not respond to my touch (if you catch my drift).

Anyways, i sent this into an authorised apple dealership today to run some diagnostic checks. It turns out that there is damage at the dock port somewhere, and it will go down as "accidental damage".

Now, i have owned an ipod nano for the past 2 years and i know how to insert a dock cable without damaging the ipod. I in no way damaged the ipod touch, i didn't let it fall and took great care of it for the 2 hours that i actually had it. For them to say that it's "accidental damage" is just not acceptable.

They are sending it to Apple for more diagnostic checks, but Apple may come back with the same response, therefore giving me the option to repair or replace - either way costing me more money.

I don't see why i should have to pay for this, seeing as it was already damaged coming out of the box.
An interesting point to note is that i asked the technician from today whether or not there was any visible physical damage. He told me that there was absolutely no sign of visible damage whatsoever, and told me that i have a good case to get a replacement.

To cut a long and frustrating story short, have any of you experienced something like this - and what are my chances of having this replaced?
I was SO SO looking forward to receiving my ipod touch, and i'm so down in the dumps with the fact that it has come and gone in just one day - and of absolutely no use to me.

Please make me feel better! :(:(

ehsteve23
Dec 14, 2007, 11:32 AM
with my ipod video, there was a problem with it about a day after i got it, apple posted me a box, i posted it away and had a shiny new one a few days later, because of various faults, i'm on my fourth ipod video, each time it's just been exactly the same; some fault with it, not my fault, post it away, get a replacement, no problem.
in theory, the same should be true of your touch, replacement asap

brsboarder
Dec 14, 2007, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't worry. Apple is fairly trustworthy with items bought and having an "accidental damage" problem during the first couple days. My friend had an ipod nano that looked like it fell in water, but it didn't. They were fine with exchanging it for a brand new one.