Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I'm wondeirng if I'll be able to add a second processor to the 1.8 sometime in the future. I can't afford the DP 2.0.... so I'm wondering if down the road I can just pop in another processor.

Anyone know?

Toeknee

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
i dont think so chief. you'd prob have to do some serious soldering. where i work at we have the 1.8 and its plenty fast so I dont think you should be really worried about adding another processor. Not to mention you would have to add another fan if you were able to.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
more curious than serious, good to know. i forgot about the fans and such.

just from looking at the design it looks so simple to just slide in another g5 processor.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
it really is a good question? with the g4 towers is was allways taken for granted you could upgrade but with the new g5 machines it might end up being like the darn imac where what you buy is what you buy.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Looking at the 1.8 G5 motherboard, its impossible. For day to day use, you won't notice a difference between a single and dual G5, only when you start getting into video encoding and such do you really see a difference.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by CrackedButter
I don't think its fair however. They should allow the option while ordering online IHMO.

Don't think what is fair? The fact that you can't plop another processor into a computer? Have you ever built a comptuer before????

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.