Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingsleyflint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Just bought a 160Gb iPod, but an enormous amount of space is taken up by 3 games I will never play and do not want to keep. Sadly, there are no instructions for ejecting these unwanted intruders. Perhaps Apple feel that only young people with nothing better to do than play stoopid games will buy these iPods - this seems weird to me.I want to be using the whole capacity for music and films. Has anyone a tip to wipe this off my new pod, please?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Just bought a 160Gb iPod, but an enormous amount of space is taken up by 3 games I will never play and do not want to keep.

Given that the games for sale on iTS are no larger than 60 MB each and thus these three games probably take up ~200 MB or just over 0.1% of your HDD's space, me thinks you protest too much.

Even if you could remove these games you'd only be able to get ~60 more 128 kbps songs on the device.

B

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
If your really determined to get rid of those games, you might have some luck looking through the iPod Help menu in iTunes.

Edit; Just looked myself... built-in games can't be removed. They only take up about 200 MB anyway and I actually think they're pretty cool.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Just bought a 160Gb iPod, but an enormous amount of space is taken up by 3 games I will never play and do not want to keep. Sadly, there are no instructions for ejecting these unwanted intruders. Perhaps Apple feel that only young people with nothing better to do than play stoopid games will buy these iPods - this seems weird to me.I want to be using the whole capacity for music and films. Has anyone a tip to wipe this off my new pod, please?

Here's what the Apple FAQ say:

How do I remove game titles from an iPod?

1. Click the iPod in the iTunes source pane.
2. Click the Games tab.
3. Select Sync games.
4. Click the Selected games button.
5. Deselect all items.
6. Choose File > Sync "iPod" to remove the games.

bc008

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
if you care about that thats just horrible.

technically you got 15 dollars in free games! be happy!

and to Tom B., that avatar is wrong in so many ways ;)

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Thats only with games you have bought from iTunes. These games are pre-loaded onto the iPod.

Aren't they stored in the ROM, then? (sorry if this is a stupid question, my iPod is so old that the only games on it ar Brick, Music Quiz, Parachute and Solitaire, and these seem to be in the ROM or on a hidden partition - they don't use any space on my hard disk).

markspectrum

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2007
I'd also like to delete the built ingames, mainly because I can't stop playing them and end up wasting loads of time. There must be a way to do it. I've spent an hour online looking now and all I can find is that they're built in to the firmware so you can't.

Now you could say I should have some willpower but I find the games (crap as they are) addictive. i need to go cold turkey and remove them.

A couple of people elsewhere on the web say they can delete them but links are broken. If I've overlooked this elsewhere on the forum I apologise, but i really have looked.

Thanks all.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Attachments

• drunk_santa_tar.jpeg
    drunk_santa_tar.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 4,935
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.