Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Hey all. I just got a white 2.2 GHz SR MacBook, and I'm loving it. I got a copy of Vista Home Premium and I installed it twice. Once as an upgrade from XP Pro, and then again as a fresh install. I did it twice in hopes of avoiding this error on boot up:

booterror.jpg

(That pic was taken using my iPhone. Oh how I love my iPhone...)

How do I correct that? I know I have to use some sort of FDISK app, but I'm nervous to do that in fear of hosing either my OS X partition or my newly installed Vista partition, lack of a better word.

On a side note, the performance from what I tested so far between an upgrade install and fresh install isn't too much different. I was surprised how simple it was to install.

To those of you skeptical, don't worry. Leopard still resides on the other equally sized partition at the top of the partition table.

EDIT: Vista itself boots fine, it's just that that error when it's booting is annoying because it shows up each time. Would getting a different bootloader solve the problem?

sr5878

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
i got the same error too... download easybsd (google it... first result) in vista and run the 'fix master boot record' option (like third menu down)

that easy... all fixed. :)

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
mine does that every time I boot. give it time to boot and it'll work. It probably doesnt recognize the MFS partition mysteriously taking up space. I guess its annoying cause it takes a little longer than it should to boot.

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
i got the same error too... download easybsd (google it... first result) in vista and run the 'fix master boot record' option (like third menu down)

that easy... all fixed. :)

Awesome! Thanks. I'll do that right now.

EDIT: So I google 'easybsd' and I find nothing about Vista, but then I did 'easybsd vista' and I found a program called easybcd. I'm sure that's what you meant to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.