PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Titanium Question

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 04:03 AM
Hi

I have G4 Powerbook Titanium. Is it possible to buy anything to run a windows operating system on it?

Cheers in advance
Julie

jnc
Dec 14, 2007, 04:24 AM
There's Virtual PC if you can find it, but it runs like treacle.

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 04:43 AM
I know Virtual PC is rubbish......Is this all there is for my machine?

iMan G5
Dec 14, 2007, 05:17 AM
Looks like you need to upgrade to an Intel mac laptop now.

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 05:23 AM
It is seriously lookin that way!!!!

MACDRIVE
Dec 14, 2007, 05:27 AM
I have G4 Powerbook Titanium.

I'm using one of those right now and can't imagine ever wanting to use a Windows OS ever again. :cool:

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 05:30 AM
I dont really wanna use Windows, but am doin a course and all the stuff they send you is Windows based....I love my mac!!!!

eXan
Dec 14, 2007, 05:31 AM
I know Virtual PC is rubbish......Is this all there is for my machine?

And what have you expected? Emulating an entirely different CPU type is VERY hard (thus slow)

MACDRIVE
Dec 14, 2007, 05:31 AM
All's forgiven. :p

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 05:40 AM
Thanks MacDrive

ExAN - I didnt know what to expect, but I did notice that Virtual PC is very dodgy and just wondered if there was anything better.

So.....if I upgrade to a MacBook, what would I need to do to run a Windows OS? ..... and would it be as slow as Virtual PC on my Powerbook?

Julie

koobcamuk
Dec 14, 2007, 05:45 AM
Thanks MacDrive

ExAN - I didnt know what to expect, but I did notice that Virtual PC is very dodgy and just wondered if there was anything better.

So.....if I upgrade to a MacBook, what would I need to do to run a Windows OS? ..... and would it be as slow as Virtual PC on my Powerbook?

Julie

Use parallels. It runs much faster than virtual PC. In fact, it will be faster than many window laptops. It runs natively, so it's like having a windows laptop in a nice case, with osx installed.

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 06:12 AM
Thanks again for all your help!!! Will have to look into buying a MacBook asap then!!

tomsawyer
Dec 14, 2007, 06:14 AM
I don't know if I'm stating the obvious,
but in case you didn't know:

Windows cannot run on a G4, except, as previousely stated by eXan:
by "Emulating an entirely different CPU type is VERY hard (thus slow)"
that being said, here is the reason:
Windows is written for x86 processors, it is bascially the language in which
the operating system adresses the processor to do what it needs done.
Windows was not written for, and thus cannot tell your G4 Processor, what
calculations to execute.
Since this is the case, you can regard VirtualPC as being a translator. However the translation process itself takes a whole lot of processing power, thus making it slow. This translation process is called EMULATION.
Now you can better understand what eXan meant:
"Emulating an entirely different CPU type is VERY hard (thus slow)"

Your question was:
"So.....if I upgrade to a MacBook, what would I need to do to run a Windows OS? ..... and would it be as slow as Virtual PC on my Powerbook?"

No, it would run much faster!
To get to the point, MacBooks (the entire new Mac Series) have switched to IntelProcessors (x86-architecture), the exact same processor-architecture Windows was designed to run on. Windows is as responsive as on a PC with similar specs plus the packaging is eyecandy ;)

In case you choose to upgrade, you have two options:

1) Install the Windows of your choice using BootCamp on a separate Partition. In this case a restart is required whenever you switch between OS's

OR
as koobcamuk pointed out
use "Parallels"

2) "it runs natively, so it's like having a windows laptop in a nice case, with osx installed."
which means you can run windows programms directly from OSX. It's a comfortable solution if you use Windows for certain programms needed for work.

I like my Macbook, had WindowsXP running on it till recently, worked fine.
Best wishes,
Toma

jules1977
Dec 14, 2007, 06:24 AM
Cheers TomSawyer

Very nicely explaine....understand it all now!! You may have thought you were stating the obvious, but I didnt know....thank you!!!

Julie

heatmiser
Dec 14, 2007, 07:43 AM
To make my point, the newest trophee of Macusers:
MacbookPros have turned out to be the fastest notebooks on the market when it comes to running Vista. Was all over the news.

If by "the market", you mean, "the seven laptops that magazine tested", then, sure, the MBP's the fastest!

Jiddick ExRex
Dec 14, 2007, 09:50 AM
If by "the market", you mean, "the seven laptops that magazine tested", then, sure, the MBP's the fastest!

Yes, and not taking into consideration the newest laptops recently released which would run windows faster than the MBP by now.

tomsawyer
Dec 14, 2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks for pointing that out.
Picked the info up a couple from a colleague a couple of days ago,
and even though not entirely accurate :( , it boils down to:
"Windows works fine on IntelMacs" ;)