PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Keyboard

oldschool
Sep 30, 2003, 04:56 PM
Just wondering, should the function keys be lit up as well? On mine they are only partially lit up. The F is kind of lit, but everything else is dark.

applemacdude
Sep 30, 2003, 07:34 PM
All of them are supposed to be lit like this...

Powerbook G5
Sep 30, 2003, 07:59 PM
All of mine light up like they should...did you try increasing the brightness? If the light sensors only detect partial darkness, it doesn't light up fully and sometimes it doesn't appear like the entire keyboard lights up until you adjust it a little yourself.

cb911
Oct 1, 2003, 02:25 AM
it might be because of your viewing angle. it's you're sitting at a desk with the PowerBook away from you, you may not be able to see the illuminated 'F' keys because they are lit from directly underneath.

Powerbook G5
Oct 1, 2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by cb911
it might be because of your viewing angle. it's you're sitting at a desk with the PowerBook away from you, you may not be able to see the illuminated 'F' keys because they are lit from directly underneath.

It might be because of the screen brightness, too. I was playing with it last night and found if you turn it down a bit more, the keyboard appears to be even more lit up. It's kind of like if it is a bright night, it is less likely to see the stars in the sky. It might just be because the "Fn" keys are the closest to the screen.

uptick
Oct 1, 2003, 09:01 AM
They should light up. However, perhaps because the function keys are smaller, and the transparent font marking each function key is smaller, less light passes through the keys, making it less bright than the alphakeys. Also, because the function keys are at the top edge of the keyboard, would it be farther away from the light source in the middle? (Anyone know what's the lighting system like underneath the keyboard? is it fiberoptic light pumped to each individual key or a general single light source?)

Powerbook G5
Oct 1, 2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by uptick
They should light up. However, perhaps because the function keys are smaller, and the transparent font marking each function key is smaller, less light passes through the keys, making it less bright than the alphakeys. Also, because the function keys are at the top edge of the keyboard, would it be farther away from the light source in the middle? (Anyone know what's the lighting system like underneath the keyboard? is it fiberoptic light pumped to each individual key or a general single light source?)

It's optical, that's all I know about it.

uptick
Oct 1, 2003, 09:37 AM
...just thinking a little bit more about the lighting system (not in front of my PB right now), but if it's a a single light source, there's probably a mask between that and the keys, otherwise we'd see light seeping through between each key. is that so?

I think the coolest 'lighting feature' is that pulsating latch button! That thing is damn bright, and staring at that for a minute definitely slows down my heartbeat! :D

Powerbook G5
Oct 1, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by uptick
...just thinking a little bit more about the lighting system (not in front of my PB right now), but if it's a a single light source, there's probably a mask between that and the keys, otherwise we'd see light seeping through between each key. is that so?

I think the coolest 'lighting feature' is that pulsating latch button! That thing is damn bright, and staring at that for a minute definitely slows down my heartbeat! :D

Yeah it is bright, it lights up the room at night when I put it to sleep before I go to bed.

oldschool
Oct 1, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Yeah it is bright, it lights up the room at night when I put it to sleep before I go to bed.

Yeah it totally does. I look at it till i fall asleep or go back online.

Powerbook G5
Oct 1, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by oldschool
Yeah it totally does. I look at it till i fall asleep or go back online.

The night after I got my PowerBook, I took it with me when I slept over with my girlfriend and she got insanely jealous whenever I'd gaze over at it sitting there, its sleep light gently pulsing, almost begging me to go to it. I still do...I just can't help but admire the thing, whether it be just looking at it closed sitting on my desk, or if I am just taking a 2 minute break from doing a paper to just admire the attention to detail. It really is a great system from the fit and finish to the precise was the keyboard softly types to the way the superdrive gently sucks the disc in and quietly goes about its business, or to the way the screen dims and the keyboard lights up perfectly each time the light level is changed. Even that little sleep light is fascinating with the way it pulses instead of blinks. This is definitely the most well designed computer I have ever used.