PDA

View Full Version : ipod shuffle syncs what it wants!

OrangeCuse44
Dec 14, 2007, 09:24 AM
The first time I thought it was a fluke, but now it has happened for a 3rd time so I'm seeking an answer. I fill my iPod shuffle up, everything syncs from my mac to the shuffle in iTunes but when i go play it, only some albums are actually on it. Its like the shuffle has a selective memory. Has anyone else experienced this problem and/or know what i could do to fix it?

RumMunkey
Dec 14, 2007, 11:37 AM
Anything for a fellow Islanders fan.... you ARE an Islanders fan, right?

OK, first, tell me how are you filling your Shuffle? Autofill? From a playlist? Are you trying to put your entire Library on the Shuffle? how big is your library (songs / GBs).

How do you know all your music is being synced to the iPod? When you browse it, can you see music on it, but can't find it on the Shuffle when playing it, or is not even appearing on the Shuffle when you look at it vis iTunes?

OrangeCuse44
Dec 14, 2007, 11:44 AM
HUGE Islander fan. Im using a combo of manual additions and autofill. I know its all being synced because i can see it on my shuffle in iTunes. I always get sync complete ok to disconnect. Everything works and looks as it should in iTunes. Some songs just never play on the shuffle. I set the shuffle to straight play and move through all the songs so I know they arent coming up. Its just weird.

RumMunkey
Dec 14, 2007, 11:52 AM
First, my Isles iCal schedule. Subscribe if you want. I update it each season, and go back and put in the scores of the games as they finish too. webcal://ical.mac.com/scott.coates/nyi.ics

Second, that is weird. Normally I'd suggest you are trying to put 1.5 GBs of music onto a 975 MB Shuffle, but if you can see them on the Shuffle in iTunes that's not it.

What about file format? Are these missing files in any different format than the rest of your library?

Anything else like that that might freak the Shuffle out? The songs have names with German characters or anything?

If you've got time, try this. Make a playlist of JUST the offending songs. Sync ONLY that playlist to the Shuffle and see if it plays any of them.

OH! Wait! What generation Shuffle is this?!?! There was a weird glitch in the older 1G shuffle (the gum-stick looking one) that wouldn't play certain files (I want to say AACs??). There was a reset app that fixed it.

EDIT: Looks like there is a reset utility (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305204) for both Generations of the Shuffle now.

OrangeCuse44
Dec 14, 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the Isles calendar, I'll add it after work. Ive never added a webcal though, so how would I go about doing that?

Stupid me, i didnt say im using the new 2g shuffle. The albums ive noticed not working have been AAC's. 95% of my library is encoded using AACs. Ill only put one of these albums on when I get home to test it out. If that doesnt work ill try the reset utility. Thanks for your help. I'll post back with how these methods work.

RumMunkey
Dec 15, 2007, 01:41 PM
To subscribe to a published calendar, in iCal go to "Calendar", then "Subscribe". Copy and paste my url (webcal://ical.mac.com/scott.coates/nyi.ics) in the box and hit "Subscribe".

My calendar will sync to your iCal. It will check for changes every once in a while, and update when I make changes to my published calendar.

As for your iPod, any update? Did the reset utility work?

OrangeCuse44
Dec 16, 2007, 08:22 PM
I tried syncing only an album that has been rejected and after sync was complete i pressed play on my shuffle and the light blinked as if nothing was on it. i then restored it through itunes and tried it again, still nothing. i then downloaded the ipod reset with no results. my shuffle just seems to not like some songs and i cant figure out why.