PDA

View Full Version : Getting stuff from dead iBook

Chrismcfall
Dec 14, 2007, 05:35 PM
iBook wont boot, HDs making funny noises so I sold it on ebay. Now, short of taking it all apart and grabbing the HD out *Gulp* Is there anyway of trying to get some stuff from the HD? I was thinking of trying to boot Ubuntu from my Nano, but they have no FW and the iBook wont boot from USB....Or will it?

My other choice would be a live CD, but will Ubuntu be able to grab files if it can, if they came from a passworded account?

Cheers:)

mrkramer
Dec 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
If it won't boot and the HD is making "funny noises" then the HD is probably dead, so if you want anything you did not back up off of it you will probably have to take it somewhere for data recovery.

Chrismcfall
Dec 14, 2007, 05:48 PM
Well it occasionaly boots, sometimes doesnt and OSX shows me the "?" thingy. I just need to try and get rid of what i can before i send it to the person who bought it on ebay. I could open it, but that looks like a massive job.

HowEver
Dec 14, 2007, 08:18 PM
Boot from a firewire connected external hard drive, and see what you can copy over from the internal drive.

Chrismcfall
Dec 15, 2007, 06:04 AM
I dont have anything like that. Will an Ubuntu live CD and a flash drive do the job?