Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrismcfall

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
iBook wont boot, HDs making funny noises so I sold it on ebay. Now, short of taking it all apart and grabbing the HD out *Gulp* Is there anyway of trying to get some stuff from the HD? I was thinking of trying to boot Ubuntu from my Nano, but they have no FW and the iBook wont boot from USB....Or will it?

My other choice would be a live CD, but will Ubuntu be able to grab files if it can, if they came from a passworded account?

Cheers:)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If it won't boot and the HD is making "funny noises" then the HD is probably dead, so if you want anything you did not back up off of it you will probably have to take it somewhere for data recovery.

Chrismcfall

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Well it occasionaly boots, sometimes doesnt and OSX shows me the "?" thingy. I just need to try and get rid of what i can before i send it to the person who bought it on ebay. I could open it, but that looks like a massive job.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Boot from a firewire connected external hard drive, and see what you can copy over from the internal drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.