Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcl

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Calif.
Is my macbook core duo 1.83 running on the HOT side?

istat pro:
HD: 29º
CPU A: 59º
HEATSINK A: 52º

HEATSINK B: 126º

ENCLOSURE BOTTOM: 26º
NORTHBRIDGE 1: 50º
NORTHBRIDGE 2: 51º

cptpower

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Calgary, AB
I would think that'd have to be celcius, since otherwise their hard drive would be currently operating at sub-zero (29F = -1ish C).

Is it still showing that hot? A faulty sensor perhaps (hopefully)? You'd probably be able to tell cause something running at 126C inside your notebook would output considerable heat.

Either way, might want to get a tech to look into why that's so high.

dcl

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Calif.
Yep - Just check it was celcius

How dependable is this iStat Pro program?

F:eek:ahrenheit
HD: 94º
CPU A: 139º
Heatsink A: 124º
Heatsink B: 259º
Enclosure Bottom: 81º
Northbridge 1: 122º
Northbridge 2: 259º

Sent it in right after I bought it for heat problems, either never fixed it or put in another faulty Heat Sensor.

dcl

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Calif.
ministat reports cpu 142 º to 144º

guess I will have to take it in Monday - thank goodness for Applecare

dcl

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 28, 2006
Calif.
Fans were running full guns Friday morning, but found Process named (print???) something running 99% of the cpu.
Sinces force quiting that process, fans have been running normally

eoddc5

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
okay i just opened my new 2.2 macbook about 2 hours ago, and transferred everything with startup from my 2.0 mbp

so my ministat2 transferred as well

i checked what the CPU are running at and it seems sooooo weird, well maybe its normal but compared to my mbp its strange

Fans are running at around 1792
CPU A is at around 25-30* C
CPU B is at around 70-80* C

that seems odd, like they should be around the same right?

EDIT:

so i downloaded istatpro and things look happier and will replace ministat.... too bad i paid for ministat so long ago when istat is better

anyone else like that? is that normal? or do i need to bring this in already?

Trump48257

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2006
Not an issue

older versions of iStat would show 126º C for "Heatsink B." It's an error and this heatsink actually should not even be showing up. I contacted them a while ago about it and in the next update that disappeared.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yep - Just check it was celcius

How dependable is this iStat Pro program?

F:eek:ahrenheit
HD: 94º
CPU A: 139º
Heatsink A: 124º
Heatsink B: 259º
Enclosure Bottom: 81º
Northbridge 1: 122º
Northbridge 2: 259º

Sent it in right after I bought it for heat problems, either never fixed it or put in another faulty Heat Sensor.

Yes that looks correct, because you are using Fahrenheit. If you told me it was Celsius I wouldn't believe you because the computer cuts the power at 110 on any part. I know because I've done it.

Victor Odin

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
No offense, guys, but this is why you might want to consider standardizing on Celsius.

You have to pick your battles, and sometimes there is just no reason to "think different".

Sometimes being different just for the sake of being different is little more than mental masturbation.

I've seen the "We use Fahrenheit because we live in America" threads, but you just open yourselves up to confusion for little or no reason.

All computer manufacturers use Centigrade. From Intel, to Nvidia, to ... well, everyone. Like it or not, that is how components are calibrated and measured at the factory, fabs, and labs. Without exception.

If you look at the spec sheet for any processor, all of the information is listed in C.

If you call a tech house and tell them that your processor is running at 145 degrees, they will think that you are a silly.

I doubt they are going to start carrying around conversion calculators just to placate a few stubborn "we here in amuuuuriccca use the other scale".

Get used to measuring temps in C, or get used to confusion when dealing with computer hardware specs from any vendor.

Just sayin ...

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
Yes that looks correct, because you are using Fahrenheit. If you told me it was Celsius I wouldn't believe you because the computer cuts the power at 110 on any part. I know because I've done it.

Even with F it is high. Water boils at 212, so I don't think that his computer is hotter than boiling water.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
So seriously, the MBP doesn't come w/ a utility to monitor your temperatures???

iStat is the best?

Is it ok just to leave the fans the way they are? Seems some people are making them go faster/slower or changing when they engage.

Sorry, I'm just getting familiar w/ the laptop world.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Lol... I doubt it could run that hot.. in fact I no it can't. It'd shut down, probably before you were rendered sterile.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Are you sure it was 126 Celsius?!?

I have a strong sense that it was 126 Fahrenheit , which comes to 52.2 Celsius.

If it was really 126 Celsius, then there should be some obvious hardware failure- heck, even the processor is designed to power down if the temperature is above 90 degrees Celsius.

And dang, this is a old thread!

Victor Odin

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2008
The "newest" MBP is about 9 months old. What is outdated about it other than your particular interest in the subject?

Did you really post to a thread that you had no interest in to yell at us for yelling at you for using Fahrenheit?

I got here via a web search for the subject.

If you don't like it, don't frigging read it. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head, in which case, kick them in the balls really hard and flee.

Run Forest ... RUN!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.