PDA

View Full Version : Apple Bluetooth mouse

anidel
Sep 30, 2003, 11:34 PM
I just (today) ordered my BT mouse from the Apple OnLine Store.

After that I went to the on-line apple support and there's a category for the wireless kb and mouse.
In this article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86470

They say :

Everyday use

The Apple Wireless Mouse automatically enters a low-power mode whenever it's not being used to conserve battery power. To wake the mouse, press any key.

What they mean "press any key"????
I remember I read some post somewhere about someone (too many 'some'? :) ) complaining that he cannot wake the mouse by simply moving it.
Someone has the BT mouse? can you tell me something more?

Anidel

GigaWire
Sep 30, 2003, 11:53 PM
blah blah blah, it works. Just press any key on the keyboard or move/click the mouse.

anidel
Sep 30, 2003, 11:58 PM
Ok thanks a lot :)

Balin64
Oct 1, 2003, 12:32 AM
I have had my mouse since Friday, and it ran out of batts (supplied) Monday. Not cool. Also, tapping or hitting the keyboard/mouse will wake the peripherals from sleep but they will not rouse your Mac: you must tap the power button for that. All in all, though, I am still very happy being wireless... which is why IO am typing this from my bathtub... (just kidding).

anidel
Oct 1, 2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Balin64
I have had my mouse since Friday, and it ran out of batts (supplied) Monday. Not cool. Also, tapping or hitting the keyboard/mouse will wake the peripherals from sleep but they will not rouse your Mac: you must tap the power button for that. All in all, though, I am still very happy being wireless... which is why IO am typing this from my bathtub... (just kidding).

Well, I asked how to wake the mouse up, not the Mac. Watching for mouse/keyboard events over Bluetooth when the Mac is sleeping (usually to preserve battery) does kill the battery down.

I like to be as much wireless as possible too.

Anidel

yujini
Oct 1, 2003, 02:09 AM
That's what I thought. There's no way the mouse could last for 5 months or whatever spec apple says.
The Logitech mx700 wireless mouse (not bluetooth) says it lasts for 5 months, and it lasts maybe 2 days of heavy use.

If i do absolutely nothing and just let it sit on my mousepad,
it lasts for a very very very very long time. (I haven't really tried it
but when i didn't have net connection, I left it sitting for 8 days and it still said battery lvl was high)

Sux that you'll have to recharge your rechargable batteries from anotehr charger and use it.

I'm sure the keyboard will last a bit longer but maybe a month or two. Definitely not 9 months.

gello2424
Oct 1, 2003, 02:55 AM
That is strange I have the logitech wireless keyboard mouse combo you know that oen that came out over a year ago and it came in any color you wanted as long as it was black. I know in over a year use that I have only changed the batts. 2 times in the keyboard with everyday use it is on the 3 set as far as my mouse i use it everyday am i only have to change the batts every two weeks or so.

the mouse I use for my mac is the logitech cordless optical mouse.

the ones on my PC's are the logitech cordless Mouseman opitcal mouse and keyboard.

I don't know maybe I am one lucky bastard but I know that I use it on a average of 8 hours a day?

I do know the one that is hooked up to my mac will last a lot longer then the Mouseman one I use on my PC's

PaisanoMan
Oct 3, 2003, 01:41 AM
Any impressions about the Apple mouse? I'm considering getting one because it's more compact than the other Bluetooth mice, and I need to travel with it.

Could it be worth the $70?

benixau
Oct 3, 2003, 05:17 AM
I have an MS non-BT mouse and tell you this:
Batt change (alkaline Energizer e2) every 4-6wks of heavy usage (12hrs/day)
Good response
Great SW
Nice feel
Dont need much range but it has a few meters.

Really, BT is a joke. unless you need to type from the other side of the house where you can't even see the monitor then ......

AngryAngel
Oct 3, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by benixau
Really, BT is a joke. unless you need to type from the other side of the house where you can't even see the monitor then ......

Why is BT a joke?

It is a standard, so you can use many devices with the same dongle, or have it internal with no need for a base station. This is especially good for laptops.

The range of BT is up to 10 meters, about the same as most RF cordless mice.

cwjchenx2
Oct 8, 2003, 10:36 PM
can i ask a stupied question?
do u guys use the bt mouse with mousepad?
cause i feel the dest will scratch the bottom part of the bt mouse...

anidel
Oct 8, 2003, 10:51 PM
I got my BT Apple mouse today, so I can't tell you anything about battery life.
The batteries they give you in the package are Lion ones, so they last more than the usual ones.
The way the light flashes tells you the status of the mouse. When it's flashing fast then it's sleeping. And it flashes everytime I keep it in my hand, as soon as I remove it from the table surface (I keep it in my hand turned so that it cannot detect movement). This means that everytime you stop moving it, it sleeps conserving energy.

It's a good mouse, fast and smooth. I will use the pad to avoid scratches as suggested in a post. You can indeed tell Mac OS X to listen to bluetooth mouse/keyb events but you can also disable it (as I did).

I really like it. May be it's not worth 70$ for a wireless mouse, but I like it :))

Anidel.

Peyote
Oct 8, 2003, 11:06 PM
Anyone have experience with wireless trackballs?

I'm not a trackball fan, but I could see the use for a wireless one. I'm not reall convinced of the usefulness of a wireless mouse since you have to use it on the table anyway, but a trackball you could put in your lap if you wanted.

applemacdude
Oct 9, 2003, 07:46 PM
Why doesnt apple make a black wireless pro mouse? i really like black better than the white one...

latergator116
Oct 9, 2003, 09:20 PM
When will apple finally realize that people want a 2-button mouse. it looks as if they are just being stubborn