PDA

View Full Version : Nano screen on a Mini?

bloodycape
Dec 15, 2007, 04:59 PM
Is it possible to get the 1G or 2G Nano screen working on the ipod mini? It this possible or just a pipe dream?

SXR
Dec 15, 2007, 05:03 PM
Not the color ofcourse, unless you modify it hardware wise.
And , arent the 1g and 2g ipod nano screens the same?

motulist
Dec 15, 2007, 05:05 PM
The mini's screen is 1.67-inch (diagonal) and the new iPod nano's screen is 2 inches diagonal. So it wouldn't fit. Why would you want to anyway?

SkyBell
Dec 15, 2007, 05:12 PM
The mini's screen is 1.67-inch (diagonal) and the new iPod nano's screen is 2 inches diagonal. So it wouldn't fit. Why would you want to anyway?

He's talking about a 1G or 2G screen, not the 3G.

EricNau
Dec 15, 2007, 05:15 PM
The 1 and 2G nano screens are 1.5" while the mini's screen is 1.67"

...so no, it can't work. Sorry. :(

bloodycape
Dec 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
Ok size wise they are not the same but are the connectors. If the connectors are the same and I connect it, will it work? I would assume rockbox can make it wokr more flawlessly or something?

motulist
Dec 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
You still haven't answered why you want to do this.

bloodycape
Dec 16, 2007, 04:04 PM
Because I find the Nano to be a pretty mundane device, but the Mini on the other hand, has potential, the size is right, and it would be cool to have in color.

psychofreak
Dec 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
Because I find the Nano to be a pretty mundane device, but the Mini on the other hand, has potential, the size is right, and it would be cool to have in color.
The software wouldn't work in colour, even if the screen could connect...

motulist
Dec 16, 2007, 04:21 PM

That's what I thought you were gonna say. The answer is that even if you somehow managed to attach a color screen, it'll still only display anything in monochrome. What you see on the screen is controlled by the built in firmware OS that runs the mini, and that firmware will only output a monochrome video signal to any screen attached to it.

So for myriad reasons, the answer is that your idea is basically impossible.

Osarkon
Dec 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
Who cares, it's still an interesting idea to try just for the hell of it. :D

soemochris
Dec 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
you could gut a mini and but in your nano, no idea how, but you could give it a shot if you would like to

ezekielrage_99
Dec 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
Short answer is no.

However I am guessing there's a nerd out there who has done something like this, because I remember sometime back a person did put Doom onto the iPod Linux hack....

EvryDayImShufln
Dec 16, 2007, 05:19 PM
Even if you could get it working, why bother? The mini has a hard drive and is thus less reliable than a nano anyway, plus its not like you're getting more capacity. You're just getting a fatter case and less reliability.

Luap
Dec 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
Even if you could get it working, why bother? The mini has a hard drive and is thus less reliable than a nano anyway, plus its not like you're getting more capacity. You're just getting a fatter case and less reliability.

Which brings me neatly to the point I wanted to make..

Upgrade the built in HD instead. Its quite easy and not so costly now. As standard they have a 4/6gb Hitachi Microdrive installed which is in Compact flash (CF) format. CF cards are everywhere these days. Right up to 16gb.
This has other advantages too, like the iPod will no longer have any sensitive moving parts in it. So it becomes more durable and also uses less battery power.

I put a 16gb CF (Peak) card in my Mini and its been great. Certainly made an aging iPod Mini a lot more useful.
These things are all about music. So what better way to improve it than to quadruple its storage capacity :)

bloodycape
Dec 16, 2007, 11:36 PM
I put a 16gb CF (Peak) card in my Mini and its been great. Certainly made an aging iPod Mini a lot more useful.
These things are all about music. So what better way to improve it than to quadruple its storage capacity :)

That is what I did. I have a 16gb cf card in there. Twice as much as space as the Nano. Not to mention the Mini is actually more reliable than the Nano, and it is thicker. I been pretty rough with my Mini and it is still ticking. But if I did that with Nano it be busted, by now.

bloodycape
Dec 16, 2007, 11:56 PM
Is there a difference between the 1-gen and 2-gen screen? Because I see different prices on the repair sites, where the 2-gen cost more than 1-gen.

mrkramer
Dec 17, 2007, 12:01 AM
I think that even if the connector fit, whatever powers the Graphics in the mini would not be powerful enough to power the Nano screen.

motulist
Dec 17, 2007, 12:08 AM
I don't even know what we're talking about here anymore. We've all concluded that this modification is impossible. What else is there left to discuss about this topic?

bloodycape
Dec 17, 2007, 12:23 AM
I am daring enough to try. So yeah.

mrkramer
Dec 17, 2007, 12:25 AM
I am daring enough to try. So yeah.

if you really want to try the best you will get is gutting a Mini and placing the entire Nano in there. otherwise you are just wasting you time and money.

bloodycape
Dec 17, 2007, 12:30 AM
Only cost me 15usd at least which is like two days of lunch money or 4 days of coffee money so to speak. And my mini has been gutted for a while now waiting for a 16gb cf card to come, getting the case painted, and a new battery.

Schtumple
Dec 17, 2007, 01:39 AM
Only cost me 15usd at least which is like two days of lunch money or 4 days of coffee money so to speak. And my mini has been gutted for a while now waiting for a 16gb cf card to come, getting the case painted, and a new battery.

Go nuts then, just don't even begin to try the connector thing, as said, the software won't know what to do with it, you'll just get a garbled mess (if anything) on the screen.