PDA

View Full Version : I need External firewire HD buying tips

photohead
Oct 1, 2003, 01:21 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on what external firewire HD to buy...I have a lacie 160 GB d2 drive and am vary happy with it...but now I need a new one...the HD that I am going to get will be used to back up my system (mirror my hd) and for storage of photo/movies/music...so reliability is important. The reason I'm asking for help is that I went to a store in my area and they had a generic brand HD (a company I never heard of) 120 GB 7200rpm with a 8mb buffer average seek time of 8.5ms for only $175?? I thought that this was a great deal...but I backed out because I thought that drive might be a little shady...what was attractive was that it was 7200rpm with 8mb buffer...and the sales associate said that it would be faster...but how important is that really?? I'm not that knowlegable so I'm asking for some help...I can get a new lacie porche design at 160 GB for $200, or a 160 GB lacie D2 like the one I already have for $220 and that sounds ok...but both only have a 2mb buffer and have an average seek time of 10ms with max sustained transfer of 40mb/s. How important is the buffer and all that other tech talk? Please give any comments that might be of help...if you know any places/sites with good deals on external FW HD's I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for all your help

N