PDA

View Full Version : Networking Windows & Mac

Macette
Oct 1, 2003, 02:04 AM
To network a Windows XP machine with a LAN of Jaguar-equipped Macs, does the Windows box need to have Windows Server installed?

A Mac office I look after is in need of a (shudder) Windows machine for some stuff, and I thought it would be good to set it up as a backup machine - so it would be great to be able to have it sit on the local network and be able to share files. But we can't afford Windows Server for it.

szark
Oct 1, 2003, 02:48 AM
You don't need the server version if you're just planning to share files and other simple stuff. Just make sure it isn't running XP Home.

Macette
Oct 1, 2003, 02:55 AM
a guy who's preparing a quote for me reckons this isn't right - can you tell me something I can tell him that will make him understand? like how it works?

thanks for responding :)

szark
Oct 1, 2003, 03:10 AM
Hmmm...thinking about it some more...

I don't think there is any technical problem that would prevent you from doing this, though I'm not sure if there is a limitation on how many computers can be connected to an XP desktop system at one time.

However, Microsoft's licensing policies might require you to have the server version for what you intend to do.

I should point out that I am not an expert on Windows, but work with people who are.

...and it's 1:00 AM here, so I'm a bit tired. ;)

Macette
Oct 1, 2003, 03:16 AM
thanks szark. you should go to bed (although I stayed up until 2.30 playing with my new dual g5 last night...)

gello2424
Oct 1, 2003, 03:20 AM
I know in my companys office we have 4 macs and 9 PC's on a LAN so it has to work right?

Hell at home I have 1 G4, 1 G5 and two power books and two PC's hooked up on a wireless network? Just make sure you have sharing on the macs on and the firewall settings on the PC's set to alow the others to "see" it.

By the way the PCs have XP Pro on them.

szark
Oct 1, 2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Macette
thanks szark. you should go to bed (although I stayed up until 2.30 playing with my new dual g5 last night...)

Must be nice... :)

...though I certainly wouldn't trade my Cube for one. (I'd buy a DP G5 and use them both. :D )

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Macette
Oct 1, 2003, 03:28 AM
yes, the cube's a beautiful thing. If i'd had the money at the time i would've got one - my dad got one, and he's still in love with it.

but my dualie, well, apart from the first one being DOA, it's quite amazingly brilliant.

tomf87
Oct 1, 2003, 06:17 AM
You can connect an unlimited amount of clients to XP Pro. However, as was stated above, if you are going to use it as a server, then the licensing policies state you should be buying a Windows Server license.

You may check into Windows 2000 Server. Since the release of Windows Server 2003, those prices may drop significantly.

doctorhook
Oct 7, 2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by szark
You don't need the server version if you're just planning to share files and other simple stuff. Just make sure it isn't running XP Home.

Is this true for XP Home on a wireless network?

szark
Oct 7, 2003, 04:22 PM
It is possible to share files between XP Home systems, but the networking capabilities are handicapped and not very good for any use other than occasional file transfers (IMHO).

tomf87
Oct 7, 2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by szark
It is possible to share files between XP Home systems, but the networking capabilities are handicapped and not very good for any use other than occasional file transfers (IMHO).

XP Home and Pro run the same kernel and IP stack, so performance is the same, provided you run it on the same hardware. Also, make sure you hit Properties of the File and Print Sharing and optimize it for file transfers. A very noticeable performance difference. Make sure you reboot too for it to take effect.