Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
ive got a couple quick questions, how many install cd's did you get? and if you got 2, on the first one, or if you got one, then the only one, are the only things on it are install mac os x, optional installs, and instructions? are there any more folders or icons???:confused::confused:

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
Usually the gray disks that come with your Mac have the operating system on Disc 1 while the iLife and goodies are on Disc 2.

Uoila

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
I got 2 discs

I got 2 with my macbook. FYI, bootcamp drivers are also on CD1

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
2 install disks, the best part is with bootcamp, you just insert the leopard install Disc 1 to get all the drivers =)

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
hmm

i got my comp with tiger preinstalled, on disk 2 there was nothin but to insert disk 1!!!!!! so how do i get i life? on disk one i have the xcode tools, install mac os x and bundled software,and install bundled software only, where can i get this ilife thing??? and the discs are tiger install discs, i upgraded my system to leopard using the drop in that came with my imac, that drop just had the 3 things i mentioned above!!! so i dont know which to keep, which has what, and if im missing something, cuz i dont know how to get ilife, and my leopard drop in doesnt have that install bundled thing, i check my grandma's install discs (she got leopard presinstalled) and found out that she got the install bundled software, then i checked the mac os x leopard family pack cd that i got on launch, and it had the same thing as my leopard drop in, the only difference was that the cd was name leopard install disc, and my drop in said leopard upgrade disc!!! so right now i REALLY confused, dont know what it what, and what is where, and which to keep!! so in short, i have 2 tiger install discs, and one leopard drop in disc that i used to install leopard, and on the other hand, nothing to do with this, i have a leopard cd that i have purchased

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Dude, not cool. Don't title a thread like that. You made it seem like there is some big problem/emergency with Macs that came with leopard pre-installed. If you want to ask a question about how many discs your Mac came with, title it appropriately, probably with less exclamation marks.

Weak, dude. Weak.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Dude, not cool. Don't title a thread like that. You made it seem like there is some big problem/emergency with Macs that came with leopard pre-installed. If you want to ask a question about how many discs your Mac came with, title it appropriately, probably with less exclamation marks.

Weak, dude. Weak.

Agreed. There was something vaguely annoying about this thread (which was why I'd avoided posting in it), and you pinned it down. Attention-getting tactics that make it look like Apple had issued a recall aren't cool.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA

Weak, dude. Weak.

Agreed. There was something vaguely annoying about this thread (which was why I'd avoided posting in it), and you pinned it down. Attention-getting tactics that make it look like Apple had issued a recall aren't cool.

hows that for ya?

cornopaez

macrumors regular
i got my comp with tiger preinstalled, on disk 2 there was nothin but to insert disk 1!!!!!! so how do i get i life? on disk one i have the xcode tools, install mac os x and bundled software,and install bundled software only, where can i get this ilife thing??? and the discs are tiger install discs, i upgraded my system to leopard using the drop in that came with my imac, that drop just had the 3 things i mentioned above!!! so i dont know which to keep, which has what, and if im missing something, cuz i dont know how to get ilife, and my leopard drop in doesnt have that install bundled thing, i check my grandma's install discs (she got leopard presinstalled) and found out that she got the install bundled software, then i checked the mac os x leopard family pack cd that i got on launch, and it had the same thing as my leopard drop in, the only difference was that the cd was name leopard install disc, and my drop in said leopard upgrade disc!!! so right now i REALLY confused, dont know what it what, and what is where, and which to keep!! so in short, i have 2 tiger install discs, and one leopard drop in disc that i used to install leopard, and on the other hand, nothing to do with this, i have a leopard cd that i have purchased

To install iLife you just need to install the bundled sofware on the first cd. That will give you the option to choose the software you want to install (iLife, the games, I think the iWork trial among others). I had to do this since I made a clean install on my Late 06 MB.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
To install iLife you just need to install the bundled sofware on the first cd. That will give you the option to choose the software you want to install (iLife, the games, I think the iWork trial among others). I had to do this since I made a clean install on my Late 06 MB.

ok, thanx, and what is disk 2 for? if im in an installation in disk one and needs me to enter disk 2? i should have wait an extra two weeks so that i can have a full leopard system without extra discs or anything, i have tiger documents on this thing and i installed leopard on it the second i took it out of the box

cornopaez

macrumors regular
ok, thanx, and what is disk 2 for? if im in an installation in disk one and needs me to enter disk 2? i should have wait an extra two weeks so that i can have a full leopard system without extra discs or anything, i have tiger documents on this thing and i installed leopard on it the second i took it out of the box

If I'm not wrong, most of the stuff in the first disk is the OS and then the second disk is most of the bundled stuff... keep both disks in hand when installing the Bundled stuff. :)

bgipson

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007

The second DVD is not viewable, but has hidden contents. You can verify this by going into console and doing a list on that device in the volume list.

Google for "view invisible files os x"

I have a question for all of you - what is all supposed to come in that little black software box in the packaging? A friend of mine unpacked her "new" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz yesterday, which unfortunately had been a repackaged item so I suspect something was taken from the box; It seemed to have an awful lot of blank volume (space) in the small black square box - about enough space to put in another 5 DVDs or another thick manual.

I noticed she had Tiger installed - not Leopard, but it appeared to also have iLife '08. Perhaps it was manufactured in September?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.