Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I was just on the apple store doin a mock order when i noticed that its now possible to get the low end power mac with a super drive using the bto option. This seems totally out of the ordinary for apple who always kept the superdrive in the elite models.To me its suggesting that that they want to really clear the old range by giving such an incentive or that they want to get rid of their current superdrive hardware so that it can be replaced by that much talked of enhanced drive where all the speeds are nearly doubled. Any ideas?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: New power macs

it probably has more to do with the fact that you can get the top of the end consumer iMac with the superdrive, but previously was unable to get the low end tower with it. Since they make mroe money on the tower system, it makes sense to make sure no one chooses the high end iMac over the more lucrative low end tower (for which they also have to buy an apple monitor). it frankly didn't make any sense for the low end tower not to have a superdrive has a BTO.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
educational models

If you go to the educational store you cannot add the superdrive to the entry 733 model. That would be a great deal if it was possible. You would be able to pick up a 733g4 with a superdrive for under $1450! Maybe they will add this option later

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.