Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Hello I am compressing quicktime movies for the web and every time I encode them to FLV format I get a white frame at the end... :confused: I need to loop the FLV files, so the white frame is really annoying. My quicktime sources are Animation Compression, so there should be no problem there... Here are my settings (even though I tried different ones with the same result):

Video:

codec: on2 vp6
Max data rate: 300
Keyframe: auto
Frame rate: same as source

Audio: MP3 96 kps

Resize: 360x240

The other settings are the default ones. Please let me know if anyone had the same issue. Thanks!

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Compression of your original file

I had this happen once when I converted quicktime files to FLV that received from a client. It turned out to be the compression that was made on the quicktime files. The files were not .mov, they were another movie format that I don't remember now. In any case, I converted the files to .mov and then into .flv and it worked fine. I think there was some data or the lack of data in the quicktime file that was passed into the flv that confused the netStream object. In flash, the flv should always land on the first frame of the video upon completion.

psv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Right, the problem is that my files are in quicktime format (mov) and in the generic Animation codec... I tried other sources also in quicktime and I always get the same white frame in the end... I am starting to realize it has to be a Flash bug. Every movie I encode into a FLV gets the white frame.. :(

psv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
both... i tried both. From quicktime with the FLV plugin and with the Flash CS3 Encoder

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I still think the issue is with the compression of the original video file(s). Are you creating the videos or are they coming from somewhere else? Peep this and see if it helps: http://support.on2.com/flixdesktop/faq/

The main topic deals with Flix but perhaps there are similarities that you can find. Specifically http://support.on2.com/flixdesktop/faq/#v0020 I know that you are only experiencing the white in the last frame, but any clues might help.

The flash video encoder seems to only be able to handle video that is "prepped" for it. Since there are so many compression techniques, some compressions step on the feet of others.

T

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
for what it's worth, these are the settings I use.

Compression: H.264
Quality: High
Key frame rate: 24
frame reordering: yes
encoding mode: multi-pass
Dimensions: Current

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.