PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep an iPod warm?

tomf87
Oct 1, 2003, 11:28 AM
After driving into work, my iPod worked perfectly, until I stepped outside.

The temps were about 45 degrees Fahrenheit, and suddenly my iPod just locked up. It wouldn't work until I got into my building and it took it about 45 seconds to warm up again then started playing. My walk from truck to building is about 2 - 3 minutes.

Any ideas on how to keep the iPod warm enough to keep working when it is colder outside?

fraeone
Oct 1, 2003, 11:58 AM
Reminds me of sleeping of putting Bhutane canisters in my sleeping bag so that the stove would work in the morning. Keep it close to your body. An inside coat pocket would probably do fine. As for the ipod not working in less than 45 degrees, don't people ski & snowboard with these things?

fraeone

Makosuke
Oct 1, 2003, 03:05 PM
Could well have been a condensation issue--goes from warm car to cold air suddenly, causing some condensation on a vital internal part. Let it warm up (or probably just sit in the cold long enough), and it'll kick in again.

Just a theory, though. If that's the case maybe some sort of insulated sleive would help--the sort of thing people put around soda cans.

According to Apple's page, the thing should work down to zero C, which is pretty darned cold, so it can't just be an issue of getting a bit chilly...

shadowfax
Oct 1, 2003, 03:12 PM
yeah, stick it in a warm coat pocket. if that's not enough, you could always jam it down in your underwear for a minute. don't let anyone see you do it, though.

rainman::|:|
Oct 1, 2003, 03:25 PM
you don't really want to warm it up in this case, you want to cool it to the temperature of your pocket or wherever you'll keep it... my iPod certainly works in very cold weather, like below zero F, if it's had a chance to cool off. You probably shouldn't have it running when you initially drop temperature on it, so that the HD isn't spun up... once it all attains uniform temperature again, it'll be fine.

pnw

themadchemist
Oct 1, 2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
yeah, stick it in a warm coat pocket. if that's not enough, you could always jam it down in your underwear for a minute. don't let anyone see you do it, though.

oh man...I see this thread going baaaad places.

Le Big Mac
Oct 1, 2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Makosuke
Could well have been a condensation issue--goes from warm car to cold air suddenly, causing some condensation on a vital internal part. Let it warm up (or probably just sit in the cold long enough), and it'll kick in again.

Usually condendation happens when you go from cold into warm, which happens to be humid. Think glasses going from AC into summer heat.

More likely if it's the temperature, it's because some parts change size more quickly than others as reaction to temperature, and perhaps gum up in the process.

"Solution: don't subject to temperature shock--hold it in your hand while going out, or keep it in a coat pocket so it adjusts slowly and smoothly.

aethier
Oct 1, 2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Makosuke

According to Apple's page, the thing should work down to zero C, which is pretty darned cold, so it can't just be an issue of getting a bit chilly...

Gee, you musnt go to cold places very often, here in Montréal, in winter, we get as low as -40 Celcius with the windchill factor. when its starts to get to 0 in like April, or Febuary, everyone is excited because spring is comming and all the snow melts. then mother nature decides in April to let it freeze and snow agian...:mad:
well in july we get as high as 35-40 C (85-104F) plus humidity...:rolleyes:

anyways sorry for that off topic ramble..

aethier

fraeone
Oct 2, 2003, 02:15 PM
If it's indeed a condensation problem, then using the same method that a photographer uses with their film should work:

If you're going to a cold environment, put the ipod in an airtight container (tupperware or something). Let the temperature of the air in the container adjust to the colder weather, and then open it up and pull out your ipod. That should keep the condensation out.