PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook back order

warumono
Oct 1, 2003, 12:45 PM
I ordered from MacConnection more than two weeks ago for a 15" 1.25Ghz Powerbook. They still have not shipped. Anybody else out there experiencing a delay in their order?

I'm sure there are a lot of orders for the 15", but I'm wondering if there's any snag in Apple's production line...

bankshot
Oct 1, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by warumono
I ordered from MacConnection more than two weeks ago for a 15" 1.25Ghz Powerbook. They still have not shipped.

Yeesh, that's not good to hear. I was going to order from MacConnection because their bundle with the extra 512 MB memory was a pretty good deal. Their website says 3-7 days, and that's cutting it close for me. I HAVE to have these machines (2 15" PowerBooks) by the 15th or so. A week or two delay and I might as well not order them at all (I really wish I could afford to wait, but this is for work and I can't).

Hmm. I wonder if the brick-and-mortar Apple stores will let you get more memory in-store. I know they don't do other build to order options, but maybe memory is easy enough that they'll install it for you right there. There are 6 Apple stores within an hour of here (southern CA) so walking into a store and grabbing any they have is certainly a last minute option. But they have both memory slots filled for a total 512 MB, and I really want 1 GB. I suppose I'll just stop by one and ask...

Anyway, I can't offer any insight, but I sure am interested in knowing how your order goes... :)

Manimac
Oct 1, 2003, 10:09 PM
Same thing here - ordered 9/23 - still in backorder as of 10/1.

Trying to look on the positive side, I hope this gets me closer to Panther release so that I have a shot at low cost/free upgrade.

oldschool
Oct 2, 2003, 01:16 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

MacBoyX
Oct 2, 2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by bankshot
Yeesh, that's not good to hear. I was going to order from MacConnection because their bundle with the extra 512 MB memory was a pretty good deal. Their website says 3-7 days, and that's cutting it close for me. I HAVE to have these machines (2 15" PowerBooks) by the 15th or so. A week or two delay and I might as well not order them at all (I really wish I could afford to wait, but this is for work and I can't).

Hmm. I wonder if the brick-and-mortar Apple stores will let you get more memory in-store. I know they don't do other build to order options, but maybe memory is easy enough that they'll install it for you right there. There are 6 Apple stores within an hour of here (southern CA) so walking into a store and grabbing any they have is certainly a last minute option. But they have both memory slots filled for a total 512 MB, and I really want 1 GB. I suppose I'll just stop by one and ask...

Anyway, I can't offer any insight, but I sure am interested in knowing how your order goes... :)

Well the PB's have 2 user accessible SODIMM slots and the Apple Retail store will be happy to fill both slots with 512MB of RAM, give you the 2x256MB SODIMMs and charge you a small fortune. It can be done, but not cheaply. If you do this, and buy Apple Care at the same time it makes the memory covered under Apple Care. You might be better off to go pick up the PB and order the memory from crucial.com it's certainly going to be cheaper plus they have free over night shipphing via Fed Ex.

Memory is very easy to install.

Good luck.

macboyX

bankshot
Oct 2, 2003, 06:50 PM
Well, I called MacConnection last night and they had 195 15" PowerBooks on backorder. They were supposed to get a shipment from Apple this week but the lady acted like you never know with Apple and they were getting frustrated themselves. Unfortunately, that's not a good enough guarantee when I really need these machines sometime next week.

I found a local place (non-Apple store, all the ones near here that I called were out of stock) that had 6 SuperDrive models in stock today. I've been scrambling around the company trying to get the purchase paperwork pushed through, so hopefully a buyer will have it tomorrow morning and this place won't be out of stock yet (crosses fingers).

Regardless of who has what, it does sound like Apple is having trouble keeping up with a very healthy demand!

Winston Smith
Oct 3, 2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by oldschool
http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

So like others I'm in back order to, just got an E-Mail from Apple saying second week of October. (So vague they might just as well have added maybe-if your lucky)

Then oldschool post the link above, beautifully written to make me salivate even more. IF I knew when the PB was coming coming I could plan a box opening and welcome screen party!