PDA

View Full Version : Apple blossoms as Windows wilts

MacBytes
Dec 16, 2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Apple blossoms as Windows wilts (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20071217000702)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

sushi
Dec 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
Interesting read.

As Mac sales increase, I hope that the quality control remains as good or better.

Fuchal
Dec 17, 2007, 12:00 AM
Interesting read.

As Mac sales increase, I hope that the quality control remains as good or better.

Apple quality control is pretty horrible right now, so I surely hope it gets better.

Wild-Bill
Dec 17, 2007, 12:02 AM
Interesting read.

If it remains as is then we're all in big trouble. Apple's Quality Control is failing miserably.

LaDirection
Dec 17, 2007, 12:03 AM
Apple quality control is pretty horrible right now, so I surely hope it gets better.

Amen.

nagromme
Dec 17, 2007, 12:41 AM
I can't remember a time when people didn't say Apple's quality control hadn't recently gotten terrible :p I suspect the statistics don't bear out any drastic increase in problems. There always have been some, and always will be. But not more than the competition, and very often less. (Which doesn't make the problems any more fun when you're the unlucky one.)

bretm
Dec 17, 2007, 01:11 AM
I can't remember a time when people didn't say Apple's quality control hadn't recently gotten terrible :p I suspect the statistics don't bear out any drastic increase in problems. There always have been some, and always will be. But not more than the competition, and very often less. (Which doesn't make the problems any more fun when you're the unlucky one.)

Consumer Reports puts them as number one way ahead of the pack in repair record and consumer service.

Sadly the bigger the fan you are and the more you follow the boards, the more you hear what sounds like "everybody" having problems with a bad batch of motherboards, lcds, etc. but in truth it's a miniscule number.

MacsRgr8
Dec 17, 2007, 06:08 AM
Sadly the bigger the fan you are and the more you follow the boards, the more you hear what sounds like "everybody" having problems with a bad batch of motherboards, lcds, etc. but in truth it's a miniscule number.

Exactly.
A friend of mine works at a reseller as a repair technician, and as his job is to repair broken Macs, those broken Macs are the only ones he sees.
In his perception all Macs are terrible....

twoodcc
Dec 17, 2007, 07:34 AM
nice article. looking forward to next month!

Eraserhead
Dec 17, 2007, 10:41 AM
Consumer Reports puts them as number one way ahead of the pack in repair record and consumer service.

Apple is only better than other consumer machines (which are usually a lot cheaper) they aren't as good as business machines (which are usually a similar price to Macs)

If it remains as is then we're all in big trouble. Apple's Quality Control is failing miserably.

Definitely, certainly given the quality of my Macbook.

cwt1nospam
Dec 17, 2007, 10:53 AM
Apple is only better than other consumer machines (which are usually a lot cheaper) they aren't as good as business machines (which are usually a similar price to Macs)
Dells and HPs are similarly priced as Macs. Sometimes higher. Their hardware quality isn't better than Apple's.
Definitely, certainly given the quality of my Macbook.
You've had a bad experience recently, and I think that's clouding your judgement. On the flip side, my sister-in-law loves her Macbook, and she's had none of the problems others have reported. I've personally checked her system looking for signs of them.

The fact that she's had a great experience with her Macbook doesn't make Apple perfect anymore than yours indicates quality control issues.

Eraserhead
Dec 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
Dells and HPs are similarly priced as Macs. Sometimes higher. Their hardware quality isn't better than Apple's.

I would usually agree, but I can get a Dell Latitude (the expensive, reliable business model) with 3 Year next business day onsite warranty and 2GB RAM for less than a midrange Macbook (the other specs are as close as possible).

You've had a bad experience recently, and I think that's clouding your judgement.

That is probably true, however I know many other people with Macbooks and problems, and not just on the "Macbook sucks" threads in this forum.

MonkeyClaw
Dec 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
Well this is cool news, kinda sad, a part of me wanted Apple to remain a niche brand but oh well, the times are a changin I guess. As for quality control, forums defiantly make it seem worse than it really is. For every complaint, there are 50 others who have had no issues at all.

Pretty much every single major piece of computer hardware I own was made by apple, and the only thing I have had issues with is the LCD and thats because I bought it used off ebay and the backlight converter board was already bad when it got here. Other than that, these devices have been some of the most reliable things I own and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

On the other hand, my brother went through 3 iPods after he got his first 3 years ago. I guess it really is just luck of the draw but I'm pretty confident in saying out of what I have seen, us apple users are pretty damn lucky when it comes to quality control.

mainstreetmark
Dec 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
I would usually agree, but I can get a Dell Latitude (the expensive, reliable business model) with 3 Year next business day onsite warranty and 2GB RAM for less than a midrange Macbook (the other specs are as close as possible).

We retired my Dell Latitude after 3 months of unreliable service. Persistent network issues. Daily reboots (my record was 12). Even the little plastic thing on one of the expansion ports broke off. There's bad consumer experience everywhere.

I'm back on a MBP with VMWare.

Stubbs84
Dec 17, 2007, 12:43 PM
What people have not been exploring in these arguments is that even if you find a pc with more high performance parts at a comparable mac price, you are still running windows vista! Oh, and if you want to downgrade to xp pro, that'll cost you $99 extra. Let's not forget that macs spend a lot more time finding the parts that work best with their software. I can't tell you how many compatitbility issues I've had with PCs. As mac gets bigger they will have to dedicate more people to costumer service and debugging of their products. Compared to windows, the updates you get from osx actually do something, or at least you can realize what's being done. It still doesn't change the fact that on average people will want a new mac way before they'll actually need one, contrasted to a pc where it is easier to buy a new one than trying to remove viruses and malicious spyware that lurks around every .dll file. Have faith in a company that makes everything and doesn't throw you around saying "it's a dell problem, no it's a microsoft issue," whatever it is it's keeping people buying new PCs.

gerardrj
Dec 17, 2007, 12:51 PM

How? I started with the lowest cost 14" notebook at something like $869. I then upped the CPU to 2.2Ghz, 5400RPM 120GB drive, Wifi 802.11n, bluetooth, enhanced screen and I get a price of $1605, or $1315 after the "$290 instant savings"
Adding the Dell recommended and required things like anti-virus, anti-spyware, and data transfer software(which is built in to the Mac OS) and the next day service you mentioned I come out at $1,610 after the $298 instant savings. This is not only not lower than the mid-line MacBook, its higher than the top-of-the-line black MackBook.

And I grant you the Dell has more RAM and a larger screen.
I'd go configure a MacBook with 2GB and AppleCare but the Apple Store is currently down for updating. :)

Edit: Okay the store is back up, The mid-line MacBook with 2GB RAM and 3 year AppleCare: $1,698.
Depending on how you look at it, that's either $88 more expensive or $386 less expensive with or without the "Dell instant savings", respectively.

Now lets see... which one comes with a built-in camera, video conferencing, audio, video and music management software built in?

solvs
Dec 17, 2007, 10:18 PM
I work on both Macs and "business" PCs for a living, and I wouldn't say that's true. While there have been some issues, I won't defend Apple for everything, a majority of them work fine. There are more people using Macs now, more new users, there are going to be more complaints and more issues popping up. There are definitely things Apple could work on, always have been actually (ask anyone with a G3 iBook logic board issue, or the bad capacitors of the first G5 iMacs, or the eMac video card issues), but again, time after time, Apple still ranks at the top of every reliability ratings list. Even if we're looking at high end machines from Dell, HP, and Lenova, which we have whole teams to support at work, and need them.